It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr: The Aftermath

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
the 16 minute fight spent almost 10 minutes holding each other roy just wasting time and they call it a draw I call it a waste of time.

it was an exhibition bro... they used 12oz gloves.... heavyweights use 10... 2 min rounds, which is what women do... and 8 round instead of 12...

that was all to save roy jones from being a cripple afterwards... and everyone knew it lol

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Ya, there were rumors even in his early days of having a prosthetic penis that was filled with clean urine that he would wear to drug tests when he was a pro to beat the pre fight drug tests.

Strictly rumors. Either way you still have to work your ass off to get into that type of shape. He is no stranger to putting the work in

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Paddyofurniture
It was great to see the respect each gave.

To preface what I’m about to say - I think Mike in his prime 1984-1988 was the great boxer of all time , bar none. If you could bring anyone from their prime ( Ali included) my money would be on Mike. His peek-a-boo style which combined with his Uber-athleticism and his defense ( which he prided himself in under D’Amato) was too much. You just could not run from him long enough to wear him down because he was in top shape, and if you engaged him he was too quick and tooooo powerful.

With that said- I think Mike may have had some pharmaceutical help to get in such good shape currently. I don’t know how stringent or if there were any drug testing before this fight - which was officially a “heavy sparring” session and not a official sanctioned fight.

It will be interesting to see if Mike tries to get an actual sanctioned fight with a active pro. Should be interesting.

It was reported in USA Today that the fighters were tested for PEDs: USA Today - Tyson consumed hippie lettuce before and after fight

Tyson could make 8 rounds with a competent pro but that’s about it. Someone like Mckernan who fought Badou Jack last night but obviously at HW.

I respect your opinion, but the 18-22 year-old Tyson you believe is the G.O.A.T. was a spectacle; Tyson through those years was must-watch TV and had an aura that was rightly deserved, essentially winning before entering the ring. Likely never to see it again in the heavyweight ranks. BUT his competition was marginal. Not a single great heavyweight during those years until Lewis and Holyfield graduated from the Olympics. Hell, Bowe was better than anything in mid-to-late 80’s. Not Mike’s fault but it’s reality.

Sadly, a boxer’s physical prime is between 24-32 (that’s being generous) and we missed Ali/Clay during most of those years. We don’t know what would’ve happened (we do, but, I digress...until later 😊), but Ali is undeniably the G.O.A.T. — his competition was the greatest ever in the HW division after his physical prime and he beat them all. Norton (2x), Frazier (2x), and Foreman after his physical prime. All hall of fame boxers. Mike — to my knowledge— never beat a hall of famer, let alone against one to win or defend the strap. And, yeah, Ali during his exile years would’ve beaten Tyson at any point in Tyson’s prime.

Last thing: what in the hell was going on with taking bets on an exhibition?! Freaking mental midgets.

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Fiftyfour.

Fiftyfour....

Fiftyfour and you could not offer me enough money to take one of those body blows..

Respectfully,
~ meathead

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Cravens

nope nope nope... Tyson Fought a lot of really powerful guys, he was above all the competiton in his prime... made them look like they were nothing but thats just not true in the least

Look at the stats instead of just repeating what you've heard...

boxrec.com...

and for the record... Tyson would have put Ali on his ass in his prime.... no questions asked...

Even forman was afraid to fight him...

tyson went through some crazy stuff in his life, and his world fell apart when he started to lose...

and BTW... he fought larry holmes... 48-2 hall of famer...

edit on 29-11-2020 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I respect your opinion Cravens. Tyson certainly does not have the resume of Ali or other HOFers and obviously the exile years are also a what if senario for Ali .

As is the fun part about sports is the what if’s and our opinions about those what if’s.

I personally look at the footage of Tyson ( which there is quite a bit) and sync it in my head to watching a Ali or Frazier, or Foreman. To me in those early years for Tyson was just too athletic and well coached ( by D’Amato) .

Love the discussion !

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2020 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

nope nope nope...
Even forman was afraid to fight him...

and BTW... he fought larry holmes... 48-2 hall of famer...

Holmes was a senior citizen and Foreman had stepped down from the ring as well, bit unfair to offer that scenario to justify Tyson

Outside of Holmes, who was in his twilight, who else was a true heavyweight Tyson defeated?
Holyfield was a cruiserweight who frustrated Tyson out of a title
There are serious reasons Tyson was called over rated

And no, I am not saying he was, just I understand why some people thought Tyson was

posted on Nov, 30 2020 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

i was just pointing out he did fight a hall of famer.... he was only 38, and retired a few months earlier

and Tyson fought all "true heavyweights" every fight in his career...

aside from mike being a little cracked out when he fought holyfield... you should watch those two fights...

dude was the king of headbutts... and it happened in both fights... clinch, headbutt... tyson just had enough of it

posted on Dec, 1 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Not knocking Tyson, he was a beast...but
Foreman, Frazier, Ali, not in their era so can’t judge but, wow, could he, doubt it
Different era, different circumstances.

Just don’t think he was the GOAT

posted on Dec, 1 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

To each their own opinion... personally i think he could have been the best fighter that ever entered the ring if his life didn't fall apart... Theres never been a puncher like him in his prime... and still he ended off with a phenomenal record

Then you watch his losses... its just not the same guy

He should have put lennex lewis on his ass in the early few rounds... he looked like himself for the first round, and just barely....

In his prime "beast" just doesn't describe him... he was frickin scary... which was why he made his opponents look like they were amatures when they were all top ranked fighters

posted on Dec, 1 2020 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Larry Holmes? Really?? Ole washed-up-punch-drunk Larry Holmes is what you heard? I once heard, it’s best to keep some things in your head and not let ‘em make it of your pie-hole — it truly exposes one’s intellect, or lack thereof.

Stop listening to what you heard...unless you heard it before you listened.

Mike Tyson and RJJ entertained me Saturday night beyond expectation(s). I’d like to see Mike with no socks 🧦 on again.

P.S. Nice job reminding me and the board about what you heard about Kid Dynamite 🥊 🧨

posted on Dec, 1 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Its not what i heard... I've watched every one of tysons fights...

like i said i was just pointing out that he did fight a hall of famer when he was younger

In any case how you gonna knock larry holmes... dude was amazing, and kept fighting after his loss to tyson... and tyson was the only person to knock him out... in 69 fights

edit on 1-12-2020 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

originally posted by: Brotherman
the 16 minute fight spent almost 10 minutes holding each other roy just wasting time and they call it a draw I call it a waste of time.

it was an exhibition bro... they used 12oz gloves.... heavyweights use 10... 2 min rounds, which is what women do... and 8 round instead of 12...

that was all to save roy jones from being a cripple afterwards... and everyone knew it lol

Fair enough but I’ll be honest, watching Tyson train for this exhibition fight was way more entertaining then the actual bout. What say you my friend?
edit on 2-12-2020 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

i have to admit it was exciting watching him smash that bag again! I can't believe at 54 he still has that kind of power!

Sadly, the fight was set up as i've said... it clearly wasn't a draw, Ol roy looked like he was dying, even at the end... and mike looked like he could go another 8 rounds

Though again, 8 min rounds, 12oz gloves... tiny ring... and most of the fight was a dance not toe to toe... which was smart on Jones's part, but slightly disappointing. When he was fighting he wasn't a clincher, he liked to swing em.. but he was out of his class in the first place

I've also heard talk about a Tyson Holyfield 3... So this isn't over for tyson by a long shot...

I'd really like to see him back in the real ring though... it would be epic for him to get the belt back at his age

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   

If that happens I hope they are sponsored by jack links jerky for obvious reasons.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join