It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Not the Moon?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TheKestrel04

In my opinion, I think we should explore the hidden depths of the 70% of the planet we still haven't explored.

We could create underwater cities, underwater farms.

Then with the science we've developed from that, we could explore the moon, the stars.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 08:22 PM
link   

The chinese are probably making plans for luna bases. And then permanent living areas.
I would bet that the usa is too.

But i think it's easier to build and live on mars due to the water and it's atmosphere being much thicker than the moons.

Does the moon have an atmosphere at all?

Edit: yes the moon has an atmosphere.
www.nasa.gov...
edit on 27-5-2021 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

That is super interesting. I've never heard this before.
It would explain why we never went back.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Our planet is already super complex.
Maybe terraforming a little bit on a "blank" planet could be done.
The planet wouldn't support the diversity of life we see here on earth but it may
be made to support specific life. Life that has tech to compensate.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

I believe in the space babies!
Life will find a way.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

Remember time is relative.
I think it took 100,000's of years to blow off that atmosphere.

If we can create an atmosphere that holds for even hundreds of years that's all humans need.

By the time we need to replenish it we will have better tech.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

We humans are a greedy moronic species.
We can't even figure out this planet, but we ignore that part of the equation and talk about screwing up other planets.
I'd prefer we concentrate and focus on our own planet before screwing all the other ones up.

Lets create a civilized earth first, before venturing out into space like the idiots we have proven to be.
Nukes, genocide, regime changes, corruption, slavery, human trafficking etc etc etc

^^^ This.

Also, the moon is an immensely impractical and expensive investment for building any kind of operation with the resources and engineering knowledge we currently possess. It's technically possible, but ultimately unrewarding. Anything we could put on the moon is already in orbit so it's redundant and overcomplicated and wastes valuable materials we could be putting into weapons on Earth.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

In my opinion, I think we should explore the hidden depths of the 70% of the planet we still haven't explored.

The problem there is pressure. Surface to space pressure change is 14.5 pounds per square inch, also known as one atmosphere. One atmosphere in sea water is just 33 feet down. In space the pressure is conatant, in water it goes up one atmosphere every 33 feet down. Have a small leak in space, you find it and patch it. Have a small leak under water at say 1000 feet down, the stream will cut through you at 440 psi, just like a pressure washer will. Have a big leak in ether and you will never even notice it.

It is technically as hard to get people to 1000 feet underwater as to go into space. Deeper is even harder.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 11:01 PM
link   
The Moon dust problem was discussed in this thread last month.

If anyone is interested, Atomic Rockets is a site made for serious science fiction authors. It covers just about everything space in both fiction and real science. The index is at the bottom of the page.

Much of the information on Moon dust is found in Space Suits.

edit on 5 27 2021 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 09:58 AM
link   
It would be more practical to build an underground base aka Land Based Station than to attempt any terraforming at this time. As mentioned with no mag field on Mars the gases will strip away as they have been doing for 1000s of years. It's a bottomless resource pit in that regard.

I like the idea of underwater cities, obviously you could start near shore and extend outward deeper into the sea. But marine growth will be a pain in the butt and we'll need tons of material to make a large ocean dome, a challenge the Emirate in Dubai would happily take up I assume.

posted on May, 29 2021 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Earth is a mess and the world spends trillions on playing with remote control toys in space . Desalination plants and Fusion energy are way more worth our time & money .

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 02:21 AM
link   
This site is what I believe.
English version you also find on the link.
www.evawaseerst.be...

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Mining rights...google who owns the mining rights on the moon.

The earth is mostly likely a broken off chunk of earth with not much valuable resources.

Mars has the ability to be a whole other ball game

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

Mining rights are irrelevant.
What would it cost to scoop up a pile of loose diamonds on the Moon and transport it back to Earth?
More than what they cost on Earth.
Even if you could reduce that cost, flooding the market would reduce their value anyway.

There is no commodity you could ship back to Earth and make a profit.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join