It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WI governor proposes state sales tax on downloads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Well, I guess if you can't control it, just tax it.

arstechnica.com...
Wisconsin's Democratic governor thinks it's not fair that tangible items get taxed while downloads, like music, ebooks, software, etc., go completely untaxed. So, he proposes to rectify the situation by having Wisconsin's 5% state sales tax apply to Internet downloads. This is kind of like that famous hoax about how the USPS wants to charge people 5 cents for e-mail messages, except it's for real.

arstechnica.com...

We have about three years before this is going to become an issue again, when it comes back aorund we need to actively fight this. I think the money I pay for my power bill to run my computer, my phone bill for connecting, and the money I pay my ISP is plenty. We can't let them have the internet to regulate and tax, as I quite strongly believe it may the last bastion of true communication and information exchange.
www.pcworld.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I'm a bit lazy today, so I didn't read the links, but how will they enforce this?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy

Well, I guess if you can't control it, just tax it.

Which creates what's called an "economic barrier."

Twitchy - please write this up for ATSNN....

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

WI governor proposes state sales tax on downloads

WI citizens propose downloading on the steps of the state capitol building.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I submitted it to the ATSNN but I got one of these U2U's adn I have no idea which source it finds unacceptable, or how to correct it.
An experienced ATSNN user (author with 25 or more accepted submissions, original ATSNN staff, or board staff) has noticed what appears to be an unacceptable source article in your submission here:
(submission) (politics) WI Governor Proposes State Sales Tax On Downloads.

We prefer to use source links from higher-tier news websites. If your source was from a blog, other discussion board, or new magazine site with a heavy political biase, that may have caused this action. Please locate another source link from a higher-order online source and edit your submission.

Your submission will not be able to accept member votes until you return and make the needed edits.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS U2U.

new topics

top topics

join