It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School considers dropping academic achievement

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This is literally stupid.

www.nbcnews.com...

Prominent San Francisco high school could drop academic achievement for admission
Of Lowell's 2,871 students, 18.1 percent are white, 11.5 percent Hispanic, 1.8 percent Black and 50.6 percent Asian, largely Chinese, according to the most recent state education data. That compares to the district's 52,778 total enrollment of 14.9 percent white, 28.2 percent Hispanic, 6.4 percent Black and 33.4 percent Asian.

Lowell's admission process has "created a school that does not reflect the diversity of SFUSD students and perpetuates segregation and exclusion," the resolution states.

Here's the deets. Lowell is one of the top high schools in the country. It is hard to get into, and their student base
is mostly Chinese American / Asian American. It's too hard for everyone else, so they want to do away with silly ol' academics
and go with a lottery system! I find this hilarious. You know what they say, becareful what you wish for, you'll get it.
You think white flight was a thing....HA

Here's what will happen, parents will move their kids, the school will lose both it's academic gem status and possibly high tax
dollars. Teacher will move too. Everyone left will be holding the bag in a below average school. We need to stop lowering the bar.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Merit is racist now and white supremacy. I'll bet you didn't know that Asians were white, did you?

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Merit is racist now and white supremacy. I'll bet you didn't know that Asians were white, did you?

I did, but not all Asians.
My daughter is in college and they excluded Koreans, Japanese and a few others from an ASIAN scholarship.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I did, but not all Asians.
My daughter is in college and they excluded Koreans, Japanese and a few others from an ASIAN scholarship.

All Asians are Asian, but some are more Asian than others.

This is the problem with having things based on race and ethnicity.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Sounds like actual systemic and institutional racism against Asians to me.

Seemingly the only ethnic group not subject to widespread systemic and institutional racism in Education these days is Blacks.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   

God bless America
You are so stuffeked
From the foundation to the leadership
So sorry

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The only good thing about 2020 was the closing of most public schools. They have gone from mediocre 50 years ago to dumbed down leftist indoctrination centers, where history has been revised (made politically correct) and practical studies of every kind dropped. Discipline is non-existent, just ask the kids at Parkland.

It's become Romper Room for 6-18 year olds.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

This is a review from a student. How AMAZING does this school sound? Too bad they are going to destroy it.

www.niche.com...

Lowell is an extremely competitive and rigorous school where learning is the top priority of the student. Lowell offers a wide variety of AP courses and a couple honors courses. Students at Lowell are all driven to strive for the best. There are many clubs at Lowell, and it is easy to start your own club too. The community at Lowell is open, welcoming, and friendly. The students at Lowell are so compassionate, and despite the competitive nature are willing to help one another. One of Lowell's unique features is its open campus. Students often walk to Stones town for lunch. However, the most unique aspect of Lowell is its system of choosing classes, called arena. Students are given the option to select which ever classes they are interested in after fulfilling the requirements. Students are also free to choose which teacher and block they want for their schedule, much like a college system. This is what makes Lowell so exceptional.

I love that you choose your teacher part! If you read other reviews students seem to love their teachers.
The best of the best are there. We'll see how long.
edit on 3-2-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:15 AM
link   

We need to stop lowering the bar.

The fish rots from the head down. The Vice President of the United States was chosen because of Race and Sex instead of merit.

Schools are in lockstep with this procedure - Qualifications are now based on Race, Sex, Sexuality, Religious Beliefs, Political Beliefs and General All Round Wokeness.

Asian kids - Stop studying for 12 Hours a day, it doesn't matter anymore.

edit on 3-2-2021 by Jamie2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The problem her is simple. Lowell is a good school. This makes parents of students in other schools ask why their child's school be like Lowell? To do that you would have to make the teachers do the job for which they were supposedly hired. The Teacher's Unions can't have that, so it is easier to destroy Lowell.

I'm not dumping on all teachers here. There are some good ones. I'm dumping on their Unions. If you are a teacher, when was the last time you voted for your National or International Union Leadership?

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I'll bet you didn't know that Asians were white, did you?

Being white ... and being married to an Asian Gurl for 37 years ... you come to terms with the fluffiness of the words about being created equal. Ya shut mouth, do what you're told, keep your shoulders semi-shrugged and your neck semi-scrunched.

Wonder why the other races can't accept reality. Is it because they're being taught not to?

Scuze me while I sign my earnings over to the master of the house. LMAO

edit on 322021 by Snarl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I thought the problem is more that other parents want their kids in Lowell and wonder why their kids don't make it. Then they notice that not many kids of their color are there and get all upset.

They forget there are two avenues into Lowell for their kids:

1. Have a kid so brilliant he or she coasts into Lowell on superior intellect.

2. Have a kid who studies so hard and relentlessly that despite not having superior intellect, he or she simply, doggedly ingests enough of the knowledge needed to compete his or her way in.

Very few of us come in #1, and Asians excel at getting their kids into the #2 mindset. It takes a real value of education to do that. Avenue #2 takes real work, and it's just much easier to think things are racist.

edit on 3-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You forgot #3 Parents that will beat you if you bring home an A-

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Dad? Is that you?

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 10:05 AM
link   
and this type of thing is where the real racism and bias is within western society like the US. things like straight white males need not apply is a very real thing. and they wonder why racial tensions are so bad now. well what do you expect when you tell some people they are racist, while holing them back due to race. while at the same time telling others that they are suffering from racism, while giving them all sorts of advantages because of their race. (also things like sexuality, religion, sex, and anything else). this is what causes things like racism to grow and spread, on both sides.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 10:21 AM
link   
And then one day for no reason at all...

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   
JAGStorm beat me to number 3. So I'll go with number 4:- If your parents have got enough money you can get in anywhere.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I think the goal of increasing diversity of the school is admirable but they are going about it the wrong way.

Generally, I think schools that focus too much on GPA/Test scores create an unhealthy learning environment. I am not saying these aren't important measures though.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

You forgot #3 Parents that will beat you if you bring home an A-

In the real world.... A students work for C students....

In many cases, when cultures focus on test scores / GPA what they are doing is creating cubicle drones. I've seen a lot of kids who are raised by "tiger moms" that wind up being unhappy and disillusioned. This is not to say grades and GPAs are not important, but I think the extreme focus is unhealthy imho.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I think the goal of increasing diversity of the school is admirable but they are going about it the wrong way.

Generally, I think schools that focus too much on GPA/Test scores create an unhealthy learning environment. I am not saying these aren't important measures though.

If you don't think schools that focus on GPA/Test scores are unhealthy you shouldn't send your kids there.
Schools should not be made to bow down to people that cannot or will not achieve what others can and do.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join