It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Destined To Be Ingested: Worst movie ever made, or brilliant pastiche?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 02:17 PM
link   
In my lock-down lonesomeness I came across the movie Destined to Be Ingested (2008).
The movie appeared in my YouTube as "Cannibals", while a previous title was apparently Holocaust Holocaust.
It seems even the title of this amusing shipwreck of a turkey is as indistinct as the thematic genre and subject matter(s).

Strikingly, even the cannibal tribe is racially indistinct, consisting of a "native" core with all kinds of genetic and material "blow-ins", despite the fact that they are extremely xenophobic on their little island.
If you thought the 2005 rendition of King Kong featured a tribe with such confusing heritage that it could make an anthropologist's brain explode, this is even more cerebral dynamite for the "armchair Margaret Meads", such as myself.
And perhaps this low-budget cauldron of genres was also a dig at Hollywood re-inventions of material from the 1980's and 1970's, as well as exploitation films from those decades.

And indeed, the setting is 1987, done stylistically well enough to make you think this is one of those movies you got from the corner video store on a rainy day.
Or so it begins, but it actually has several parts and fluctuating genres.
It moves from a potential shark movie, to a brief dalliance with hedonism on the beach, to a potential slasher/cannibal movie, to a cross-cultural love story and finally into a zombie flick.
Despite being adult-themed, the gore, illegal substances and sex never move into true X-rated territory, but it nevertheless ends up being rather weird.

In the first part two obese male characters defy political correctness with mutual fat-shaming insults, yet in a salute to body-positivity they also proudly flaunt their (now how shall I put it?) "generous" male physiques without an inkling of shame (never nude, but close).
A nice inclusive touch, and realistic for the 1980's.
Even for 2008, I take my hat off to those two actors, and as we furthermore see, their characters are "bros" of the highest order.

Similarly intriguing is the setting of the supposed tropical island, most of which was shot in the eastern US woodlands of Vermont:

Filming in Vermont was one way to keep expenses low, especially after spending about a week in the British Virgin Islands to film the scenes on the beach and the boat.

addisonindependent.com...

It only cost 15 000 Dollars to make, and although the aims in the above link may have been slightly lofty, I would dare to call it a "classic".
And yip, when the Addison County Independent proudly reported that a "cannibal love story" was being filmed in their neck of the woods, it was partially true.

But tastes vary.
What does the popcorn gallery of ATS think?

This link includes a trailer:
www.imdb.com...
Here's the YouTube link where I floated upon it:
www.youtube.com...
edit on 3-7-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 02:34 PM
link   
as reply to: halfoldman

Watched the trailer. Years ago I would have watched this, it's only an hour twenty so it's probably bearable.

This movie is proof anybody can make a movie.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Any good titty flashes?

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Homefree

The producer probably.
edit on 3-7-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

This looks awful!

Imma have to give it a watch.

www.imdb.com...

And I know hilarious awful films..
I've worked on set from Cameron Romero (son of George) Tom Savini....

And one of the worst comedic serious god I laughed out loud in the theatre... after it was released. www.imdb.com...

Then an even worse film... Kevin Nash is a hell of a guy but a Keto nut when not eating food. 😆😆
Nah he is a very big softy. www.imdb.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I guess the first part of this movie shows that chubby guys can pull hot ladies.

And I must say myself, the skipper of the yacht is somewhat cute and fuzzy.

The only sensible person in the flick.
He rolls himself a smoke.
Then he views a native attack on shore, and he's like "hasta la vista" sweeties, I'm out of here.
I may be lost at sea, but I'll be found, and so-long yuppie scum.

As for the soap-opera, cross cultural love story ...
First learn our native tongue.
"Me - Anna".
His translation, "Anna means chin. You are a chin"?
Silly white chick, let's swim together.

Then they kiss, and love bites.
Surprisingly romantic, but careful there - he's a cannibal.
"Ooh, got your earlobe".
"Got your kidney", giggles.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 05:17 PM
link   
After 6 months of hiding his love in his shelter, he takes her to the village.

The shaman has a fit: "Nooo ... nooo ... she may not enter"!
Why not?
Because we don't treat football injuries and she looks like she swallowed a soccer ball!
OK, we're also slightly racist and xenophobic, but considering that technically only white people can be racist, that's not a good excuse.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 05:31 PM
link   
When a firm anti-drug stance furthers a survival situation between couples.

"You're not allowed to have those three beers".

"Why not"?

"Because I just threw 3000 USD worth of coke into the sea".

"You what? Now I need those beers".

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The review by the Horror Society:

www.horrorsociety.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Message in a bottle:

"Dear Civilization:

Please send us some vegans or normal BMI castaways to snack on.

If we keep eating these portly dudes, the entire tribe will develop cholesterol problems.

Hungrily yours,
The Cannibal tribe."

top topics

join