It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favorite characters in ...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

I definitely think Molari from Babylon 5 was a great character. The most legitimately conflicted anti-hero of any TV character IMHO.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic

originally posted by: FinallyAwake
Who was your fav character in The Expanse?

If you haven't seen it I'm going to find you, and kill you.

(sorry unable to add Liam Nielson gif from my phone) 😁

Miller and Alex. The 2 they got rid of re-placing Alex with a non-caucasian female character now as I understand it (is there anyone you can count as a replacement for Miller?).

Miller was brilliant, and Alex too. Without giving any spoilers away I think you need to watch all 5 seasons

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Molari is my favorite from B5 as well, but then you also need G'Kar to complete the chemistry. And perhaps Garribaldi as the (last) friend.

And of course there was Bester as a wonderful antagonist. And the ever so mysterious Mr. Morden:

I also thoroughly enjoyed Zack's storyline with the nightwatch and propaganda techniques involving the concepts of nationalism and patriotism, and how those buttons are pushed (see my signature for a clue why).

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I still think one of my favorite lines ever: You will know pain; you will know fear; and then you will die.

I also like Vir saying that he would like to put the Mr. Morden's head on a pike to all future generations that some favors come at too high a price and then look at it, smile into his lifeless eyes and wave ... and in the end, he does.

Vir Kotto was such an underappreciated character.

And who could forget Ivanova's mating ritual?
edit on 18-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

I was gutted when all the Stargate shows where pulled from Netflix. I miss them hard.

Good list. I would add Ba'al to it though. There were some great episodes with Ba'al and of all the Goa'uld I felt he had the most character development.

Yes, in hindsight he should have been on my list. But there was this one episode with Ba'al on earth that I didn't like that much, poor excuse not to put him on the list, but I guess it's because I'm re-watching the show now and I haven't gotten to the Ba'al part yet; yet the actor that played Lord Zipacna always impressed me how he could make such a ridiculous costume (the hat) somehow work for him, that always impressed me (the episode with the Tollans and Skaara/Klorel, the trial or "triad" about ownership of the body). The 1st version of Anubis should have probably been in there as well (the shielded cloaked version, or the guy with Daniel in the Oma scene). But I think I'd have to add main characters like Samantha Carter first then (I was sort of highlighting a few characters that I found particularly well acted or interesting that maybe are easier overlooked or didn't get that much screentime; or just downright hilarious like Urgo, Felger and Harlan; which are main components that make this show so much "fun" to me, half of my description "fun and adventurous" for the show. Likewise in Atlanstis, Lucius Lavin is one my all-time favorite guest characters).
edit on 18-2-2021 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Yeah I wanted to mention Vir after reading your first comment about B5. Probably had the best chemistry with Mr. Morden (it was sort of like he was saying everything you as a viewer would want him to say to Mr. Morden telling him off, but the others wouldn't because of complications, and Vir just said it, no games, no lies, no deception, just straight-up honesty):

My favorite Ivanova episode is this one (very reflective of the dualistic politics in many democratic countries of the left vs the right, and the silliness of it all):

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Oh the Drazi fight. That was a good one. Purple Drazi and Green Drazi ... if only it were as simple as exchanging sashes. It would just be simpler if we could agree to disagree and go back to respecting that not everyone has to think and believe that same way.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: FinallyAwake
I've watched all 5 seasons, I saw no indication of Miller coming back, and they killed off Alex rather unceremoniously at the end there. Wasn't too happy with that. I preferred the earlier seasons, more going on and less family drama or skipping larger battles in favor of showing the many annoying facial expressions of Naomi, who is quickly becoming as annoying a character as Michael Burnham in Star Trek Discovery. I still very much prefer the Expanse over shows like Discovery, the Orville, the new BSG and Lost in Space though. The Expanse is fairly decent as far as modern shows go. But hey, nowadays you get 2 seasons worth of entertainment divided over 5 seasons, so the show is still a bit short for high entertainment value for me (a bit like Firefly and Space: Above and Beyond, taken together, which is where I ranked it in my personal list).

My entertainment value list (i.e. how I rate my level or amount of enjoyment of these shows, including a consideration regarding runtime and number of episodes):

Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis (me: 9 and 8.8; IMDB: 8.4 and 8.1 respectively)
Babylon 5 (8.5; IMDB: 8.3)
DS9 (8, has more filler episodes compared to B5; IMDB: 7.9)
Stargate Universe (6.4; IMDB: 7.6)
TNG (6.3; IMDB: 8.6!!! so overrated compared to DS9)
The Expanse (6.2, if it weren't for a couple of things that bug me I would rate it higher (6.5 at least), among which is my inability to understand Avasarala, the Indian actress, her angry or swearing scenes are also cringeworthy. I can also do without Naomi, she reminds me too much of Discovery's Michael; IMDB: 8.5)
Picard (6.1; IMDB: 7.5)
Space: Above and Beyond (6, a bit too short for much higher ratings; IMDB: 7.7)
The Mandalorian (6, I'm not sure I like the setting of a lone wolf with little potential for interstellar politics, war and massive space battles akin to Stargate, B5 and DS9. Production quality is top notch though, very stylish; IMDB: 8.8)
Firefly (5.9, a bit too short for much higher ratings; IMDB: 9, so overrated because of the cultfans)
Voyager and Enterprise (5.8; IMDB: 7.8 and 7.5 respectively. Enterprise has a nice story arc in the latter seasons, Voyager has some cool episodes with the Borg and species 8472)
Farscape (5.6; IMDB: 8.3)
The old BSG (5.5, better than the new one; IMDB: 7.1)

