It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Freedom to Disagree

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
a reply to: zosimov

We are living in a time when free expression of thought and ideas are more abundant than ever before, when we are (mostly) free to think, say, and do what we think is best

Freedom of thought may still exist, but freedom of expression /speech is gone. It's in the rear-view mirror, and fading.

Give it another two or three decades and we may find ourselves at risk of losing our freedom of thought as well.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Then on the other side, you've got the new money, the technocrats, the big tech companies, modern industries, the upstarts who've suddenly come into ridiculous money over the last 20 years and now want control.

Im am not so sure the technocrats with their new money is as organic as they pretend.
Take Facebook. Opened "privately" when Congress shut down Darpas Lifelog publicly.
Complete with an idiot pr head with a stupid dorm or garage background.

Don't forget Reddit and how the Feds came down hard on Aaron Scwhartz locking him up basically forever which ked to his suicide. All due to making public records... public.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

I admire Russian art and intellect greatly, particularly that of her authors, many of who suffered for writing deemed inimicable to the State, but have to disagree with the premise that Russia is a beacon for free speech. Or that any salvation of mine is of this earth.

edit on 17-8-2020 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

I admire Russian art and intellect greatly, particularly that of her authors, many of who suffered for writing deemed inimicable to the State, but have to disagree with the premise that Russia is a beacon for free speech. Or that any salvation of mine is of this earth.

You are right, my friend. In Russia, the word has always been considered above business. And his freedom was ideal. Actually, now in Russia censorship on freedom of speech comes from Western social networks and media. And this is absurd.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll

You are right, my friend. In Russia, the word has always been considered above business. And his freedom was ideal. Actually, now in Russia censorship on freedom of speech comes from Western social networks and media. And this is absurd.

So, the threat to free speech in Russia is because of the West, and Western media?

I'm old enough to remember the members of Pussy Riot being imprisoned for political speech against the state and "offensive speech."

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

So, the threat to free speech in Russia is because of the West, and Western media?

I'm old enough to remember the members of Pussy Riot being imprisoned for political speech against the state and "offensive speech."

I'm pretty sure ic3peak has had some trouble with the police over there as well.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Of course, censorship in Russia comes from Western social networks like YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter. They massively ban users who are patriotic about their country, delete accounts of major patriotic media with all the long-term content. For example, recently YouTube deleted accounts with all content from the Orthodox-patriotic TV channels Tsargrad and Day-TV. By this, Western social networks violate the laws and the Constitution of Russia, which will necessarily entail blocking their work in Russia. If you want to work in a country, observe its laws. It is obvious.

As for Pussi Riot. This is a purely criminal story. Imagine if they did something like this in the United States in a synagogue or mosque. This is a whole bunch of criminal articles. They were still treated humanely.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join