It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WalMart placed next to Pyramid of the Sun - Say 'hi' to the new manifestation of The Corporation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Ancient Mesoamerica blends with the likes of the 'Buy one get one free' revolution.

Just 2,000 meters from the Temple of the Sun in San Juan, Mexico lies the newly constructed 'Mega' Wal-Mart. The corporate leviathan has swallowed up this sacred land as means to add to their already existing 687 store strong chain in Mexico.

As I climbed the 247 steep stone steps divided into four narrow tiers to the pyramid's summit, many of my fellow pilgrims expressed their umbrage at the new Wal-Mart, in plain sight down below, just 2,000 meters away.

"It is like an invasion, a new conquest," opined Rafael, a young computer technician from Cordoba, Veracruz.

"Falta de respeto" (a lack of respect), a middle-aged woman missing her two front teeth spat. "This is Mexico, you know."

"What a horror! They insult the Gods! Quezalcoatl must be furious!" said Mexico City grade school teacher Xenia Marquez, extending her arms towards the weak December sun at the very apex of the Pyramid of the Sun. Her tirade was interrupted by the tingling of her cell phone.

The saga of the resistance to the Teotihuacan Wal-Mart is a picaresque footnote in the battle against the global leviathan. "Wal-Mart has profaned the City of the Gods, and there are no deities in Mesoamerica that can protect it," darkly warned Miguel Limon-Portillo, the celebrated translator of Aztec poetry. Whereas in the U.S., such disputes are apt to be settled before permit appeals and zoning boards, the Teotihuacan Wal-Mart touched a raw national nerve, and so this war was fought à la Mexicana.
www.alternet.org...

So now we have The Corporation vs. God going head to head under an arena we like to call 'Earth'. It's going to be interesting to see who wins.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:47 AM
link   
This is a justifiable situation where Guerilla Warfare can be used.
When all the workers are home sleeping, BOMB the WALMART, set fire to it, small all the products and demolish the site.

This is abusive to the Culture and History of that region and should be addressed with War not words.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:00 AM
link   

This is abusive to the Culture and History of that region and should be addressed with War not words.

The people don't have to use words or war. They just have to refuse to shop there. If it really matters to them, and they can resist Walmarts low low prices, then the store will close.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   
With over 600 in mexico that's not going to happen... Besides not only do they just establish a presence in a community, they drive all the 'little fish' out so there is only one option left, them.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   
If it was so important to keep building such as this more than a mile from the pyramid, why wasn't the land owned by the government or at least zoned as to prohibit this?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I stand a fair chance of getting a waning for this but here goes...

# the corporations. Kill them. RESIST RESIST RESIST

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
why wasn't the land owned by the government or at least zoned as to prohibit this?

I would think that Mexicans (as well as the government) are assuming that corporate entities would keep out of the area as a sign of respect for the ancient Mesoamerican culture. It’s like placing placing security cameras within a church. People assume that others aren’t going to steal from something that’s sacred or holy. However we now know that The Corporation lacks this simple form of decency.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:17 AM
link   
It's nearly a mile away, and I don't buy the argument that this is a holy site, it's a site of ancient bloodthirsty human sacrifices. There are stores much closer than a mile to cathedrals and ancient sites worldwide.

I think you're just using this as an excuse to blast Wal Mart.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   

It's nearly a mile away, and I don't buy the argument that this is a holy site, it's a site of ancient bloodthirsty human sacrifices. There are stores much closer than a mile to cathedrals and ancient sites worldwide.

How about the Pyramids at Giza, put a nice mcdonalds with a huge sign visible from the pyramids?

When you go to world heritage sites you don't want corporations there trying to sell you stuff do you? I don't.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:21 AM
link   
2000 meters away.

Walmart is supposedly a good neighbor.
Their commercials state that they are "GOOD" for the local economy.
Business wise, and as regional philanthropists.

Walmart should become a substantial contributor to the study and upkeep of this monument..a protector, so to speak.. Good PR for them, good for the locals.

On the other hand. Wasn't it common practice for meso americans to build one monument on top of the previous? Using the older as a foundation?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00PS
How about the Pyramids at Giza, put a nice mcdonalds with a huge sign visible from the pyramids?

When you go to world heritage sites you don't want corporations there trying to sell you stuff do you? I don't.