The shows listed below are for comparison but are not my favorites, I have watched them though:
ST Discovery and the Orville (4; IMDB: 7.3 and 8.0)
Dark Matter (3, it's a bit cheap in comparison with the new BSG, if only they had had the same budget though, who knows; IMDB: 7.5)
Andromeda (2)
The new BSG (1, I could barely stomach this lazily written, convoluted and forcefitted soap/drama/nonsense show on which way too much money was spent for HQ effects; IMDB: 8.7, hereby nominated as the most overrated Sci-Fi show ever and biggest waste of money for a show that could have been done so much better)

Non-Sci-Fi shows that I've watched:

Game of Thrones (6.5)
The Witcher
His Dark Materials
The Dark Crystal
The Last Kingdom
Blackadder (7.9)
Hornblower (7)
Deadwood

There are more, but none that are particularly noteworthy. I hated The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead, sort of skimmed through it because it was listed so high on IMDB (in number of votes, can't see the attraction, and you're getting ripped off with cheap drama and excessively violent shock value thrills. It truly is cheaply produced utter garbage). Lost in Space was better than I expected, but still sad they replaced Dr. Smith for a female character for the usual reasons. But my expectations were exceedingly low because of just struggling my way through TWD and FTWD (with some The Boys in between, also a typical modern show that I usually don't like but with a few redeeming qualities though; the whole marketing superheroes angle).

I gave up on the new Dr. Who show, not my type of show (watched a couple of seasons, until it got too incoherent for me, and too 'modern', not sure how to sum up every issue I have with modern shows; there was something with a beach and someone in a spacesuit, and perhaps a wedding or something, I lost the plot there, and my interest. Watched a couple more episodes after that but I think that's when GoT or the Expanse started or something, so I switched).

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic
...or just downright hilarious like Urgo, Felger and Harlan; which are main components that make this show so much "fun" to me, half of my description "fun and adventurous" for the show. ...

The music really does it for me in Stargate SG-1 as well (it really makes it fun and like you're on a big adventure, a 10 season rollercoaster, like a good thick book, which I prefer as well over shorter stories):

Lol, I'm turning this into a Stargate SG-1 nostalgia thread. But it's all good:

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I don't have any firm favourites though I am quite partial to seven of nine and like most science fiction.

That said remember the original BSG 1978 into the 80's, yes cheesy I know but still the better series in my opinion as it had more depth, the Battlestar had ENERGY weapons instead of space gun's and toe to toe would probably beat the reimagined Battlestar.

The original series also had a character that while vaguely blasphemous from a Christian perspective as he was almost a messianic character and was born in a kind of miracle birth with a non corporeal mother like an alien angel that took physical form just so she could mate with a castaway colonial viper pilot.

Well that character if he had been recreated properly and done without all that nonsense COULD have saved the new series AND also merged the two timelines as literally millions of years apart (if the parent was then described as an even more advanced ANCIENT Cylon from an even earlier epoch - it would be an interesting episode of they had stumbled on the derelict but extremely ancient previous battlestar but they tried to incorporate them and the original vipers into there re-imagined universe which kind of ruined that opportunity for a story twist), that character was the then incredibly annoying and still cringe worthy addition to the show of Dr Zee, in the remake though they could have made him an adult instead of having him be a half human half something else, perhaps these other beings were the actual merging of Cylon and Human that the Cylons so longed for but far more advanced even than that stage.

The Idea of a cyclical world was a great addition and actually a true science fiction staple when it was added to the reboot but over all I still think they should have stuck closer to the original but of course updated for todays audience, still they are apparently making yet another reboot.

Other than that I am a fan of youtube mashup's, starfleet flying in to save the BSG fleet but too late to save the ship itself.

Or coming up against the EMPIRE instead of the evil and dastardly eastern alliance (puts the shoe on the other foot as well since instead of the Battlestar having the advantage it is now at a severe disadvantage going up against the vastly superior technology of the empire).

But other than that you can not beat a good Jedi.

Everyone has there favourites but Star Gate was cool as well (usually).

Ok, Superman because I wanted to be able to do that as a kid, Storm because she was hot, Flash Gordon (the 80's version) because he got a hawk man rocket cycle and both dale Arden and princess Aura.

edit on 18-2-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinallyAwake
Who was your fav character in The Expanse?

If you haven't seen it I'm going to find you, and kill you.

(sorry unable to add Liam Nielson gif from my phone) 😁

Really enjoyed The Expanse.
Now while it was binge-watch during the workweek evenings I was engrossed enough to go stomping in one morning to announce "would a coupla bolts been too much for the props dept to pay for??!!!!" In one of the episodes as they did the dropping in or out of whatever drive, in the medical area you get to see the metal chair & table go floating off.

