It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bringing Scientific Fun to Colorado's Front Range...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Havamal

I genuinely believe that kids, and even adults coming from a place of ignorance (not a bad word!), have exceptionally valuable input. Some of the best ideas, refinements, and input I have ever received pertaining to my own work has come from people (adults or kids) that didnt really know anything about it.

Where we might differ is that in that circumstance by the pond, I probably would have "banned" all sources of information (internet, books, etc) and encouraged them to explore it directly for themselves using the general premises of the scientific method. Then, when they had some basic working hypotheses and foundations, those assumptions would be tested and eventually compared to sources on the internet, books, etc.

With literally billions of iterations of "human," who is to say which one is correct? I have to imagine it comes down to the individual in question.. But I do believe that when neurological structures are being formed in childhood, that it would be beneficial to focus on how to actually learn and explore these things personally and directly.

Even just in the case of the cake-a-pults, we might even end up seeing a kid come up with something that shakes the foundation of the event, or maybe even the world. Inspiration and innovation can come from the most peculiar places! All merely because we encouraged massive innate creativity directed through the concepts of the scientific method, but without boundaries or constraints on the final product/results.

In a sense, I believe common core education tries to somewhat go in this direction.. But I feel it utterly fails in some very critical ways.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: Havamal

You find flakes of gold in Muddy Creek? The Muddy Creek in Northern Lancaster County?

Flakes?

Perhaps someone put some gold leaf in the river to prepare the site?

But kudos for the OP and the involvement!

edit on 22/6/2021 by chr0naut because: I'm such a cynic!

<< 1   >>

join