It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NN2021 A private in the Trenches. --non writer--

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2021 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we go
Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we go
Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we go !

A ridiculous banter I com-pulse in my head just before charges , Charges how do I keep coming back from them “ 2 minutes lads ! “ the Captain yells . Our third captain this month What was his name again ? What does it matter ?

Blank stairs all around , No fear , no dreams of being else wear just the sweet release of death I see it in their eyes I feel it in my own . Here it comes thump thump thump , the Germans walking in there cannon fire I don't even hear it I just feel it .

Everything is slow now , Some men begin to shake others pray some curse but most remain quiet . “ 1 minute lads ! “ the Captain yells , what was his name again ? What does it matter ?

Home comes to mind and then shame , for Home is a far away place now.

The cold beneath my feet is my only comfort , the smell of decay, human waste and blood fill my nose replacing any hope of mothers cooking. Shame is all I have because I do not want to return home . My mothers eyes looking for her son only to find an empty shattered mess made so by this place .

Boys go to war to become Men !

Our cannon fire stops .

Quiet , An indescribable quiet filled with the minds of men focused on their own death.

The deep before the plunge .

The whistle blows and I grip my rifle , “ Go get em lads “ the captain yells as he leads the charge over the trench into No Mans Land .

I hear a dull thud like a melon smacking the ground, It's an all too familiar sound .

My Captain beside me his head is gone , I fill the spackle of blood and bone covering my face “Degiorgio ! yeah that was his name finally I remembered “ . I continue running, not quite into the machine gun range it would start soon.

Halfway there gas begins to fill the air , A burning sensation like my insides are on fire. I hit the ground in agony just as the Machine guns open up .

Tracers over head like flowing water men all around me chopped to pieces , screaming , dying you lucky #s I think .

We’re not going to make it , the officers in the rear recognize this .

Our artillery resumes in an attempt to silence the German machine guns , it works .

I crawl back avoiding sniper fire , I heave myself head first back into the trenches, an unwelcome site to say the least .

This is my new normal.

edit on Sun Apr 25 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2021 @ 11:23 PM
link   
For those who have read anything about the trench warfare in WW1 it is hard for me to imagine a darker hell for those people on both sides of that conflict. Every world war they say "Never Again" yet ......

posted on Apr, 25 2021 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

It was a true hell on earth that those men lived through .

It was a battle field full of new weapons and old tactics , it was ripe for slaughter . The Generals who commanded in WW1 are a disgrace the way they used there men.

posted on Apr, 26 2021 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I literally just watched 1917 last night. Reading your story brought up all the horrific images again.
I cannot imagine actually living in such conditions.
Good story.

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

Your story was both visceral and engaging. For me, it almost read like a screenplay. I have an active imagination, and your subtle hints made me see what you were writing.

Quiet , An indescribable quiet filled with the minds of men focused on their own death.
This touched me on a very deep level, taking me to a place which I have put behind me.

Really well written. I was both horrified by and loved your story.

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

I've read your story several times and you are talented beyond me .

So your complements mean a lot think you

new topics

top topics

join