It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thieves Steel Equipment From Russian Nuclear Doomsday Plane

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Pretty concerning how unsecured Russia could keep anything related to nuclear weapons or command and control during a nuclear conflict. But I'm not sure what good this radio equipment would be to any thieves.

Source

The robbery of the Ilyushin-80, a mobile command post specially designed to keep officials alive and in command of the military during a nuclear conflict, took place at an airfield in southern Russia, state media reported.

The thieves managed to open the highly classified aircraft’s cargo hatch and make off with 39 pieces of radio equipment. They have not been caught.

Interior ministry officials in the city of Taganrog confirmed that a plane at Taganrog Aviation Scientific and Technical Complex was robbed, although they did not specify which one.

Ren-TV, a Russian television station, reported that police had found shoe and fingerprints aboard the aircraft.

In the event of a conflict, it is expected that Putin and other political and military officials would board the planes and command the country’s defences while remaining airborne, possibly for several days (with refuelling).

Some of the details of the Ilyushin-80 are kept secret by Russia. It is not yet clear how sensitive the radio equipment that was stolen may be.

So who dun it? Rogue Russians? CIA? Mossad?

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

What can they do with it? They could sell it to the US. I am sure our guys would be interested in the level of tech they have.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Strange story and you have to wonder what else will come of it, I'm not too sure it's much to worry about though, arent these already outdated?

Surely they have more secure comms than radio by now.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Catch_a_Fire

I think the planes have been in service about 15 years. Not too long for aviation, equipment can also be upgraded any time.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I'm not sure what they could do with it but I think it's more of an embarrassment to the Russian government than anything.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Quick, someone launch a surprise nuclear strike while they cannot retaliate...
what good fortune.

Remember when the world ended due to some scrap thieves?

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 08:32 AM
link   
So how much steel did they steal?

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Catch_a_Fire
Strange story and you have to wonder what else will come of it, I'm not too sure it's much to worry about though, arent these already outdated?

What Communications run on anything other than Radio Signals?

Other than wired?

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   

... It is not yet clear how sensitive the radio equipment that was stolen may be.

Are you kidding me???????

That is probably some of the most highly classified equipment in the entire World! It is almost as classified as the nuclear launch codes themselves!!

US Airforce crews are trained to destroy all of the communications and cryptographic equipment as priority #1 in the event of a crash or possible capture. This stuff is incredibly valuable!

Does anyone remember the incident in China where a US Navy P-3 Orion collided with a Chinese J-8 interceptor causing the P-3 to make a crash landing on Hianan Island, China? The crew of the P-3 was captured on the ground while trying to destroy all of the classified equipment. They didn't get it all destroyed and there was a huge security breach as a result. This was just a US Navy plane so it would only have a fraction of the equipment which would be carried by a national airborne command and control aircraft.

The potential loss of security for Russia could be staggering!

As for value?? This equipment would be highly valued by just about any nation who isn't allied with Russia. Think: millions!

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Yea the P3's main main mission is hunting submarines (also surveillance). Our helicopters had the same purpose. I'm sure they didn't want any of that tech stolen.

I'm rather curious to find out who carried out this Russian theft.
edit on 10-12-2020 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Didn't the Russian military just go back to replacing their computers with mechanical typewriters due to their systems vulnerable to hacking? Sometimes oldy world stuff is just more safe

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

The radios include the encryption systems used by the Russians. It won't let anyone eavesdrop on all their transmissions, as they can change the frequency hopping rate and frequencies, but it's going to give a big leg up in the right hands. They had to totally change communications protocols and encryption after the Chinese got their hands on the EP-3 at Hainan. There's a lot more to these radios than just transmitting on radio waves that, in the right hands, is going to be useful as hell.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: slatesteam
So how much steel did they steal?

Don't be a smartass. He's saying that the thieves have steel equipment from a Russian doomsday plane. They might be planning to clank heads with it.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Sounds like espionage.

I have a hard time believing the thieves didn't know the area was militarized.

So the question would remain which country. We all know the obvious ones, but that's a huge risk in the times we're in.

My guess is the actual henchmen were Russian though. A country would take a huge risk sending their own countrymen... And a lot of Intel services use assets for things like this as oppose to their spies or officers.

While I have no idea who did it... II just want to throw out China as a possibility. Russia and China are both skeptical allies. I'm sure China has a large interest in the communications of their neighbor.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

I also always get holy and holly mixed up. Whatever, stuff happens.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Boy that plane is ugly....Is that part of Russian designs to include ugly as part of their primary goals?

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

Didn't the Russian military just go back to replacing their computers with mechanical typewriters due to their systems vulnerable to hacking? Sometimes oldy world stuff is just more safe

Like analog cell phones... Lasted a lot longer, too.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Of course they knew. That hasn't ever stopped military personnel from stealing anything they can get their hands on and think they can get away with. A few years ago, there were reports of problems with Russian tanks because the explosive element from their reactive armor was stolen and sold on the black market. Sold to another nation, or on the black market, these radios are worth a lot of money.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
a reply to: LSU2018

I also always get holy and holly mixed up. Whatever, stuff happens.

I'm just messing around, lol. It's all good my friend.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Probably just some Russians looking to make a buck off of western intelligence agencies on the black market. That, or hold it hostage and try to get a little cheddar out of Vlad.

What I find interesting is they published the fact it was communications equipment which was stolen. This seems odd to me.

Seems like the thieves were selective about what they took, meaning they knew what it did, where it was and which equipment it was. Sounds kind of like an inside job to me.

An unhappy oligarch maybe?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join