It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knuckle Mnemonic To Remember The Days in a Month

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 06:21 PM
link   
In my youth I had a terrible time remembering which months of the year had 30 or 31 days, except February because I was nearly born on the 29th (leap year).

Even the the rhymes to remember didn't help; I just couldn't memorise them:

"30 days has September, April, June, and November. When short February's done. All the rest have 31..."

Or

"Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November, all the rest have thirty-one. February has twenty-eight, but leap year coming one in four."

Well, about twenty years ago, my wife taught me a method that her grandfather had taught her.

Enter stage left, Knuckle mnemonic. Ever since then I have had no problem knowing exactly how many days are in any given month.

I thought it was a unique technique, and I was surprised that instead, it is a well known method.

Wiki - Knuckle Mnemonic

A picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll say no more, except that I do it on one hand only... I double up on the pinky knuckle before going back across my hand, if that makes sense.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 06:25 PM
link   
meanwhile,
what month is it?

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 06:52 PM
link   
We were taught this in the 3rd grade. I was always a smartass. When the teacher called on me to see if I remembered this epic 2 sentence recitation, I replied "Thirty days hath September, April, June, and Montana."
That meanie made me go stand out in the hall.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22
The rhyme always worked for me-I am not sure why the knuckle way is easier-
Maybe its to do with how the brain works,some remember rhymes better,some remember lists of numbers better?
Creative/practical type deal.

I'm going to stick with the rhyme for another reason too-I would feel like a proper goober If I had to hold my fists up and do some knuckle counting in public,but the rhyme I can say in my head-all stealthy like.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 07:24 PM
link   
"Thirty days have September, April June and November" is surely easy enough if you stick to that line.
Then the two other points (31 days for the rest, and February being an exception) can be remembered without bothering about the rhyme that goes with them.

The version we were taught, as we were chanting out the multiplication tables each school morning, was;
"All the rest have thirty-one
Except February alone
Which hath twenty-eight days clear
And twenty-nine each Leap Year."
But I never bother with that. As I said, those two points are actually simple enough to remember on their own without the rhyme.

edit on 14-3-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

I'm not bad with other ryhmes, but that one just confuses me completely. I think you're right that it's a brain issue. For instance, I have a massive problem with left and right. I've often sent people in the completely wrong direction because I get them mixed up. However, west and east doesn't confuse me at all.

As for the knuckle thing, I'm quite stealthy, too. I only need to look at my hand to visualise the order... no one is aware I'm doing it. As I'm more mechanically inclined, I don't see knuckles, but gear teeth.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I think a musical accompaniment would help. Even today, I can't recite the alphabet if I don't sing it like I learnt watching Sesame Street in the 70s.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

LOL! That's a great way to get out of class!

Honestly, I can't remember being taught this in elementary school. In fact, I can't even remember 3rd grade... I must have been asleep, dreaming of not being in school.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
meanwhile,
what month is it?

I can only know for sure if I look at my feet. And for the seasons, that's a completely different ballgame

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 03:08 AM
link   
If you confine yourself to the first line about thirty days, you could hum through your repertoire until you found something to fit. An advertising jingle might do it.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22

I'm not bad with other ryhmes, but that one just confuses me completely. I think you're right that it's a brain issue. For instance, I have a massive problem with left and right. I've often sent people in the completely wrong direction because I get them mixed up. However, west and east doesn't confuse me at all.

My issue with this particular rhyme is that you can change the words, and it still rhymes all the same....

"Thirty days hath September, May, July, and November"

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles
That version doesn't scan- the syllables are in the wrong place.
The memory includes the rhythm, not just the rhyme.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I disagree. It works in my head.

If you switched them around like this↓, the syllables would be right, but it doesn't sound right to me.
"Thirty days hath September, July, May, and November"

I think the "September, April, June, and November" has more to do with repetition & memory, and not so much about the rhyming.

new topics

top topics

join