It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird anomaly or Covid cure?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 06:38 AM
link   
There is an observational theory being discussed by the locals where I live. People who use opiates or who are on methadone (an opiate substitute) have never gotten seriously ill from covid. They jokingly tell me that methadone is a covid cure.

This matches up with what my nurse friend told me, who was working on the hospital wards during lockdown, dealing with admissions. She said that not one drug addict had been admitted to hospital with covid symptoms. The only people dying in hospital were those who are obese or have heart problems, despite covid being a respiratory disease.

Opiate addicts typically have weakened immune systems and can have also have heart, liver and lung problems due to abusing their body with drugs over the years and most would be classed as a high risk group. Why is it then that none appear to be getting seriously ill?

Does anyone have any similar examples or is this just a weird anomaly where I live?!

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: daftpink

There was something about nicotine having a positive effect from sometime last year I think.

Love the username.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 06:51 AM
link   

I think that this is what's technically know as being "a hoax". If it were true it would have been obvious due to the number of elderly people taking opiates for arthritis or joint pain.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody

I read that with smokers and COPD the mucus layer gives sort of protection in combination with ACE2 receptors being on lower count then. Since this is anecdotal, I wouldn't advise to start smoking to prevent getting covid though.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

It's certainly not a hoax, that would imply my nurse friend was lying to me, trying to trick me, and that the dozens of people who've spoken to me are all in on the same hoax too. I'm just relaying observations by many people.

I get your point about prescribed opiate use for the elderly etc, but do we have any evidence yet on this, even if anecdotal? Ths is why I am asking on ATS. I find it interesting

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Hah, that's some good advice.

Thanks for the clarification!

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 07:47 AM
link   
There might be something in this.I know five people who are on methadone,daily dispense.All through the so called pandemic they have been everyday collecting their methadone from a chemist which is bang in the middle of a local Morrisons supermarket.
None have had covid 19 and only two know someone who has tested positive.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 07:48 AM
link   

I have never used opiates or methadone and I have not got covid? Sounds very anecdotal but sure let's all go out and start using opiates and methadone so we don't get covid

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: HONROC

I am sure this is what daftpink was trying to tell us.

Not.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Well , Tobacco Smokers have been Reported to have Low Cases of Covid-19 .

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Alcohol and tobacco have worked for me so far.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: HONROC

I have never used opiates or methadone and I have not got covid? Sounds very anecdotal but sure let's all go out and start using opiates and methadone so we don't get covid

I think you misunderstood my post a little bit. Some of the people taking opiates HAVE caught covid, they just haven't become seriously ill from it (when its more likely they should have)...which is obviously the whole problem with covid. Codeine, which you can buy from a pharmacy, contains opiates. Im very clearly not suggesting people start using opiates for no reason. But if an opiate based medication prevents you getting seriously ill from covid, then I think we'd all wanna know about it. After all - that's the sole purpose of the vaccine! To prevent you from becoming seriously ill from covid.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
a reply to: HONROC

I am sure this is what daftpink was trying to tell us.

Not.

Another bleach injector...

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Well, methyl suppresses RNA and DNA replication so I can understand why the meth users are somewhat protected. By doing so it also suppresses cell regeneration...that is why they get marks on their faces and in other areas some times, they do not repair as well..

Other things that do the same thing with no large buzz are the leaves and oils of Mint family plants...and of course coffee.

Tie that to flavonoid compounds that also act on dampening the replication of viruses and I can see that it could help everyone. I like those little chocolate covered thin mints sometimes. Other plants also have methyl in them other than the mint family are plants like sage and rosemary...although they may be in the mint family for all I know.

The reason speed gives you energy is because it pulls the energy from repairing and regeneration of the body. Methyl also directly kills lots of microbes, but I do not know if it is because of this same method of action.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I don't know that all opiate addicts have compromised immune systems. Opiates themselves are well tolerated by the body, just don't hit toxicity levels. Other illicit hard drugs cause far more damage. Needle use is of course problematic, but there are many that don't use needles..I'm referring to them I guess. Now..the lifestyle is a whole other thing. Living the hustle can certainly wear any human down. If on methadone though, they are likely somewhat stable. JM2c

There was not any big outbreaks with our addict population, about 4-5 deaths a day..from overdose, minimal covid. I suspect the reason is, they keep to themselves.
edit on 6-6-2021 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Probably most addicts smoke as well?

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I smoke cigars, still alive and kicking with no issues yet really. Supposedly had Covid like a year ago but thought it was just a cold honestly. Can't understand the need for an experimental shot for something so paltry in regards to it's lethality.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I'm an RN, I had several patients on narcotic pain meds die from covid.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 10:25 PM
link   
It's also anecdotal that opiate users don't get flues or colds either (yeah, I know the assertions that covid IS the flu, but that's a tangent).

Deprive them of their daily opiates, though, and their body mimics the most severe flu ever.

It IS an interesting connection and would probably allow more insight into immunology, virology, biology and consciousness for that matter; and the observation remains anecdotal and an area that few want to examine, but I've noticed the same thing from long ago. Opiate addicts, given their daily dose, seem to avoid illness in general.

My own guess was that they are too high to notice an infection, but that's a guess and doesn't explain a lack of immune response. It's an observed thing in the subculture ... though I'm sure there are exceptions.

add: people who are ill and then prescribed opiates don't seem to count... the "effect" is seen with habitual users, addicts. Even addicts who are on the street and extremely unhygenic

In short, though, there's a there there... to some degree.
edit on 6/6/2021 by Baddogma because: added and then corrected add
edit on 6/6/2021 by Baddogma because: fix add
extra DIV

posted on Jun, 7 2021 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Wouldn't it have been noticed where palliative care is being given to those in the final stages of COVID-19 pneumonia, if they had suddenly been cured?

new topics

top topics

join