It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visual Media Degredation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I am sure it will have been done here before but like iPhones are degraded to make people buy new ones, TV is the same.

I remember watching crystal clear cricket matches on my first ever color TV, now, if its not on a 4K subscribed channel its unwatchable.

Here is 1985 technology, Queen at Wembley:

www.youtube.com...

Here is some sport 5 years later (apparently) in 1990

www.youtube.com...

I never watched TV in blurred vision, ever.

I think that our standard definition is being degraded to make us buy 4k when analog used to be just fine.

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Look closely. The advertisements are all crystal clear.

I seldom watch TV but I put a Xiomai Mi box an an old computer monitor and it looks fantastic.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I don't think you're wrong, but the comparison isn't great. A 80's/90's era camera pretty close to one person is going to be sharper than a similarish camera trying to film fast moving sports from the top of an arena.

The people in the stands of Wembley in your first example are practically indistinguishable from one another.

Is planned obsolescence a thing? Yes. 100%. But watching sports in 80's/90's definition (my first television eras) was never great, especially fast moving sports filmed at a distance. We just didn't know any better so our brains filled things in, as they do.

Edit to add: You're also looking at footage that's been super compressed and copied to fit a format that didn't even exist when these events aired. So that could be part of it.
edit on 2-10-2020 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I don't think you're wrong, but the comparison isn't great. A 80's/90's era camera pretty close to one person is going to be sharper than a similarish camera trying to film fast moving sports from the top of an arena.

The people in the stands of Wembley in your first example are practically indistinguishable from one another.

Is planned obsolescence a thing? Yes. 100%. But watching sports in 80's/90's definition (my first television eras) was never great, especially fast moving sports filmed at a distance. We just didn't know any better so our brains filled things in, as they do.

Edit to add: You're also looking at footage that's been super compressed and copied to fit a format that didn't even exist when these events aired. So that could be part of it.

It's called digitally remastered .

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

But are these examples digitally remastered? For Youtube? I dont think they are.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: Gothmog

But are these examples digitally remastered? For Youtube? I dont think they are.

I don't know of 60p resolutions from the 80s.
Especially not HD
The same as the digitally remastered old movies.
Any9one with a stout PC can digitally remaster a movie or video with the right software.

edit on 10/2/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I don't relate well to the whole high definition thing.
I grew up watching a snowy picture on a black and white TV picking up broadcasts in mountainous terrain when the nearest broadcast station was 40 miles away.
Today, it all looks very clear and sharp compared to that.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   

The new tech can flash hidden messages to the brain. The light and frequencies are being used against us.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   
There is an awful lot of vision technology that has been hidden from the public for various reasons. Go back to the first flight of the shuttle, 1981, they had a camera lens then that focused on the shuttle when it was 100 miles down range. In the 70s they had satellites that could read the newspaper headlines from so far up.
Now look at the crap grainy images that come from the Mars orbiter or Moon orbiters and then tell me that they can't get clear detailed images.

join