It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House passes legislation to decriminalize marijuana at federal level

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   

The House of Representatives voted 228-164 to pass the Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement Act on Friday, the first time either chamber of Congress has ever voted to decriminalize marijuana.

Don't get too excited. It goes to the senate from here, but it is a step in the right direction, and should have been done a long time ago.

The bill would remove cannabis from the Controlled Substances Act, allowing states more authority over its regulation. It would also expunge previous marijuana convictions and order re-sentencing for those imprisoned with pot convictions.

Re-sentencing? I'd say expunging makes the most sense unless there were extenuating circumstances.

That's the good news. Now for the bad news. Republicans were not impressed considering Nancy has been holding up progress on other matters for a while.

“This week, your House Democrat majority is tackling the tough issues by holding a vote on legalizing pot and banning tiger ownership,” House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy wrote Monday on Twitter. “Nothing for small businesses. Nothing for re-opening schools. Nothing on battling the pandemic. Just cannabis and cats.”

The cats refers to another bill looking to ban breeding and private ownership of big cats.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the senate vote it down, but who knows.
Link

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   
“This week, your House Democrat majority is tackling the tough issues by holding a vote on legalizing pot and banning tiger ownership,” House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy wrote Monday on Twitter.

Ahh yes congress spent Friday talking about pot and wild pussies, just like when they were teenagers

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   
This is fantastic news and long overdue but, unfortunately, it will probably end up in Mitch's graveyard because Mr. McConnell is incapable of doing anything that might end up benefiting someone other than himself.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   
You get more for your money if you do not buy it through the government. We learned that very quickly here in Illinois.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigsnowman
This is fantastic news and long overdue but, unfortunately, it will probably end up in Mitch's graveyard because Mr. McConnell is incapable of doing anything that might end up benefiting someone other than himself.

Well it isn't coke....lol

What if this was the last thing Trump signs into law...

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Ahh yes congress spent Friday talking about pot and wild pussies, just like when they were teenagers

Last week it was hookers and blow, so they getting better.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

What truely disgusts me is that all politicians hold up legislation that would benefit people until they themselves can profit from it.

I'm not impressed.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   
In and of itself, the legislation (aside from the taxes part) really doesn't bother me.

Here in CO, I can't really see that it's had that much adverse effect...other than attracting a bunch of liberals to the state for only this reason. I don't smoke the stuff myself.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Nothing for small businesses.

Tell that to all the small businesses currently supporting who knows how many people in places where cannabis is legal.

It's a huge benefit to small business. It's a small business opportunity with a low barrier of entry and the potential for high profits.

Not just for the active ingredients. For fiber, concrete, plastic, oil and a multitude of other things people can make money off of from the plant.

It's a plant for #'s sake. A plant that makes it easy for anyone to make a bit of money with a smallish amount of investment comparatively. With far less negative consequences than many of the legal ways to make money.

It's always been an attack on the poor/middle class. Most legalization attempts, especially up here in canada, have mostly opened the door to big business while shutting out smaller ones.

Cannabis businesses bring lots of money, legal or illegal. If illegal, they bring lots of money to criminals, if legal, they bring lots of money to communities and local businesses.

edit on 4/12/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Isn’t that the truth.

Here in the U.K we had a debate in parliament relating to legalising Marijuana and a particular Tory M.P (Member of Parliament) stood up in the house to debate against the motion. It transpired that her husband has acres of Marijuana growing for medicinal purposes and is making an absolute killing.

We vote these people in to positions to represent the best interests of their constituents, but all they do is act in their own best interests. Conserving their own self entitlement,

I despise them, all sides.
edit on 4/12/20 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Is there any pork in it?

If not let it pass and get on to other issues. No need to waste more time.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Dbl pst.
edit on 4-12-2020 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

What truely disgusts me is that all politicians hold up legislation that would benefit people until they themselves can profit from it.

I'm not impressed.

It's the American (gubmint) way. They wouldn't want to break with tradition.

In this case, it seems they would rather have you high than have you open for business and your kids in school.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

I'm not impressed.

In this case, it seems they would rather have you high than have you open for business and your kids in school.

Pot shops in Oregon are considered "essential" business.

Schools, restaurants, small businesses. . . . . not so much.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88
Agreed, but what if you aren't in the cannabis or a supporting business? There are a lot more businesses that aren't than are.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

I'm not impressed.

Pot shops in Oregon are considered "essential" business.

Schools, restaurants, small businesses. . . . . not so much.

***Double facepalm meme here***
Maybe they are essential. It's the only thing keeping some people sane while their finances dwindle into oblivion.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Dere go de neighborhood, mon.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 05:29 PM
link   

This particular bill, was actually put through by trump a few months ago and has been held up for months, isn't something that just got put through now.

There's dick all going on now other than # you hide from covid.
edit on 4/12/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

link   
If I were in the Senate, I hack this bill up by removing the decriminalization in favor of legalizing medical while strengthening open container laws. And allow industrial hemp cultivation without a permit.

It allows for a wider diversification of the agricultural industry while promoting domestic textiles and further lessen dependence on foreign oil as hemp oil replaces petroleum in a multitude of products including fuel, paints, plastics and pharmaceuticals. The paper production alone will decrease CO2 levels by allowing longer lifespans for timber crops.

link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: putnam6

Last week it was hookers and blow, so they getting better.

That was more of the college years...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join