It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nostalgia for my youth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

originally posted by: Trueman

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

originally posted by: Trueman
a reply to: DAVID64

I'm 56 too. You know what I think it's happening with us ?

I believe the late 70's, all the 80's and maybe the early 90's were so intense and cool that everything sucks under our sight now. I mean everything, what they eat, the way they dress, their music,....all.

I think what happened to us was television. That is when everything sped up. We shipped industry away from our shores and made TV the national babysitter.

David64 is making me think that we grew up not far apart. I was just talking a friend last week, about how stupid we were as children. Our mothers were making us fresh homemade bread straight out of the oven, and we were turning up our noses begging for "Wonder Bread".

Television, it sucked our brains dry, in preparation for the internet. Welcome to the Matrix.

Television wasn't a problem for me. I didn't have a color TV until the late 80's. Then we got a set and the VHS was the problem, oh man.

Wish I'd kept some of those old vhs movies.
When I compare the old "straight -to-video" kind of b movies and horror schlock stuff to the boring, formulaic, on-message garbage now!...

Bring back rubber monsters!

And don't forget the "walkman". I used to carry a pen or pencil together with it to used it when my favorite song of the cassette was the first one and wanted to play it again.

Any of you dear friends remember how to rewind the cassette without using your walkman batteries ?

edit on 24-1-2021 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

I've still got a couple of working Walkman that I use. One with an FM radio!
For luxury walking I have some pocket CD players.
The mini DAB is very handy,too.

Bic biro used to have a lid that was just the right size for winding tapes.

I really do miss stupid b movies. I fear their day may be gone.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

I have right next to the tv in my bedroom "The Beatles Anthology" on VHS. I don't play them, just look at them when go to sleep.

There is a big plastic box with lots of audio cassettes in my attic. Some of them were recorded by myself from the radio stations. That's how we used to get our favorite songs, who had money to buy originals ?

Radio stations sometimes ruined the recording, telling the name of the station right in the middle of the song.
edit on 24-1-2021 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman
Yeah, used to record loads of radio stuff.
Tape a whole show then edit down the best bits and cut the talking out.
Also a good source for hunting down obscure vinyl.
Once a track has lodged in my brain I have to have it, no matter how long it takes.
Who buys vinyl these days?
I still use turntables.

I don't have a play list on poo-on-a-stick or whatever it is people have for music these days.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Grandma with the vinegared greens used to live out in the country on a farm, and the four of us cousins used to just run wild on the place. All over it ... outbuildings, over fences, through pastures ... place was a haven for the imaginative. We'd build stuff with odds and ends we found in the barn, run through the hemlock that was taller than us playing hide and seek or pretending we were hacking our way through the jungle with machetes ...

Oh, I miss those days!

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Purely by chance I'm having bananas in custard for my tea.
That takes me back a bit.
At school we had these squares of really dry slab chocolate cake served with green mint custard.
I used to mash it into a browny green slop. Looked terrible but tasted yummy.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join