It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Survival Tips

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Prob doesn't work in non US countries were weapons are like sweet shops , but for others, take control o the local cop shop, get a gun, that way u can protect you n urs, and collect what u need from the stores a reply to: JAGStorm

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 05:10 PM
link   

edit on 8/2/2021 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Jewel weed ( Touch - Me - Not ) is also good on stings and bites, and in particular, is great to treat stinging nettle 'stings'.

That is a lucky feature, because jewel weed often grows in the same lowland damp environments that stinging nettles also love!

Jewel Weed - Description and Uses

And Oh - speaking of stinging nettles, those are great to eat raw. Just grab the youngest leaves at the top, crush them in your fingers so they cannot 'sting' anymore, and pop them in your mouth. I always munch some in season while walking through the woods ....
edit on 8-2-2021 by Fowlerstoad because: added a little

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: UncleReamus
Learn to read a map, a compass, and the land.

When using old maps,
Just keep in mind that true north has change quite a bit.

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind

originally posted by: underwerks
You can make wine from dandelions.

Yes, how well I know! Here's my last batch of dandelion wine as it was fermenting:

I make 5 gallons of Dandelion wine every spring and use it as a tonic in the fall and winter.

Done correctly it has a delicate taste that is simply amazing.

My two "odd" wines that nobody can figure out are maple leaf wine and potato wine (Poteen).

The potato wine takes about 18 months to finish and everyone thinks it is a pear wine.

As for the topic, LEARN WHAT TO FORAGE IN YOUR AREA.

ETA... never underestimate the bartering power of alcohol.

edit on 8-2-2021 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

And Oh - speaking of stinging nettles, those are great to eat raw

Tons of stinging nettles in these parts, hard to convince folks they are edible.

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

My kids called them porupine eggs when they were little.
2nd line

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 10:07 PM
link   
My serious advice....it this...go out and try to find everyone talks about ....they are not being accurate they are unintentionally misinforming you in big ways....these things only grow in certain areas at certain times....and its not as easy as going to the Supermarket to find these things in the wild......plus you need enough to live on including family members.....go out with a nice shiny book that has pictures and more importantly lists poison lookalikes thats critical....then try to fin enough of these things to fill your belly and your kids bellies.....then start learning how to long term store normal foods you eat now ...you will wake the hell up really soon once you realise the Grizzly Adams story is bull#.

You store enough to hold you over till you can plant a garden of domesticated Vegetables and plants.

You are a Human not a Rabbit or a Squirrel.
edit on 8-2-2021 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: one4all
Where I live foraging has been a part of life from the time of Native Americans to first settlers, and it’s still pretty popular. We have harsh winters but anytime during the growing season there is ample food all around, both plant and animal. I wouldn’t say that for all parts of the country, but here it’s true.

You literally could throw a stick and hit some food. It is very fertile here.

Most survivalist would use foraging to supplement, or as a last ditch shtf scenario.

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Where I live foraging has been a part of life from the time of Native Americans to first settlers, and it’s still pretty popular. We have harsh winters but anytime during the growing season there is ample food all around, both plant and animal. I wouldn’t say that for all parts of the country, but here it’s true.

You literally could throw a stick and hit some food. It is very fertile here.

Most survivalist would use foraging to supplement, or as a last ditch shtf scenario.

I think your advice is awsome and very correct.

I personally was shocked once I started to actually go out and try to find wild foods to supplement my diet with....its not as easy as people THINK...its work...and you need a reference book or a Tutor to learn to safely harvest wild foods...just because something is edible doesnt mean you can fail to learn what happens if you overconsume or eat large quantities....and going out and picking a nice Dandylion Salad is NOT fulfilling your caloric requirements....and every hour you fail to do that you slide backwards..... everybody slides backwards.....immediatly.

Figure out your daily calorie requirements then pick a time of year....then add up all the wild plants you need to eat to fulfill that requirement....seriously do it....I did....it took me a long long time to do it....the only way to learn to survive is to experience a Survival Dynamic....honestly....you have experience so you can help everyone by doing just what I said....show everyone what 1 full days worth of calories for an Adult Male looks like in wild greens and plants...that you can harvest and eat right now on the spot.....with urgency of HUNGER DRIVING YOU....so maybe starve yourself a little to get your mind a little foggy begore you start your daily Harvest....Forage hungry with Urgency and a little desperation and mind fog as if it were reaL.

YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE AND WILL HELP THE MOST PEOPLE LEARN THE FASTEST ABOUT WHATS IMPORATANT AND POSSIBLE AND REALISTIC BY DOING THIS.
edit on 8-2-2021 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Fear will usually kill you before mistakes will.

