It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea and a New Green Deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2020 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I saw this earlier while browsing different media platforms and waited around to see if anyone would make a post about it.

Well, I guess I will since I think many here would like to discuss it.

So, South Korean president Moon Jae-in wins the election and the party he represents also gained a good chunk of seats in their National Assembly.

This has allowed their party to push forward in implementing their version of a "Green New Deal."

Seoul apparently is set to place 2050 as the year they reach net zero emissions and to no longer finance coal operations.

This will make them the first country in East Asia to implement such measure.

I guess their handling of SARS-CoV-2 and the associated Covid-19 disease allowed them to remain the controlling party, and gain more seats.

This is what led them to be able to push for this.

www.climatechangenews.com...

According to the following link South Korea is the seventh largest polluter as a country.

So, I guess they've got their work cut out for them.

Their green deal closely resembles the EU version and will implement a carbon tax and increase funds for renewable energy technology.

But according to the following link, many green/eco-type activists say that it's not enough that their government has announced plans to commit to a new green deal, but that they want more specific wording and wanted it to be clear that combustion engines would be phased out, as well as well defined policies and a roadmap to 2050.

www.forbes.com...

I tried to find some original sources, but the only ones I coukd find were in Korean and Google translate didn't work on any of the pages.

Edit to add a thought.

It seems that the more I read about the actions of politicians around the world, that much like South Korea here, there is a lot of new green deal stuff being passed alongside Covid-19 measures.

It leads me to believe that it is possible that there are some major players using this "epidemic" as a way to test run how the world will run on less emmissions.

I mean alot of this stuff just happened to fall together at the most convenient time.

Oil hit, economy hit, less peoole working, less pollution, a lot of new news articles about such and such countries using mostly renewable energies. NGD policies being put into Covid-19 plans.

Just a curious coincidence or is this really the transition unfolding in front of us.
edit on 1942020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

I think it is a transition that was inevitable but that has had a lot of push-back from detractors who have said that it was impossible to achieve.

Now that the environment has been so radically changed, within just a few short weeks, the once 'impossible' is seen as doable, and the arguments of the old guard have fallen aside.

edit on 20/4/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 07:03 AM
link   

This is much more achievable now that the pandemic has eradicated the air line industry.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 07:22 AM
link   

It leads me to believe that it is possible that there are some major players using this "epidemic" as a way to test run how the world will run on less emmissions.

It shouldn't take a pandemic for this to be the case, but I get your point.

Lot of respect for South Korea, green is good

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   
It has been shown to be possible. I'm all for renewable energy and taking care of the environment.

I'm just not too sure about the legislature involved here in the US. It's always tucked in with other policies that I'm very wary about.

posted on Apr, 20 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
It has been shown to be possible. I'm all for renewable energy and taking care of the environment.

I'm just not too sure about the legislature involved here in the US. It's always tucked in with other policies that I'm very wary about.

Damn straight. When we actually dig through it all, rather than how its marketed, a much different picture emerges if implemented.

People like me, who are concerned about such things but dont buy into the proposed solutions (at all) are a bit displaced.

Its probably noteworthy that all these things have been pursued for years, and its just being pushed harder than ever under the auspices and narrative control of a pandemic.

new topics

top topics

join