It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland goes into full lockdown, England to follow

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Sorry to hear about your Mam.
Is there no end to this #e?

Seems there isn't a week goes by where I don't hear about someone testing positive etc.

Keep your head up and stay strong.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Of course I'm speaking with the benefit of hindsight.

I'm sure it might not have seemed so clear cut at the time.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Hope your Mum gets better soon Oldcarpy2.

What a start to 2021.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I think you called it earlier, the problem being when we attempt to judge the past, or people from it, by todays standards, the picture we paint is only ever a semblance of what transpired.

The admonition to walk a mile in someone else's shoes would seem to apply but unfortunately that's somewhat beyond capability.
edit on 13-1-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: alldaylong

My dear old 96 year old mum broke her hip last week. And has now been tested positive for Covid. #e times?

The exact same age my Gran was when she broke her hip, she lived to see 98 though.

All the best to your Mum dude

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Good good, hope it all goes to plan for them alldaylong.

Having been kicked in the nether regions by the nasty bastard of a pathogen, luckily somewhat mildly, i have to say vaccinations seem to be the way to go.

My Mrs is due one soon because she's Asthmatic, blue and yellow inhalers type affair.

I think they should do the school weans to be honest, before they go back if possible, coz that's a really big Petri dish right there aka weans in general.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

TPTB don't really have much choice in that department.

Far as im aware the closest thing that's happened resembling COVID 19 and the impact it has had on the world would be the 1918 influenza pandemic.

Which as you know was the most severe pandemic in recent history where a significant number of deaths were packed into three especially cruel months in the autumn of 1918.

Caused by an H1N1 virus with genes of avian origin, although there is not universal consensus regarding where the virus originated but It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world's population became infected with this virus.

The number of deaths was estimated to be between at least 50 and 200 million.

Desperate times call for us to learn from history, and sharpish imho.
edit on 13-1-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Thanks. She has just tested positive for Covid and so has the rest of her ward so fingers crossed.
And I thought I was glad to see the back of 2020!

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Sorry. Just realised id already posted about mum's Covid test.
Not thinking straight at the moment!

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

Worst case scenario is that it keeps on mutating and becoming more and more lethal...even with these "Hail Mary" vaccines they are rolling out... Game over.

If this were a Flu pandemic, we'd expect its second Summer to lead to weaker mutations and an 'acceptable number of deaths' per annum, just as the Spanish Flu mutated downwards in the Summer of 1919, some 15 to 16 months after Patient Zero kickstarted the pandemic in Kansas, USA.

Except it's not a flu. Not a cold. It's a #ing bast#rd. While a flu will instinctively weaken so as not to kill its host, Covid is a comparatively mysterious beast, which we HOPE the vaccination will tame, even though it cannot guarantee no re-infections and non-transmission thereof after vaccination.

So long as the vaccine weakens a victim's symptoms to prevent hospital treatment - the entire point of lockdowns and social distancing - then we should be fine, although the vaccinated will still need to follow distancing rules until the majority of the population is judged to have attained herd immunity (usually around 70%).

If the vaccinated STILL need such treatment, then we are royally #d. Spanish Flu could kill a person within 24-72 hours; prolonged hospitalisation with Covid despite no subsequent death, is a horrific prospect for all healthcare systems if that worst case scenario for vaccination does pan out.

So fingers crossed, guys; we'll find out soon enough now that the vaccine has a world stage of millions to play with, rather than just thousands of trial volunteers.

Have a pint. We'll need it.

edit on 14-1-2021 by ConfusedBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ConfusedBrit

Need to break in to a pub here the now if you want proper pint unfortunately.

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Need to break in to a pub here the now if you want proper pint unfortunately.

DOH! True enough.

By the way, all the best to your family.

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 07:41 PM
link   

All the best to you and yours also ConfusedBrit.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join