It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Identifies A New Spider Species

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

# # # # to the hell NO!

I hate spiders, you hear me? I HATE EM! I'll get up close and personal with a snake all day and either kill it for the birds, skin it and cook it, or step on its head, reach down grab it and toss it back into the woods behind my house from whence it came (only did that once with a black and bright turquaz snake). But a spider?

Especially a big ass spider???

That nasty bastard is getting smashed with a baseball bat until my arms turn to jelly.
edit on 3-5-2021 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: 19Bones79

Just when you thought Florida had enough reasons for a giant wall.

If it isn't already, it should be called the doubledown state.

Florida is already the triple down State. What is not to love? Gulf of Mexico on one side, the Atlantic Ocean on the other. Some like it hot, some like it cold.

Florida does not receive measurable snow due to its tropical and subtropical climate, but a combination of freezing temperatures and cold moisture can cause snowfall in the northern parts of Florida including Pensacola, Gainesville, and Jacksonville. Share

Ninety miles from Cuba, and a mere fifty miles to the Caribbean.

Over two-thirds of the state is situated in the peninsula right between Florida Straits. Florida is the third most populous U.S. state with over 21 million inhabitants. It is the eighth most densely populated state (384.3 individuals per square mile). It has the longest shoreline in the U.S. which is about 1,350 miles long minus all its barrier islands. The state has 4,510 islands with ten of them being bigger than an acre.

Interesting Florida

Florida is a amazing. Of course, it is not for everybody, but we have something for everybody. We have our good, and not so good. We are uniquely Florida.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

I had a rat as a pet. She was sweet.

My sister brought a lab rat home once when we were in high school. He'd sit on your shoulder or move from one side to the other, cool as he could be. Other than the unGodly size of his nards, he was a nice rat.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: Night Star

I had a rat as a pet. She was sweet.

My sister brought a lab rat home once when we were in high school. He'd sit on your shoulder or move from one side to the other, cool as he could be. Other than the unGodly size of his nards, he was a nice rat.

"Nice" rat?

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 03:52 PM
link   

That's quite the passionate review.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 03:53 PM
link   
What the hell are those spiders down there that are the size of a dinner plate? Banana spiders? Yeah, these dudes. I don't mind snakes at all, but I hate spiders. Was down in Marco Island staying with a friends family and these dudes built webs from the gutters down to the bushes and would just sit in the middle, I saw some that were HUGE.

arachnoboards.com...

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: rickymouse

I agree. I don't believe there is anything new under the sun.

Just things that are clever enough to make sure we don't know they exist.

The unnatural chemistry we are dumping into the environment and the genetically modified microbes we are creating could force evolution and mutations. But in the case of this spider, I think it is just something that has been around for a while. It could have gotten a ride on a boat from an island or other country, being stuck in someone's luggage or a shipping crate would be probable. But it could also have just been there all along, hiding in the woods.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I see mutations as survival in its truest form, and it may be what saves all life on this planet.

I think all living things adjust and adapt to their slowly changing environment. I view mutations as a hail Mary pass, when stuff gets whack too quickly, and nature has to pull a rabbit out if it's hat.

No link, because this is solely my personal opinion.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Compared to a big nasty stinky spider, heck yes!

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: 19Bones79

All places have something unique about them. Florida just has more than most.

I know it sounds like Florida is my favorite place. It isn't. I was a military brat, moving about every two years. I have lived a lot of places.

Florida is not my favorite, but I think it is one of the most versatile, and the most interesting.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
LOL
Yet another reason to tell my sister NO! when she says I should move down there.
I know it's not rational, but god I hate spiders.
Sneaky B(*&^@#!

Did nobody tell you the cockroaches fly?

And that they're huge?

Palmetto bugs are #ing horrific freaks of nature, give me the orb weaver webs at dawn ANY. TIME down there XD

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Pretty cool to me, as a person who keep tarantula's. My 1st thought on seeing the pic, was..trapdoor spider, and so it is! Not likely to end up in anyones house.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: panoz77
What the hell are those spiders down there that are the size of a dinner plate? Banana spiders? Yeah, these dudes. I don't mind snakes at all, but I hate spiders. Was down in Marco Island staying with a friends family and these dudes built webs from the gutters down to the bushes and would just sit in the middle, I saw some that were HUGE.

arachnoboards.com...

Orb Weavers..harmless, but ya, probably don't really want to walk through the web.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I have a massive amount of respect for spiders.

It's amazing that this species has only just been identified.

Thanks for posting.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

arachnoboards.com...

Orb Weavers..harmless, but ya, probably don't really want to walk through the web.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I live in the woods and those fellows are all over the place. That is why I walk with a walking stick. Though it would come in handy for a lot of things, including snakes, on the ground or in the trees. I use it mostly to the clear the darn spider webs I don't see during the day. If I go out at night with the flashlight, it looks like a spider metropolis in the woods.

This is the fellow most often seen around my house.

All respect to these folks that brought us this video, because I can assure you, this is not the way I remove one from my house.

Just in case you were not creeped out enough, let me introduce you to Mamma.

edit on 3-5-2021 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

originally posted by: vonclod

arachnoboards.com...

Nightmare fuel!!
I wouldn't worry about getting bit, but it would creep me the hell out!
edit on 3-5-2021 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I see mutations as survival in its truest form, and it may be what saves all life on this planet.

I think all living things adjust and adapt to their slowly changing environment. I view mutations as a hail Mary pass, when stuff gets whack too quickly, and nature has to pull a rabbit out if it's hat.

No link, because this is solely my personal opinion.

I have some extra links, we just bought some breakfast pork sausage links the other day when we went to the store.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Good trade. I have some farm fresh eggs to go with them. Just give me a second to collect from the chicken coop.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 07:35 PM
link   

a reply to: Assassin82

I saw the movie.

Nuking it could make it worse.

Everyone knows that radioactive spiders breed Spidermen...

All that infrastructure bound up in layers of nearly indestructible spider-silk. Then you'd need a Hulk to do the "smashy" thing and keep swiping it all away all the time, or them Cree interdimensional ships swooping about...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join