It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Early Christmas Gifts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 05:15 PM
link   
My wife and I usually exchange a couple early Christmas gifts on the holidays. This year I bought her a really nice waxed canvas field coat, but I wasn't sure how it was going to fit, so I really wanted her to try it on. It wasn't cheap and I wanted to make sure if I had to exchange it I'd have time. So I gifted it to her early.

Naturally, my bride wanted to give me something early too. Until last night, and she was really pushing for me to open this gift.

Well, it turns out it was a really nice telescope, something I've been wanting for a long time. I never had a good telescope before, and always wanted to get into astronomy.

She wanted us to be able to see the conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter last night. When we opened the box I was ecstatic, but it was pretty clear we weren't going to get this thing assembled in time to see the conjunction. We watched the conjunction through binoculars, and it was really cool. (we have some awesome binoculars). You could even see the rings of Saturn! First time I ever saw that.

So now, as I'm faced with shoulder surgery in early January, I'm thinking astronomy will be a good hobby for me. I finished putting the scope together today, and it's awesome! I'm sure there's probably better, but I couldn't ask for a better one to start with for me.

I'm thinking I can do this fairly easily with one arm, and being outside won't hurt my feelings. Plus, I have nothing but time, and I won't be able to sleep anyway. I'm pretty excited. Got it all set up and calibrated today. Will set up the polar axis tonight, and hopefully find an equatorial star to complete the setup for location based on coordinates (yes, it has an equatorial mount).

Gosh, it's really a ray of light in a fairly dim past few days/weeks.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Welcome to club telescope!

Eta..
Make sure you take the telescope outside and hour before you plan on using it to get it acclimated to the cold.
edit on 22-12-2020 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Thank you!

That was one thing I was wondering about. I figured there must be some temperature acclimation.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Very nice, but I often wonder why do people wait for these created Holy days to give each other things, why not just a surprise anytime and then it won't feel like you did it because you are supposed to and trained by big business.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I thought this was 'early' as in back in the day early. I was expecting franchesense, myrrh and maybe a goat.

edit on 22-12-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
Very nice, but I often wonder why do people wait for these created Holy days to give each other things, why not just a surprise anytime and then it won't feel like you did it because you are supposed to and trained by big business.

IDK, I think it is sweet that they are loving to each other- it is the season to be merry and show one another kindness and love; gifts are one way people do this. Also, give the man a break his shoulder is out of commission for a long time. This is a good thing. Why ya gotta poop on someone’s parade?

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   
You should be able to give your cows a visual health and welfare check every night with the telescope. Also, let the person you get to help out while you heal that you are watching him so he does things right.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 10:29 PM
link   

So you'll be observing Uranus while wishing you could wipe....

Oh, nevermind, I'll see myself out.

MERRY CHRISTMAS FCD!!

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Onlyyouknow

it is the season to be merry

Oh it is, well that makes sense then.

top topics

join