It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Castlevania Rondo of Blood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Hey ats gamers hope your week started off good.

I’m off all week on vacation my wimmins has some things needed done so I got a bit of time in between certain things and decided to dig into castlevania rondo of blood on the requiem version on PS4. I knew about this game a long time ago probably almost 20 some years and never had a pc engine to play it but I have a great love for the series and own almost all of them on original hardware with the exception of this one and the arcade board and I believe kid Dracula.

Any ways I have it ported to the ps4 and I really dig it, has a ridiculous difficulty curve when you get to stage 7 so far I haven’t beaten that yet but really liked the direction they went with branching paths and alternate boss fights. I like the animation, music, and for the most part the feel of the game. Another thing I really appreciate is the desperation death attacks most bosses have at completion of the fight super cool.

I was wondering if any of you out here on ats had this game on release and what you think of it? I don’t know if I can say it is better then super castlevania or bloodlines because I grew up with them along side the 3 originals on the nes. Let me know what you guys think.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

I have a phobia of Boss music.

I think I must have been psychologically damaged by a certain console in my childhood.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Never had it on release. It came out in Japan. But i've emulated it a bunch with the English patch. It's definitely the best of the linear style castlevania games by far. The level design is awesome, the graphics and sound are really great, the branching paths and hidden stuff makes replays fun.

I kind of liked Bloodlines better than super myself. And, I'll admit, i even actually enjoyed castlevania 64. Gotta say though, SOTN, Aria of Sorrow and Order of Ecclessia are probably my favourite Castlevania games though.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Can I get this on PC?

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Look for castlevania requiem it comes with sotn and rondo of blood and may be on steam. The ps4 port is weird, it’s original opening animation is in German and the rest is in English so strange because sotn is %100 ported from the original PlayStation and actually works quite a bit faster in regards to combat and it’s interfacing with menus and dialogue skipping while rondo of blood is very 1988-1990 like in its ui and strange it’s blended up between two dialogue

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Looked into it, you can’t get the port I am playing but you can emulate it. Two things here emulation is a cool things preserves games like this etc etc makes them available to folks who couldn’t have purchased them 24 years ago etc etc. this game deserves to be played in its punishing player skill player learning ability IMO emulation again I have no issue with but playing one screen to another using save states kind of trivializes the experience as this game is hard as nails. It took me almost 2 hours to beat the mid game boss death and his rng with throwing blades at you is never the same pattern the same way his second phase when he throws one hit kills at you come and go and when you get to the third phase it’s all skill and timing and by that point unless your a master it will be a one hit kill. Playing emulation if you can refrain from save stating every room will be a great experience. Hell I thought the game was going to be over after level 6 with the boss rush I thought I was going to Dracula next but instead I keep getting my poop pushed in by shaft at the end of stage 7. This is after I figured out how to defeat the bats on a falling down bridge, work my way through the clock tower, fight through the sword nights and bone machine guns that “whip their hair back and forth” manage the platforms and then have to pixel perfect back flipping to get your shins kicked by a zombie wyvern. It’s a hard but awesome game.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I grew up with Castlevania and I've loved just about every Castlevania game I've played. Can't say I've played all of them however.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Play this one it’s definitely cool, idk if I expressed it well but I knew about this one when I was a kid and never got a chance to play it myself until recently it is worth it especially because it is the prequel to sotn and I definitely had that and never got a lot of the references back to rondo of blood but there is so much there

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I only have the remake on psp, and castlevania x on my wii u from the virtual console. Great games, but super castlevania 4 is still my favorite.

edit on 19-7-2021 by Rekrul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Yeah retroarch has a PC-engine emulator that works well. Retroarch is available on just about every platform.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Pretty much any castlevania is good. Konami is more interested in "gamble arcades" now. Such a shame.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Or you can just emulate it on PC in 10 minutes.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rekrul
I only have the remake on psp, and castlevania x on my wii u from the virtual console. Great games, but super castlevania 4 is still my favorite.

Dracula x on the psp is the worst port of the game I’m playing now, I do own it and I have it on the same platform. It’s a lazy port IMO the rondo of blood is way better. I actually used a program called synthesia to record to music so I can learn how to play it on my electronic piano.

Also they have castlevania chronicles on steam xbone n any ps platform which has all original nes releases, game boy, snes, and sega with bloodlines but does not have rondo but does have another turbo graphix 16 exclusive kid Dracula which I have not played yet even though I do have kid dracula on my game boy and game boy color.
edit on 20-7-2021 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I knew about this one when I was a kid and never got a chance to play it 

Same. Nintendo games were frigging expensive.

Street Fighter 2 Turbo cost me 65 pounds, in the 1990's...

Seriously.
edit on 2272021 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Thanks man.

posted on Jul, 23 2021 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

I knew about this one when I was a kid and never got a chance to play it 

Same. Nintendo games were frigging expensive.

Street Fighter 2 Turbo cost me 65 pounds, in the 1990's...

Seriously.

Actually this was a Japanese turbo graphix 16 exclusive published by Konami kind of like castlevania bloodlines was exclusive to the sega genesis

top topics

join