It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you think you know Lennon/McCartney?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2021 @ 11:09 PM
link   
During the mania, the songwriting duo known as "Lennon/McCartney" recognized that music publishing is a lucrative business. They didn't just have to make hit records for themselves, they could give surplus tunes to other artists and cash the checks. And they did!

Here is a great comprehensive list of songs written by Lennon/McCartney (with the odd Harrison credit thrown in,) but not officially released as a record by The Beatles.

I've also heard it speculated that Cool Cat by Queen was gifted by the late John Lennon. It's a very un-Queen like song (in my opinion) and has some Lennon R&B vibes so I can see it. Does anyone have insight on this, or is it just a music history rumor?

Should we talk about Klaatu??

edit on 29-4-2021 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2021 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

You know I love your Mc/Lennon threads; where does Klaatu and calling occupants come into this? Klaatu were the composers

posted on Apr, 29 2021 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

You know I love your Mc/Lennon threads; where does Klaatu and calling occupants come into this? Klaatu were the composers

Both John and Paul have been known to use false names in their credits, pseudonyms. The popular theory at the time was that Klaatu WAS The Fab Four themselves.

in 1977 an article published in the Providence Journal written by journalist Steve Smith, speculated that 3:47 EST could actually be a release by a secretly reunited Beatles recording under a pseudonym, leading to widespread rumours. These rumours were fueled by a number of factors, including the fact that their album was released by Capitol Records (also the Beatles' label), the lack of artist and producer credits or photographs in the album packaging, Klaatu's avoidance of public performances, and the fact that the group's vocal and musical style was reminiscent of the Beatles.[9] In addition, Ringo Starr's 1974 album Goodnight Vienna had featured cover art with Starr appearing in place of the character Klaatu from the movie The Day the Earth Stood Still.[10] The album as a whole had a Beatlesque sound, particularly in the song "Sub-Rosa Subway." [11] The rumor turned into a global phenomenon with Beatles fans being fed "clues" by radio stations and print media alike. Subsequent to the Beatles rumor, the songs "Sub-Rosa Subway" and "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" became minor hits for Klaatu in 1977.

en.wikipedia.org...(band)#Early_releases

edit on 30-4-2021 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 12:46 AM
link   

I'll always love Clapton's solo on While my Guitar Gently Weeps.

Another anonymous contribution by a legend.

John and Paul did harmonies on Under His Satanic Majesty's Request by the Stones. Notably “She's a Rainbow“.

You could never make too many Beatles threads. SnF.

edit on 4/30/2021 by MykeNukem because: bloody beatles

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 01:41 AM
link   

My father owns all of Klaatuu's records and was a huge beatles nut. I recall him going on about the rumours of beatles members involvement when I was a kid in the 80's. Probably the main reason he bought the records.

Not that I can add anything other than confirming the rumour has been around for a very long time, even here in Australia.

But I do like pre-internet mysteries like this.

Edit: I'll also add while I cannot remember specific names, he also went on about how other famous singers and musicians also worked on the albums (or performed on them) under pseudonyms or whatever the official word for fake names is.
edit on 30-4-2021 by AtomicKangaroo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Wow, many thanks

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 03:57 AM
link   

A few more.

John Lennon Co wrote this

Paul McCartney Co wrote these

There are many many more out there.

Nice thread.

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Those days a lot of people thought Klaatu were the Beatles. They sold so many records.

rare.us...

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

What are you going to do at 3:47 ?

It's an important time.

Some members understand why.

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Being a Beatles fan myself, I knew they sold some songs, but I've wondered how prolific they were. I would have guessed more than 26, though that is not an insignificant number.

Anyone who is old enough to remember Klaatu and the rumors surrounding them also knows neither the band or the studio went out of their way to discourage those rumors. They played those rumors for all they were worth, which was a substantial amount. I still have a near mint Klaatu album in storage.

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

I'm in Australia, 3:47pm in my afternoon.

It's an important time.

This is ambiguous, please explain

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I'm in Australia, 3:47pm in my afternoon.

It's an important time.

This is ambiguous, please explain

Sure, it's a really cool story.

3:47 EST is the debut album by the Canadian progressive rock group Klaatu, released in August 1976. The album was renamed Klaatu when released in the United States by Capitol Records.

You must know who was Klaatu.

Now..., check this :

In the 1951 science fiction film The Day the Earth Stood Still, the alien emissary Klaatu arrives in Washington, D.C. at 3:47 in the afternoon Eastern Standard Time. According to a 1981 issue of the group's newsletter, "one of the band's member[s] viewed a screening ... and was immediately impressed by the appropriateness of the character Klaatu's arrival time on earth as the title of the band Klaatu's debut record album".

en.wikipedia.org...:47_EST

edit on 30-4-2021 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Ah I see. Bought back memories. I was so young when I saw this in the 60's. Strait away Michael Rennies name came to mind

new topics

top topics

join