The two kinds of survival have wildly different skill sets. The most common type is to survive until rescued. Permanent detachment from society takes considerably more planing, preparation and practice to execute. The idea of grabbing an ax and walking off into the woods and being fine is romantic fantasy. Far better to have made permanent shelter (log cabin) and had two successful gardens and that is to be able to preserve (canning) from one harvest to the next twice without running out.

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

) and had two successful gardens and that is to be able to preserve (canning) from one harvest to the next twice without running out.

The key takeaway I hope everyone is getting is learn now, not when crap happens!
Gardening is a lot more complex than most realize and crop failure is common.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 12:05 AM
link   
This is why we Travel with Friends.

We need each other.

No man is an Island even if he is made of stone.

You need Guards for the Garden...People to work it...seeds...fertilizer....nutrients....bug killers.....protection from animals who like greens which is all of them....lol...lol...you need multiple Gardens in case something catastrophic happens to one so you dont starve for a single error or twist of fate.....

You need fats and Proteins and Carbs....

Surviving Alone or with a Single Family and not finding a Group immediatly is not surviving its cursing yourself to a horrible sad ending.

The first non-triage thing anyone needs to do in any Emergency Survival situation is find other People IMMEDIATLY..... the more the faster the better.

If you are smart enough to store 1000 pounds of dry goods that will last for 20-30 years....then you are smart enough and able enough to store 2000 lbs....you will need to feed others because there is STRENGTH IN NUMBERS....food is life....strength in numbers.

You will not ever be safe in your Survival Lodge....not without a Group of at least 10-20 people minimum....and if you have enough hoarded resources or women maybe that will not be enough defenders.....I know everyone wants to play Rambo and pretend they are Heros....but reality says that in a Battle its simply a numbers game....who can lose more and still come out on top...but you will ALWAYS LOSE LIVES IN A FIGHT..... if its your Son and Wife holding those backup Rifles and risking their lives...remember the numbers and that someone MUST DIE.

There is no middle ground when people want your stuff....so if you plan on harvesting wild food plan on having Guards...others will want the food to.

There is nothing pretty or fun about Survival,

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 12:24 AM
link   

the most important survival tip i ever got was:

"plan for what will kill you first"

water- learn to find it and clean it. this is the most important supply, and you have less than 3 days to do it. you can have a great fire, lovely shelter, gourmet food supplies, and be dead from something so over looked as water.

food- learn to find it, and how to eat anything (bugs, worms, whatever wont kill you)

once you have food and water, everything else is luxury.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Agreed. Most edible plants also have highly poisonous/lethal versions that look identical to them. I highly recommed ex-SAS John 'Lofty' Wiseman's SAS Survival handbook as it has illustrations and guides of all the lookalikes for various climates around the world. It's the clearest and most informative book I've ever read.

I.e - How to reliably make large ammounts of water with no effort.

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Fear will usually kill you before mistakes will.

I disagree with that; though spent most of my life outdoors so content being in the wilds on my own in foreign countries for a month or two. It's essential to remain calm and level headed to conserve energy and make the best decisions but not get too gung-ho otherwise there's a high risk of injury or death.

One of the most important skills is to know your own limits and when to turn back or take the much longer but less risky route. Being incredibly boring and not taking too many risks

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Yes, how well I know! Here's my last batch of dandelion wine as it was fermenting:

5 gallons of tonic every fall...Sorry to hear about your poor health...

I make 5 gallons of Dandelion wine every spring and use it as a tonic in the fall and winter.

My two "odd" wines that nobody can figure out are maple leaf wine and potato wine (Poteen).

The potato wine takes about 18 months to finish and everyone thinks it is a pear wine.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

5 gallons of tonic every fall...Sorry to hear of your poor health...

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Speaking of wines, Elderberry wine is strongly antiviral and packed with antioxidants of course, a nervous system tonic. Yeah, but my main tip would be that a dripping tap doesnt turn the meter. The taste may be too special but the acidic wine makes it bearable. I wonder what compound gives it the taste. Traditional medicines also say something about a connection of the bush to afterlife. Not sure about that but it's never good to ignore the anecdotal evidence.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Made those in Boy Scouts. Very effective and warm indeed. If I recall we shovelled up a huge pile of snow and then tramped it to make it stiffer then dug it out.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 02:24 PM
link   

This is probably not secret but it was new for me. My kindling growing up had always been small twigs and pine needles but my wife taught me that dry pine cones are the best and they sure are. All that resin really goes up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join