It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia to cancel advanced math high school courses in name of "racial equity"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
and how is it not racist to lower standards because you think people with dark skin are dumber than whites and Asians?

Some are missing the dark Ages, when common people could not read or write and had to be told everything from the top.

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I am a product of the Virginia public education system.
I went K-12 in one county in Virginia that at the time wasnt one of the best school systems but now is rated about the middle vs other counties. A lot of my graduating class went to colleges like UVA, Virginia Tech , MIT, Carnegie Mellon..
I was one of the few that actually graduated from college in 5 years.(yes it took me 5 years due to love of beer but hey I had a good time!).

When parents look at schools they need to look at how many kids actually graduate from college in 5 years in stead of how many go to college. I remember in freshman orientation they told us about 33% graduate so make sure you don’t become a statistic.

My thoughts on this topic:

This is an incredibly destructive policy and will be absolutely horrible in its systemic destruction of self esteem on
ALL CHILDREN.

I have always been a horrible math student with anything
Above Algebra. At the sane time I was the best student in my AP History and AP Government classes. So I was gifted in one area but not another. I was so bad at Algebra 2 I had multiple F grades.

I was doing so bad that my mother took my keys away to the car I bought with my own money for $1000 and I was restricted to riding the cheese wagon in the 11nth grade at 16 years old. Everyone remembers how this was a death sentence if you wanted a girlfriend..lol

My algebra teacher still believed in me though. So much so they she privately tutored me twice a week for 2 months on her own free time after school.

I have ADHD and never took meds but she knew I learned differently by doing the work instead of just learning by lecturing( which interestingly enough is actually the worst way for people to learn anything studies say).

Because she believed in me I started to believe in myself and after 2 months I pulled up that F to A-.
She even had me teaching the quadratic equation to the rest of the class at the end of the semester!

I think our educational system has become too lazy with this one size fits all approach. Let’s just lower the bar for everyone so we can show awesome data on excel spreadsheets to the feds so we can get more money and grants from the department of education.

Instead of really having discernment in the classroom and seeing who needs extra attention let’s just lower the bar enough so we can show to the feds all our students are proficient in adding 2+2=4.

What would happened if that teacher hadn’t told me
“You are just as smart and capable as the other kids.”
“Let’s try a different way to learn for you”

That was such a massive self esteem booster for me in my life at that time. It’s helped me not give up a lot of times in my life when I didn’t understand something.

We need to give all children the opportunity to excel at any subject.

I am forever grateful for that teacher who cared about me and did that for me. I have friends who are teachers and they tell me that never happens now a days.

Can you imagine if that teacher was like
“Don’t worry we have a special test JUST FOR YOU
Cause of your skin color you are different”

GTFOH VIRGINIA

edit on 24-4-2021 by Brassmonkey because: Spelling

edit on 24-4-2021 by Brassmonkey because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 25 2021 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I was a whiz at math and physics in school, I took the highest classes available and tested out of most of the math classes at MTU. I was bored with the simple classes, no challenge. What has race got to do with math classes? Some people go into professions where math is important to know at higher levels. You cannot just rely on computers to do your math, you need to be comfortable with using numbers and geometry.

posted on Apr, 25 2021 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

If you look around you at all of the "professionals" such as doctors, lawyers, and especially educators, there's nothing professional about them. An old Dr., attorney, or educator could find a common sense middle class person in their mid 30's to late 40's with only a high school diploma and teach that person more in a year than today's college students will learn in 4 to 8 years. If you want real professionalism, you have to look for an older Dr. or Indian/Asian. Young black and white "professionals'" are anything but professional. This doesn't mean all but it does mean most. The continuous dumbing things down for students not interested enough to learn is how we got to this point and steadily fall more and more. Education is worthless today and makes it laughable every time a liberal brags about having the majority of educated people in their bloc.

posted on Apr, 25 2021 @ 07:01 AM
link   
For 4 years I was a premed advisor in a MAJOR Univ. I visited Med schools and we had a great relationship with the admissions directors who trusted us to tell the truth about students personalities, etc.

Not so secret were the minimum admissions standards that the Med Schools had:

Asian 4.0 (A+) and nearly perfect MCAT score

White 3.7 (A) and excellent MCAT score

Black 2.9 (C+) and average MCAT score

Yep, this was true even 20 years ago when I had a stint as a Premed/Predent/Prevet advisor.

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

This topic is reportedly one of the reasons why Republican Youngkin is ahead of Democrat McAuliffe in the Virginia governor's race.

From RealClearPolitics - Youngkin ahead: www.realclearpolitics.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Except the Chinese. They can math🙄😁

My wife is Asian and she had my two boys reading, spelling and doing math around the age of 3...I kid you not...She made up like 1000 index cards with words and once the kids could read them then she had them spell them. Math was no different in how she taught things like memorization of multiplication tables, and summers were homeschooling the next year to prep for it... In many parts of America kids can hardly say their ABCs in 3rd grade.

That's nice. Which country in Asia?

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: JenniferMartinez

That's nice. Which country in Asia?

She is from the Philippines, but what one would say is a high productive family. In the end my one oldest is an Electrical Engineer, and my youngest is scholarship ROTC in a medical career, so we done good in the end.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 09:23 AM
link   
If only you needed math to become a rapper or sports star.
Then people might show interest.
Rip someone off for a few thousand $ by using tricky math and they will pronto.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join