It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That moment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Particular situation I found interesting "in these times". Rented into a new place, the owners and a couple in their 40s live there, too.

Naturally, I was curious how they handle the corona thing, for making "first contact" with them. But you do not ask stuff like that, to complete strangers... I found people are generally grouping up in their three bases: extreme angst, middle, extreme ignorance and stick together. Yes these terms are floating because everyone has their own definitions.

I respect each personal decision and will adapt to it, to a certain degree.

Situation:
Few days ago, late evening, 8pm, I dragged up my boxes and small furniture I could do alone, into my new home. Saw the people living under me and greeted them, told them I will mind the noise and stop when it gets to late. They laughed and said no problem. We quickly exchanged names. I had a heavy box, so I nodded up and said I go on my way and we give them a visit the next days. A few minutes later, the both of them already waited at the truck I rented.

With hands free I approached them in my normal, very speedy way of walking, raised my hand out, made eye contact and saw both looking down on my stretched out hand. Stopped on a dime, around two meters (6feet) in front of them. Super awkward moment. Silence. I can feel the blood shooting into my ears and face. Both smile, he chuckles and say that it is okay. What a relief. He helped me bring up the rest of the things while she kept my kid busy in my apartment.

It felt a bit like these moments in Walking Dead, when people meet each other the first time, and ask "have you killed and if yes why". Sure, not the same! But the initial moment of trying to figure a special thing out about the other, is the point.

It was such a relief, to not have this Corona thing between me and my new neighbors, as an additional barrier.

Do you have similar, not corona related examples that were different from lets say, mundane things like who is your favorite sports team or whatever. Things like the above that will put a label on you, that will stick and will determine your future to a degree?

Thanks for reading

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Shibari

Well that was well written and honest. What a pleasant surprise!

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I do not like labels but they are necessary to a degree. Bad and good is also a label. We all look for patterns we can sort into boxes to get an overview, everyone does.

I would not believe anyone who tells me they have no bias. Everyone has that to a degree, it just depends on the experiences of the individual.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I would have no issue with asking strangers that I have to deal with on an interpersonal basis, how they wish to deal with things.

I certainly wouldn't extend my hand too. In a time like this, imposing my own considerations would be something I'd take a step back from, and wait to see how they act.

I mean, it's not a courtesy, really. to be wary, cautious, aware.. some may say "I won't let that damn fake virus skeer me!" but not everyone is the same.

getting this thing can be hell, even if not traumatic.. it hurts, a lot, in some cases, even when not fatal.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Insalinity

I have no issues, too, I was in a hurry and my head with a thousand things elsewhere. Did not have a lot of social contacts since this all started so I was kind of not aware. It is life.

What I did not do is downplay the virus, no idea how you got that impression.
My reaction should have told you how I felt in that situation.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I was just recently at a restaurant sitting by myself at a table while waiting for the person I was meeting. I saw some friends come in and take a table nearby. Out of the three people at the table I knew two of them. So I sent a text to one of my friends asking if it would be ok to approach the table and come say hi. They discussed it then texted me back the answer was no. Lol.

Awkward.

In the response text my friend said the third person wasn't ok with it. And wasn't ready for interaction with strangers yet.

So yeah. People are still weirded out.

No worries. The person I was waiting for showed up a few minutes later.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Meniscus

That is decent of you to text and I would have respected the no, too, without remorse. Reasons is clear.

But

If we believe to official narrative that it is so highly infectious, in a bar or restaurant, over long term, the idea of staying away from a certain table to protect me or others, becomes more useless, the longer one stays. As soon as the waiter swooshes along the tables, he will distribute it with the air circulation anyways.

But of course that is up to each and everyone and it should be respected when someone is not feeling well to have too much contact.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   

The grocery stores here were I live have made all the isles one way. They have arrows pointing the correct direction to walk down the isle so you don't pass by people coming the opposite direction. I'm not sure how much that will effect virus transmission. But hey if it makes people feel better I will do it. Lol

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Meniscus

The stores in my region do not have arrows, but we have a distance rule, 2m, about 6 feet and we have to wear masks indoor.

You will not get in, if you do not wear one. I tolerate it and go by the rules, not only because I have to, because it is my job currently. I look if people wear their masks while they enter the building and say something if not. Mostly it is older folks that have to be reminded. I did not have to argue a lot yet and most comply. I think it is the peer pressure, not me saying something, I am just parroting a friendly reminder. What they do inside with their masks I do not care.

It is the best I could get currently. Dislike the authority figure I represent and being "that one" but it is a income. Not doing this all the time but most of it. I do not count this as social contacts though.

My mishap with the hand was just the common courtesy kicking in, not lacking courtesy, just did not think about it being a problem currently. Does not happen everyday I move somewhere else and have to greet new people, that you normally do by reaching a hand.

what humans do, I heard

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I’ve had two people touch my back and shoulder recently; I literally sprayed Lysol on myself (out of their sight so as not to offend) til I got home to shower.

I think people feel it is safe to do so now. I just hope we don’t start having huge increases in cases again!

edit on 23-5-2020 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Yeah we have the 6ft distance rule and the mask requirement as well. Our population here in Key West is just over 24,000ppl. Without tourists. We have only three grocery stores. Two Publix and one Winn Dixie. We have two smaller grocery stores that are way too expensive. All three "large" grocery stores are physically on the smaller side compared to other places I have lived. The isles area bit on the narrow side. They stay pretty busy.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=25189159]KTemplar[/]
That is a bit different but I get your concerns.

I decided for myself that I keep distance and wear the mask, as they want me to, to have my peace. Sounds a bit contradicting, I know.

An elderly friend who I helped out around the house and shopping, we can not visit her since over two months now. My daughter wants to see her too but it is difficult to explain to a child.

She is in a risk group and should avoid social contact. Now, she is not good on foot and barely goes out there, the whole situation puts a strain on here even more. The isolation is not good for her health, she even says it herself. But she is not very mobile and can not go too far without the wheelchair. She keeps sitting outside even in the cold, that freaks her caretaker out but she says she walked barefoot to school, she will not succumb.

No idea if she just makes fun with me, I heard this sentence a lot from older folks. I find it important that children also have a lot of contact with the older generations, both still can learn from each other, or relearn things, I too. It is a win-win-win.

new topics

top topics

join