There are McDonalds and other such places just blocks away from ancient sites in Rome, Greece and all around Europe.

And actually a Super Size Coke would probably be excellent after traipsing through the Egyptian pyramids in the desert heat.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:29 AM
link   

I really dont have enough bias towards or against Wal Mart. Just provided new material for ATS. However, I do beleive that the dominator mentality as illustrated in the last few decades by The Corporation needs to end as it's the only way we can properly progress in the future.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Corporation Vs. God?

The corporation is already driving home from the fight with the trophy in the back.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Now, you must ask yourself......

Does anyone ever really need an excuse to blast Wal Mart?

(In a Homer disgruntled voice)

" Lousy, stinkin' Wal Mart."

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I really dont see the big deal, its not like they plan on turning the pyramid of the sun into a wallmart, they are building one allmost a mle away. Have any of you ever been to Giza?
There are shops less than 100 feet from the pyramids.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
It's actually more than a mile away, not less. 2000 meters is about 1.25 miles.

In 3000 years time, people will vacation to the Walmart ruins and marvel at how the ancient Mexicans and Americans managed to build such a fantastic and strange structure with such primitive technology. "Look at the seamless joins on the support beams!!" they will cry in astonishment. They will invent theories about how aliens must have helped in the building process. Stuffy, old, bespectacled men in tweed jackets with patches on the elbows will examine the "clues" dug up by archaeologists and release research papers explaining how we ancient folk used to visit the holy "Supercenter" 24 hours a day to pay homage to the great God of discounts, pushing our sacred shopping trolleys around in solemn reverence, while the evil high-priests of the Supercenter secretly hoarded the money and channelled it back to America to pay for holy crusades against the infidels in the Middle East.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

With over 600 in mexico that's not going to happen... Besides not only do they just establish a presence in a community, they drive all the 'little fish' out so there is only one option left, them.

They drive small businesses out because people stop shopping there to go to Walmart, because its far cheaper. They dont' physically go force people out of business, or go buy up the competition.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Walmart is an evil anti society company and no one should shop there. They have an established history of poor wages, almost no benifits, union busting, All chinese merchandise, local store destroying, economic mayhem. Vote with your feet and WALK AWAY. we all need to encourage this type of corperate behavior to stop and the best way is not to spend your Pesos at anyWalmart and get your friends and relatives to do the same. Buy local, buy human, Bye bye Wallyworld

As opposed to small stores that cost more, and take more money out of the pockets of the consumer...

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
First and foremost I feel the need to make my objection to what 00PS has said, not because I oppose all violence but because I have my own moral beliefs regarding both violence in general and domestic strife.
I would be very slow to urge violence over anything which I personally do not plan to fight for. I would be a hypocrite to say "bomb walmart" if I did not plan to bomb walmart. I may as well say "go risk imprisonment on my behalf, and do not be dismayed by my unwillingness to engage in the fight personally".
Furthermore I believe that the primary legitimate target in any domestic strife is the government, its agents, and mechanisms of its control. If we attacked every problem at its lowest point then you would have anarchy; a nation ruled by the small local violent outbursts. Sadly, if a nation as a whole wants to have Walmart, then it is not the right of the violent minority to overthrow Walmart.
If there is a problem worth fighting over, I believe it the legitimate recourse is against the government which allows that problem to persist. Thus I try to continue to recognize the rule of law (as we all implicitly do by choosing to live in settled territory where the social contract serves to protect us) while maintaining the right to rebel if I believe that the government is in any way not living up to its end of the bargain.

As for the placing of this Walmart: It seems like it could very easily be a detriment to an important historical site, but I'm assuming that they didn't just build a walmart in the middle of nowhere, right? Hopefully this wont be the first building placed so close, will it?
I'm still against it, but if its not the first then it's not nearly as great a sign of disrespect for history. "Corporate Leviathan" is the best description of Walmart I've ever heard. I'm no communist, but I am a hard working man who received his training, his incentive to work hard, and his employment opportunities from a labor union, and as such I detest Walmart and everything they stand for.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I advocate violence and would act against walmart in such fashion especially if I was a mexican.

Remeber the Alamo!?

Now come on Vegabond, don't be such a 'non-violent' person while corporations and the government go around the world hurting people and taking away from their culture, society and history by their actions.

And you expect them to fight back without violence while violence is used against them. Tsk Tsk.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join