It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meister Eckhart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 07:22 PM
link   
There is a true story of a young christian lady that went to a buddhist friend and asked the question "Can an intelligent person be a Christian?". That buddhist friend suggested she read sermons from "Meister Eckhart". In those sermons she rediscovered her Christianity and started the The Eckhart Society in the hope that other Chrisitians could find their spiritualism in his wisdom as well.

Meister Eckhart (c. 1260 – c. 1328) was a theologian, philosopher and mystic, born in Germany, during a time when monastic orders were at war with one another. So its not surprizing his interpretations would eventually result in accusations of heresy. But he died before trial of the inquisition was finalized. In recent times there has been renewed interest in Meister Eckhart with attempts of full rehabilitation and confirmation of his theological orthodoxy.

Because one of his sayings is "Only the hand that erases can write the true thing" I will not dilute this thread with any of my own interpretations of his words. I just select some of them for our contemplation.

Some of Meister Eckhart Quotes :

Some people want to see God with their eyes as they see a cow, and to love Him as they love a cow - for the milk and cheese and profit it brings them. This is how it is with people who love God for the sake of outward wealth or inward comfort. They do not rightly love God, when they love Him for their own advantage.
― Meister Eckhart

“I tell you the truth, any object you have in your mind, however good, will be a barrier between you and the inmost Truth.”
― Meister Eckhart

There is no need to look for God here or there. He is no farther away than the door of your own heart.
― Meister Eckhart

There exists only the present instant... a Now which always and without end is itself new. There is no yesterday nor any tomorrow, but only Now, as it was a thousand years ago and as it will be a thousand years hence.
― Meister Eckhart

The most powerful prayer, one well-nigh omnipotent, and the worthiest work of all is the outcome of a quiet mind. The quieter it is the more powerful, the worthier, the deeper, the more telling and more perfect the prayer is. To the quiet mind all things are possible. What is a quiet mind? A quiet mind is one which nothing weighs on, nothing worries, which, free from ties and from all self-seeking, is wholly merged into the will of God and dead to its own.
― Meister Eckhart

Every creature is a word of God.
― Meister Eckhart

Love.
edit on 25-1-2021 by glend because: (no reason given)

new topics

join