Really??!!!!
after making 9 kinds of drama in every other episode about the seriousness of loose objects??

They didn't get the official side-eye till I started hearing sound effects in space. In the vacuum, oh yes they did.
Silly crap like this always slaps me in the face like a cold wet towel. Completely ruins what was an otherwise excellent sci-fy /geek time.
Before someone corrects me on sound in vacuum, I'm still at least sure that any headphone/com system someone doing a space walk would be wearing would be NOT set up for ambient sound but to a specific signal. Just saying.

FarScape was great as was Firefly.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I love Farscape because Skorpius is still one of my favorite villains. The bad@ss who prefers to outthink over beat you bloody, even though he could. He's also far more complicated than most villains.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 05:20 PM
link   

One 0f my favourite guest characters is Martin Lloyd. Played by Willie Garson.

He's the conspiracy nut who actually turns out to be an alien. I think they called him Marty.

He's also good in 'White Collar' playing a similar character.

He's been in other stuff, too many to mention.
Willie Garson

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Lol, I'm turning this into a Stargate SG-1 nostalgia thread. 

Yes please.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Big fan of almost everything already mentioned

The Expanse is fresh on my mind though. Miller my fave of course and I like Camina (Drummer) too.
Good stuff. I need to rewatch Babylon 5!

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Starcrossd

My usual website for watching series online doesn't have B5 (or any of my other 3 favorite shows earlier mentioned for that matter, Atlantis isn't complete I think). So I tend to resort to other websites that have these older shows but often in less quality (like 360p - 480p or something, 250MB files per episode). I have a downloaded version of B5 and DS9 on an external hard drive though, but not much better quality, like 350MB per episode.

I will never pay for any of the paid subscription-only internet streaming platforms though, cause you get so much crap modern shows then that are just not worth it. So screw the quality then, don't care. But I would like to know a link with better quality episodes for B5, DS9, SG-1 and Atlantis (although I did find some better quality ones for Atlantis, but mostly the latter seasons). A free streaming website that is. Last time I re-watched DS9 I did so on "watchepisodes.unblockit", but there you have the 250MB episodes, I might as well copy-paste my files from my external hard drive, just haven't gotten around to it yet; just like I haven't for B5 which I watched on www4.watchserieshd.tv or ww3.123movies.la, who at least had some of the episodes in 720p, which was probably better quality than the ones I have on my external hard drive).

I'm now at "Thor's Chariot" (Season 2) in SG-1, 350MB episodes, downloaded years ago. If only I could find 720p versions online at least, preferrably with the ability to add subtitles, although I almost know every significant line word by word, so I don't really need them, but good for binge-watching at night, to keep the volume down.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Someone up-thread mentioned Dr. Who briefly. That one goes by who played The Doctor more than anything else as to what you liked about it.

Me? I'm a Baker, Eccleston, Tennant. I'm just not into the rest although some of the Smith episodes are OK and some of the older Doctors before and after Baker are all right too.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Very similar list however Jackson would be down in the bottom quarter.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:31 AM
link   
OK, Stargate Atlantis now:

McKay
Lucius Lavin
Sheppard
Zelenka
Elizabeth Weir
Beckett
Todd the Wraith
Ladon Radim
Grodin
Dr. Lindsey Novak
season 1 Ford
Major Lorne
Halling
Kavanagh
Ronon
Kolya
Cowen
The Magistrate in "Condemned" (the episode where they have a gate on a prison island so that the wraith feed on the prisoners, who I forgot as the village Canon in "Demons" in SG-1, where he was also an enjoyable antagonist, someone easy to root against and really dislike; I would probably put this character just below Hanno, that actor also having a role in "Demons" but I prefer him as Hanno; especially that last scene where he forgives Teal'c really touches me, I can really feel the emotions that the writer is trying to trigger with that scene)
Princess Harmony (Dark Matter actress)

Next up, Babylon 5.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I love Farscape because Skorpius is still one of my favorite villains. The bad@ss who prefers to outthink over beat you bloody, even though he could. He's also far more complicated than most villains.

Have to agree, I would love to see a big budget reboot of that show but todays directors, artists and actors just could not do it as well as all the over the top politically correct crowd that have taken over far too much today.

I actually quite liked Max Von Sydow's Emperor Ming in the 1980 Flash Gordon (an otherwise mediocre but still great fun movie made fantastic by the queen sound track).

Another one to remember, she was not such a great character but the show and role were, Diana from the original (and far better) V mini series.
Sadly though I like the original BSG Baltar was too bland to rank among great enemy leads - though at least he was macho unlike the reboot's weak Baltar (though that was no fault of either of the actors who played him just a lack of character interaction in the first and a dislikeable weak character for the reboot whom was more the fool than the dastardly mastermind playing a game of chess with his new allies as in the original 1978 series, the best bad guy therefore since we had ton's of that in any science fiction franchise remains good or bad old Darth - nooooooo! it's not true).

edit on 19-2-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join