It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists discover more than 30 viruses frozen in ice, most never seen before

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Here come the viruses! Scientists studying melting Glaciers in Western China found about 33 viruses and 28 of these viruses hadn't been discovered before. These scientists fear that as these Glaciers melt the virus will escape into an unsuspecting populous and menace populations worldwide. Ok, maybe not so dramatic but this is concerning; we don't know what viruses/ bacteria/ illnesses are trapped under the ice just waiting to be unleashed.

A group of scientists discovered ancient viruses frozen in two ice samples taken from the Tibetan Plateau in China, and most of them are unlike anything ever seen before.

The findings, published Wednesday in the journal Microbiome, came from ice cores taken in 2015 that scientists said began to freeze at least 14,400 years ago.

“These glaciers were formed gradually, and along with dust and gases, many, many viruses were also deposited in that ice," Zhi-Ping Zhong, lead author and researcher at the Ohio State University Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center, said in a statement. "The glaciers in western China are not well-studied, and our goal is to use this information to reflect past environments. And viruses are a part of those environments."

When researchers analyzed the ice, they found genetic codes for 33 viruses. Of the 33, genetic codes for four of them showed they are part of virus families that typically infect bacteria. Up to 28 were novel, meaning they had never before been identified.

Should we be worried yet, ATS? We're so busy fighting each other over political differences right now that no one is even paying attention to this.

www.yahoo.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 11:02 PM
link   
So these are antediluvian viruses...interesting.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Cover story for another lab leak ??

Glaciers have been melting for thousands of years. I am more worried about their labs leaking man-made viruses designed to infect humans.
edit on 22-7-2021 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Glaciers have been melting for thousands of years. I am more worried about their labs leaking man-made viruses designed to infect humans.

But what if the ideas about ancient advanced human civs are valid and these ARE man made weapon grade lil' wrigglies, huh?

And as to the thread's title, don't 60% of the grade B horror flicks start with this?

edit on 7/22/2021 by Baddogma because: removed an e and an s

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Were there wet markets back then?

Asking for a Fauci.

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

And as to the thread's title, don't 60% of the grade B horror flicks start with this?

We should be so lucky. I could really go for a virus that makes hot babes take off their clothes. All because of quantum gain of function dilithium midichlorians. You know, science stuff.

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

We should be so lucky. I could really go for a virus that makes hot babes take off their clothes. All because of quantum gain of function dilithium midichlorians. You know, science stuff.

Gotta love 'science stuff.'

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I sounded the alarm about this years ago now it seems to be at our doorstep.

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I dunno. Just sound to me like yet another lead in for GLOBAL WARMING IS BAD!! VERY BAD!! LOOK WHAT IT IS NOW UNLEASHING ON YOU ALL!!!!!!!

Is Al Gore involved in this at all?

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 12:43 AM
link   
How you mean? a reply to: lostbook

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

A virus that makes hot babes take their clothes off? What happened to good ol' fashioned vodka cocktails?

ahem...

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 01:52 AM
link   
there's a lab in wuhan they should give them to so they can study them for our safety /s

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 05:32 AM
link   

This is great news.... just what we all want... more viruses in the World!

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 07:54 AM
link   
What could go wrong .... Don't worry, the CDC and the NIAID will take HIV-1 capsid and splice it into one of these beasts for COVID-27

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Looking forward to gaining more superpowers from all the subsequent vaccines I'll need.

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Didn't The Thing come from the Antarctic?

edit on 23-7-2021 by NobodySpecial268 because: Sigh

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: NobodySpecial268
Didn't the Thing come from the arctic?

In the novel, the film was the Antarctic.

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thankyou, dutifully corrected

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Books like The Coming Plague report that are around two million types of viruses in the wild, and although many are not harmful to humans, most have not been identified, and we have vaccines or treatment for only a fraction of that.

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The scary point many have missed is this... Its the fact they were found in China

They could quite easily study and tinker with those bad boys in their BSL4 labs and have bio-weapons we wouldn't even know how to defend against, no wonder they've been stealing and buying from western institutions, they know exactly whats in our labs, another major strategic fail by western national security types, sell their souls to the devil for a envelope of cash

top topics

<<   2 >>

join