It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF Marham Victor V Bomber Gate Guardian Removed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Linky

Sad to see it go, a pity it was way beyond restoration. Great looking aircraft I reckon.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Poon

Wowzers that is one beautiful plane. Almost other worldy. Remember seeing a Victor last time at Cosford. Truly an amazing piece of engineering

edit on 19-2-2021 by ufoorbhunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 08:36 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Poon
Linky

Sad to see it go, a pity it was way beyond restoration. Great looking aircraft I reckon.

I felt genuinely sad reading that, I was having a good day too, lol

At least there's still a couple kicking about

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Nice one Wide-eyes, beautiful old bird.

edit on 1922021 by Poon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:08 AM
link   

We certainly knew how to design and build them back then but these things were outdated by the 1970's and only kept in service due to budget restrictions and the unwillingness of any government of the period to invest in new up to date bombers.

Still they were a beautiful and deadly relic of the cold war and arguably one of the best looking aircraft of the NATO alliance for a very long time, cockpits that were reminiscent of Flash Gordon and there unmistakable delta winged design made them iconic (on a side note I don't know how accurate this would be but I believe War Rocket Ajax from 1980's Flash Gordon Movie may have been partially inspired by the Vulcan as well as the art deco style of the original comic book series and cinema featurettes *** ).

en.wikipedia.org...
vulcantothesky.org...
Though they were designed for long to medium range missions they were meant for the western European and western Russian theatre of conflict in event of war and designed to deliver nuclear bombs on targets at an era when ICBM's were still in there relative infancy so when it came time for the Royal Air Force to be called upon to use them to help in the liberation of the Falkland's it took some logistic planning and it was just possible to do it (though like the Doolittle raid of WW2 carried out by the US against Japan many regard there participation as more public relations).

The Harrier is still my favourite plane of all time though and beside that the us iconic A10 Tank buster which is probably one of the most iconic aircraft that has ever flown, I like the appearance and design of Sweden's Saab aircraft as well but I know very little about aviation so will but out and leave this discussion to the more enlightened.

*** what say you could this movie prop have been inspired by the Vulcan?.

edit on 19-2-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join