It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reddit investors adopt 3,500 gorillas in six days

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 06:46 AM
link   
With the bad rap social media has been getting recently it's nice to see the good users of social platforms like Reddit can do , fresh from saving GameStop from unscrupulous investors earlier this year the Reddit community has turned its attention to conservation by adopting 3,500 gorillas and donating $350,000 (£252,000) to the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International.

Dr Stoinski's video in which she thanked WSB for their "incredible support", was posted on the subreddit and upvoted more than 159,000 times.

She told BBC News: "They've truly made a difference for our world and shown what can be accomplished when people come together. When we save gorillas and we save forests, we save our world."

In a tweet, the charity said: "In a typical weekend, we might get 20 new adoptions. This weekend, the numbers astonished us.

"It's safe to say that the investor community on Reddit is not traditionally who we think of as our supporter base. But they definitely surprised and overwhelmed us over the weekend."
www.bbc.co.uk...

Great job guys.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Great job guys.

Agreed.

Star and Flag!

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Thanks for posting great stories like this one! It's nice to know that, if humanity ever wipes itself out, there will still be gorillas and other animals left to enjoy the planet.

TCB
edit on 18-3-2021 by TrulyColorBlind because: Left out the word "left." Imagine that.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 07:43 AM
link   

love me some go rillias, and chimps to.
good to see something other than look at me self obsession and being trendy people on those sites.

more needs to be done for rino's, elephants, tigers, and every other endangered species.

animals want to just live and do their thing, and don't bother you unless you bother them.
i do my part for lager animals when i can, but limited to what i can give right now. i'm being ate out of house and home by a colony of feral cats that i just can't bring myself to call animal control for. been going on for just about 4 years.

edit on 18-3-2021 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 08:21 AM
link   
So how many gorillas can I fit in my house? I'd like to adopt some.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Well I liked wallstreetbets when I found out how they were trying to beat the rigged financial system,and now they are giving some of that money to such a good cause I like them more.

Well done WSB.

Throwing "good spanners" into the infernal machine has to be a positive thing IMO.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Do you want a 'Planet of the Apes?'
This is how you get a 'Planet of the Apes.'

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Apes strong together.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Thought I'd ask, and you'd know...how many gorillas left in the wild now?

Mountain gorillas etc..thnx!

Nice thread

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Thought I'd ask, and you'd know...how many gorillas left in the wild now?

around 2010, or so it was estimated that there were only 780 or so mountain gorillas left in the wild, seen reports of from 2018, that the estimate was up 880 to 1014.

western lowland gorillas in the wild 100,000, with about 4000 in zoos.
eastern lowland gorillas in the wild reports say less than 5000, and only 24 in zoos.

all species of gorillas are very very close to extinction.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Well,I just found out about this Primate:

Raven, a six-year-old chimpanzee, became the 22nd most successful money manager in the USA after choosing her stocks by throwing darts at a list of 133 internet companies.
The chimp created her own index, dubbed MonkeyDex, and in 1999 delivered a 213 per cent gain, outperforming more than 6,000 professional brokers on Wall Street.

www.guinnessworldrecords.com...

Holy smokes that chimp has more money than I will ever earn and a guiness world record..thanks for making me feel like an underacheiver,chimp.

Anyway,I am starting to put a theory together that Raven the chimp may be secretly running wallstreetbets.
Hell- she could be funding a secret monkey uprising for all we know.
She will probably have statues of herself built by the other chimps within a decade or two,and be celebrated or even deified as the one who overthrew the human menace and saved the world..
Ah well,we sort of deserve it I suppose.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Awesome...Westerners throwing there money down the toilet...actually worse than that...making petty African warlords rich. Sending money to any organization is pure stupidity. 0% of that money goes where intended

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

There was also a wave of donation to elephants and rhinos...I forget who's fund was the recipient though. I do remember looking at a thank you video from the preserve. The gorilla thing just got way more attention due to everyone identifying as an ape on WSB.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
Well,I just found out about this Primate:

Raven, a six-year-old chimpanzee, became the 22nd most successful money manager in the USA after choosing her stocks by throwing darts at a list of 133 internet companies.
The chimp created her own index, dubbed MonkeyDex, and in 1999 delivered a 213 per cent gain, outperforming more than 6,000 professional brokers on Wall Street.

www.guinnessworldrecords.com...

Holy smokes that chimp has more money than I will ever earn and a guiness world record..thanks for making me feel like an underacheiver,chimp.

Anyway,I am starting to put a theory together that Raven the chimp may be secretly running wallstreetbets.
Hell- she could be funding a secret monkey uprising for all we know.
She will probably have statues of herself built by the other chimps within a decade or two,and be celebrated or even deified as the one who overthrew the human menace and saved the world..
Ah well,we sort of deserve it I suppose.

Nice one, got any other cats in that bag?

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Finally, some great news! It's heartwarming when people can band together for a common good.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Sadly...😟...thank you...So alike us, yet I think more civil..

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 03:44 PM
link   
What kind of gorillas? The type clothed in cammo with automatic weapons? Never know. Now how are we supposed to know what is done with the money that is donated for those gorillas, it could be a scam, some scientists trying to fund research and spoil a bunch of animals so they can't fend for themselves.

This is coming from a mouse that feeds three deer carrots, potatoes, apples, and homemade organic breads out of his patio door. I hope I am not doing more harm than good feeding these deer....chances are I am not. But I scrup all the veggies before giving it to them. No more sunflower seeds, had a deer eating them and it got some in it's lung, talk about having a hard time....thought it was going to croak.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Cap'n Ron says " if your going back, stay on the path. there's gorillas in the woods."

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I like the stock.

new topics

top topics

join