It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space technology that can help us preserve our environment on Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Nowadays satellite technology became so advanced that it can be used as an assistant for scientists in some environmental preservation issues. However, most people think that those microsatellites are useless and only increase the number of space junk. What do you think about that point?

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I think that soon space junk collection will be a growth industry, and it necessarily must be for space to truly be used for the benefit of mankind (well really the benefit of a handful of greedy billionaires but you know)

I saw one proposal where a satellite would magnetise space junk to itself and then depart the Earth’s orbit. Seemed pretty cool.

Remember to tip your space garbageman, else you may find your car has been crushed by a falling satellite!

edit on 1372021 by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: james00

One of the cool things about many of the new gen micro satts is that they are so small that when they reach the end of their life they will just burn up in the atmosphere as gravity does its thing.

It remains to be seen if they enable any environmental protection/benefits before they burn up..
I know they are trying to use them to monitor stuff like rainfall/land use/crop management etc.

But I remain sceptical as to weather thats a good thing or if humans are taking things a bit too far when it comes to our micro managing of mother natures systems.

Years ago I did want my own sattelite though-I wanted one that could follow and film a hundred yards ahead of wherever my car is on the road,giving me info about when its safe or not safe to overtake(even on blind corners).

That would have been useful-but it now looks obselete as it seems they have decided that future humans will be "driving" round in autoplot AI cars.

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka
The space junk issue now is a real problem for space industries all around the globe. We are close now to Kessler syndrome. It is a state where the object density is so high that one collision is enough to generate a cascade effect, leading to further collisions.

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 09:25 AM
link   

It has been speculated that the first trillionaire will be whoever solves the space junk problem. I can see that happening at some point in the near future, not sure how they'll do it but whoever figures that out is going to be insanely rich.

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: james00
Nowadays satellite technology became so advanced that it can be used as an assistant for scientists in some environmental preservation issues. However, most people think that those microsatellites are useless and only increase the number of space junk. What do you think about that point?

It can help figure out what's happening with the environment, find lost ancient cities, track traffic patterns, and a thousand other things.

But philosophy and politics is apparently stronger than actual data.

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

It has been speculated that the first trillionaire will be whoever solves the space junk problem. I can see that happening at some point in the near future, not sure how they'll do it but whoever figures that out is going to be insanely rich.

Whoever can implement it is already insanely rich.

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

You got that right, once they inject politics into data/technology it becomes detrimental.

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Very true, however it wouldn't shock me if one or more of the mini satellites that spacex ferries up are studying the practical way it can be done. I'm sure there would be either a partnership or sale of the process, if there's not already an initiative under way at spacex.

posted on Jul, 13 2021 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

Very true, however it wouldn't shock me if one or more of the mini satellites that spacex ferries up are studying the practical way it can be done. I'm sure there would be either a partnership or sale of the process, if there's not already an initiative under way at spacex.

My crazy Starlink theory is that it's designed to nullify all but a very select few radio transmissions coming from Earth so that we will essentially be invisible to any Reaper / Berserker horde zooming around space looking for brains to eat.

Or something along those lines. Perhaps a holographic projector to make us invisible, maybe.

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I`d like to say a few words about those microsatellites I`ve mentioned in the topic of the thread. On this website you may find different usage of microsatellites in the environmental preservation campaign. I was staggered there are special satellite technology that can observe coral reefs in order to help scientists to save them and satellite technology that aimed at tracking rare species of animals to prevent them from being killed by poachers and not becoming extinct

posted on Jul, 14 2021 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Use them for Microwave Power Transmission for Energy here on Earth?

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Interesting idea
) I guess you watched too many Hollywood movies. Btw the same kind of stuff was used in the movie
Spiderman far from home)

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 09:10 AM
link   
ESA and NASA are going to make a partnership in the environmental project. The first-ever partnership of its kind is based on observing Earth and environmental issues. This campaign will be based on observing the Earth from space with the help of satellite technology in order to save the environment on Earth. Such kind of stuff will be observed like coral reefs, glaciers, and other things that are in danger now.

top topics

join