It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why hasn't the USA shut down Texas SD Reply Center after 10 years of Misleading Seniors?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 11:19 AM
link   
So why USA and why Texas? Seems a lot of strange stuff goes on in that state and yes I do remember ENRON from Houston, the energy situation just a couple of weeks ago and this subject that seems to hang around since 2010. That's going on 11 years.

My parents got their card just the other week. Its official looking and pink in color. I opened it up and really looked at it. It initially had me fooled so I put it down and came back another week and today I read it again. This time I saw the fine print; "Not affiliated with or endorsed by any Government Agency"

Here's some information on SD Reply Center

March 9, 2012

Anonymous marketers lure seniors with postcards

They look innocuous: postcards in the mail from anonymous senders offering senior citizens information on a benefit. Just fill it out and mail it back. But consumer experts said responding to the offers will result in seniors getting a phone call or knock on the door — sometimes many — from insurance agents. South Florida, with its half-million seniors, is prime territory for the solicitations. The postcards typically do not come from insurers. That's because federal and state laws forbid insurers from soliciting seniors unless they ask for it. Instead, other companies mail the postcards, and if you reply, they sell your name to insurers so an agent can call you. Seniors may not even realize what they have done.

Apparent Social Security letter about Medicare is bogus By PEGGY SENZARINO, Sep 30, 2010

Let ter is Bogus

Hmmmm.

I am going to send a copy to AOC. Possibly she can hunt it down as someone else has been on cruse control.

edit on 7-3-2021 by Waterglass because: add

edit on 7-3-2021 by Waterglass because: yikes

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Because it's legal.

Short and simple.

Circumventing the law is cool now as long as page 15 in the fine print points out how using a foreign company protects your own.

No one will do anything. Granny will lose her livelihood.

There's nothing we can do, because we've allowed ourselves to be controlled by electors that refuse to do anything.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Nivhk

Correct. Everything about life in USA is Buyer Beware, Consumer Beware and there all in on it.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 12:34 PM
link   

SD, or Senior Direct, is part of TargetLeads, a company that says it has been collecting sales leads on seniors for 26 years on behalf of insurers selling health, annuity, funeral and long-term care coverage.

So at some point people need to understand some basic concepts of throw out mass mailings, delete any email that wants you do log in somewhere etc...

There is a reason the famous Nigerian fraud letters are written so poorly is that they want to weed out the false positives. What this means is they only want people to contact them with a high chance they will be gullible enough to play their money game. They don't want to waste time on a million people that end up going nowhere with a very convincing letter..i.e. false positives...

In this case SD most likely gets a commission from insurance companies as they weed through the millions of old people for the gold nuggets that will buy insurance. This doesn't look illegal or a fraud, but it could be very deceiving in what someone buys and gets in the end.

But this goes back to the false positives in they are looking for only those with a high chance of actually buying as the other 98% sees the card and says hell no I have no clue to what they are, and throws out the card.

edit on 7-3-2021 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Legal? Lets talk about legal. You also realize that its legal for our politicians to lie to you right?

Point well taken for a 50, 60 or 70 something without dementia. Those above 80 should be protected from these mailings. How old is President Biden.

Just what kind of country "by the people and for the people" allows predatory strikes on their citizens. Its simple harassment. Especially their seniors.

A country of Clowns at both ends of the Bell Curve.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass

Just what kind of country "by the people and for the people" allows predatory strikes on their citizens. Its simple harassment. Especially their seniors.

A country of Clowns at both ends of the Bell Curve.

You might as well list all countries then...I do not know the fine details in these cases, but it seems people buy maybe something they really do not need, or maybe they get something they really like...who knows.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It's an absolutely mammoth market, and a shameful problem!

The scammers realized a long time ago, back in the beginnings of the "rich Nigerian king" days (the '409' scam) that there is a vast untouched market of ill-gotten wealth in ripping off seniors. The problem only got worse with the Internet and computers.

I've long said, I hate thieves even worse than murderers, and the things I would do to one of these scum if I ever caught one are unspeakable! Suffice it to say, it would be very long, and very, very, S.L.O.W.!!

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I dunno. Why haven't "they" shut down Jennifer from Card Services? Why haven't they shut down the guys who say I have been referred by my doctor for a free back brace? Why do I still et letters addressed to "Dearly Beloved" pormising a vast inheritance or from that Army Captain that needs to park some money with me in exchange for 30%? Or how about the evangelists who need my money so that I won't burn in Hell? I get these sorts of solicitations every single day by phone and letter, and you know what?

I DO NOT EXPECT THE GOVERNMENT TO "SAVE" ME FROM THESE SHYSTERS! And I'm really sorry some people are so stupid or senile to fall for this crap.

BUT.......

If you think AOC is going to save you from this crap I've got bridge to sell you. AOC?????? Seriously????? If you believe that you may be one of those who needs some extra help avoiding those scams.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Correct. Everything about life in USA is Buyer Beware, Consumer Beware and there all in on it.

So, do we look to Big Brother gov't to control everything, moderate everything, protect us from everything, tell us how to live, etc.

There was a time in the USA when people were expected to be wise and astute, care from themselves, fend for themselves, see to their own selves, not expect the gov't to do everything for them. More laws and more control is never a good thing, no matter what the excuse. Pass a law to make this illegal and it'll make a hundred perfectly legitimate business endeavors illegal, as well.

posted on Mar, 8 2021 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

It's legal. The US is notorious as being the wild West when it comes to consumer protection.

SD have small print that explains who the are and what they are doing, so they're not hiding anything. They're technically a marketing company and this technically isn't a scam.

posted on Mar, 8 2021 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

It's legal. The US is notorious as being the wild West when it comes to consumer protection.

SD have small print that explains who the are and what they are doing, so they're not hiding anything. They're technically a marketing company and this technically isn't a scam.

posted on Mar, 8 2021 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

There was a time in the USA when people were expected to be wise and astute, care from themselves,

Yes, but then the scammers got better, and now they're so good that the only way to protect the little guy is to have a big guy to lend a hand.

posted on Mar, 8 2021 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Agree but tell that to an 80 or 90 something person. I bet they cant read the fine print.

posted on Mar, 8 2021 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Do other countries allow this because all you and I know is what we know and that's what happens here in USA. Cant really say what goes on in other countries. What I do know is that Big Pharma screws anyone here in USA. In brief sister in law went to Egypt and forgot her prescriptions. Had to refill in Egypt. She thought she was going to pay $100s of dollars. BUT NO! Cost as in out of pocket cash with NO prescription card was less than $10 USD. So in brief our entire economy is based on trickery? False warranties and whatever else floats the boats.

Who can fool one over another.

Lets talk about the rigged securities market. Whatever happened to day trading? The big boys developed algorithms to detect the individual doing it from home. They then manipulate the pricing suck you in to buy and then tank the price intraday to wipe you out.

Many books have been written about it.

Land of the free?

new topics

top topics

join