It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students are questioning their faith in the wake of Falwell Jr. scandal

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   
How the mighty have fallen. When the leader of a 110,000 enrolement University is proven to be nothing but a pervy hypocrite; what do you expect?

Especially when the standards for student behavior are so strict. I guess the admin of Liberty didn't learn a damn thing from the ongoing Catholic pedo revelations. It's like America has turned into one big unfunny Monty Python sketch.

the scandel....Falwell, his wife and the pool boy. Netflix has already started on the screenplay.

www.foxnews.com...

www.reuters.com... CB

edit on 25-8-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Some people are so shielded from reality. No wonder they go after ignorant sponge minded children. I'm using ignorant in the way the dictionary says it. They just don't know otherwise.
edit on 25-8-2020 by Rekrul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Faith will survive. How many Popes have there been who are basically no-good evil bastards, and yet Christianity keeps chugging along.

Financial prosperity and social acceptance is the number one enemy of practically any religion.

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   

"Losing their faith" in what? Their leader Falwell, Liberty University or their religion?
I hope it's their religion!

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

According to my family Christianity has nothing to do with Catholicism.

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

I love R.E.M. You get a star friend. Their best song is orange crush in my opinion

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Faith will survive. How many Popes have there been who are basically no-good evil bastards, and yet Christianity keeps chugging along.

Financial prosperity and social acceptance is the number one enemy of practically any religion.

But Falwell being a trump pal and a towering icon in the US evangelical movement; will this hurt the GOP that has a holier than thou attitude anyway?

I wonder if there will now be Christian church support groups to deal with their crisis of faith.

trump can't excape his connection with Falwell jr.

edit on 25-8-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Christians don't give a crap about catholics. I'm going to let you know that right now. I'm surrounded by them. Is this Christianity we're talking about? I don't even know who that guy is.

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   

What's wrong with religion?

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Because education (supposedly) teaches critical thinking, as it should be.

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I hope it's their religion!

The chaplain will explain to them in a mandatory assembly how everyone is a sinner and aren't we all so lucky that ...

Christianity will chug right on, past the human debris, past the former passengers who have jumped off or been thrown off.

Even Falwell Jr himself may be back at the top of some big thing or other.

The name Fall Well implies he could land on his feet.

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Do you have any references on student reactions?

Here's one: Current and former Liberty University students react to Falwell resignation reports

Even last year there were protests on campus because of sexual harassment and such not being handled properly.
edit on 25-8-2020 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   
If "Students are questioning their faith in the wake of Falwell Jr. scandal," they didn't have much faith to begin with, at least not where it should have been.

I've been in ministry for nearly 40 years. I've seen and dealt and worked closely with a lot of a**holes in ministry in those nearly 40 years, but I've also dealt and worked with many, many wonderful people. That's the way it works: the visible church is filled with bad folks as well as good folks.

People change and continue to changed.

Jesus Christ is the same today, yesterday and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. James 1:17

By no means! Let God be true though every one were a liar, as it is written,“That you may be justified in your words, and prevail when you are judged.” Romans 3:4
:
edit on 2020 8 25 by incoserv because: they let me.

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Nobody is questioning their faith. But we should be questioning university tuition costs and student loan debt.

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM

What's wrong with religion?

One will never find "God" in a rule book.

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Just because they goofed doesn't mean all those kids have to or will. They will see the sin and feel sorry for them and move along remaining in the spirit of the Lord.

That is how it really works. (But yeah, what a damn bummer that is.)

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

From an NPR article last year.
Liberty University Students React To Falwell Scandal September 15, 2019

Jerry Falwell Jr. is a close ally of President Trump and the leader of Liberty University, a conservative Christian college in Virginia. Falwell is under renewed scrutiny after reports from several news outlets raised questions about his activities, including a lengthy investigation published in Politico this past week. It pulls together multiple claims of business dealings by Liberty University which sources say directly benefited Falwell's family and friends, inappropriate comments allegedly made by Falwell to colleagues and apparent attempts to mobilize students on behalf of Falwell's own political goals.

Politico quoted one unnamed university official as saying of Liberty, quote, "we're not a school - we're a real estate hedge fund. We're not educating. We're buying real estate every year and taking students' money to do it." The piece relies heavily on anonymous sources. And we can't address all of the allegations today, but Falwell has denied several of them and told the Associated Press that he's asking the FBI to investigate what he sees as a smear campaign by former employees and board members. Liberty also released a lengthy document in which Falwell defends his business decisions and argues that they are in the best interest of the university. We reached out directly to Liberty for a statement, but a spokesman declined to comment further.

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Where in the article does it say that the students are questioning their faith?

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

(But yeah, what a damn bummer that is.)

The bummer is that parents and students could get ripped off for this guy's personal gains and asperations and that wasn't considered grounds for ejection.

A simple thing like enjoying watching his wife and her boyfriend is grounds for resignation.

I mean seriously, where's the sense of proportionality?

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Also not in the article: The faith of many more have strengthened.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join