It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Israeli Sudan peace agreement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 02:25 AM
link   
You sure got to give president Trump a big hand of applause cuz this guy he's Non-Stop when is trying to make the world a better place and at peace with each country Nation with each other.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I'm looking at this and I'm asking myself "What is Israel offering in return".

Israel and Sudan aren't natural allies, or enemies. They don't have a lot of interests in common and there isn't much scope for them to have a trade alliance or a military alliance since they move in very different circles.

Having international recognition is very important for Israel from a psychological perspective, as it affirms their right to exist, and the politicians who get countries to recognize it will use this in order to gain an advantage over their rivals. Though as I mentioned above, there isn't all that much scope for any economic or military gains as Sudan isn't really a player in either of these areas as far as the wider Israeli issue is concerned as Sudan generally looks towards its Southern and Western neighbors as far as alliesenemies go.

What does Sudan get out of this?

It's got to be something good in order to outweigh the diplomatic problems that this is going to bring it from countries that remain opposed to Israel.

Simply "being on the winning side" doesn't seem enough. There's got to have been some incentive offered or some promise made.

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 03:18 AM
link   

You know the more i see you post, the more I notice you literally do not even bother to check any actual recent threads on here. This story was already posted, and not even that far down either.

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Sudan gets economic and diplomatic benefits.

Namely trade support and access to markets, from what I read with near immediate support in the agricultural sector.

I'm seeing the forming of a Middle East trade block I might be wrong though. They say peace sells after all.

That said Israel knows as well as I do how permanent a middle eastern government can be. I suspect a lot of this is due to Turkish and Iranian pressure in the region, I suspect it's all more intelligence and militaristic in fashion all these diplomatic efforts.

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Trade and a cherry on top from the US.

A White House statement on the deal said the two countries agreed to start economic and trade relations, which could help Sudan revive an economy on the brink of collapse

There's got to have been some incentive offered or some promise made.

Yep , "be friends with our friend and we will no longer think you are a State sponsor of terrorism"

The United Arab Emirates, which also recently made peace with Israel and which has close ties to Sudan’s military, hosted talks between Khartoum and the U.S., including on economic assistance. What clinched the deal, however, was a decision by the Trump administration to make the normalization of ties with Israel a precondition for removing Sudan from the list of states the U.S. considers sponsors of terrorism.
www.wsj.com...

edit on 24-10-2020 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

I'm looking at this and I'm asking myself "What is Israel offering in return".

Israel and Sudan aren't natural allies, or enemies. They don't have a lot of interests in common and there isn't much scope for them to have a trade alliance or a military alliance since they move in very different circles.

Having international recognition is very important for Israel from a psychological perspective, as it affirms their right to exist, and the politicians who get countries to recognize it will use this in order to gain an advantage over their rivals. Though as I mentioned above, there isn't all that much scope for any economic or military gains as Sudan isn't really a player in either of these areas as far as the wider Israeli issue is concerned as Sudan generally looks towards its Southern and Western neighbors as far as alliesenemies go.

It's got to be something good in order to outweigh the diplomatic problems that this is going to bring it from countries that remain opposed to Israel.

Simply "being on the winning side" doesn't seem enough. There's got to have been some incentive offered or some promise made.

Get sanctions lifted and get out from under the terrorist watch list
For Trump a badly needed feather in the cap during a tough contest, but whatever his reasons that's a good thing.
edit on 24-10-2020 by Spider879 because: Fix stuff.

top topics

join