It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is disgusting... utterly disgusting...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DoctorBluechip
a reply to: FyreByrd

Sounds a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul , ouch

Ignoring child support not the same? Or just negligence on the person? Despite the fact, most states pay and bill the financially outstanding parent....

Collect the court ordered arrears...good. They knew they we owed.

Mg

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: VeeTNA
I read somewhere it was only past-due child support that would be garnished.

??

States are losing billions of dollars in Revenue during this manufactured crisis.

I could easily see them seizing stimulus payments 2 partially or totally settle any debts that citizens owe.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

It is money that people would have to pay back at some point anyway.

No! In this case the people are not paying back their debt. You and I are paying back their debt! We are ensuring the lending entity is covered. Perhaps they lent to those who should not have been lent to. So now you and I are making good on risky lending practices and those who have no plans to repay their debt.

This is not a sound idea no matter how anyone cares to spin it.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Seizing this like another payment as ordered...no?

You say manufactured, so a payment to a garnished, court ordered, bank or employer ordered to garnish for a specific individual plays in how?

It's not a manufactured payment, or is it?

Mg

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

They're losing revenue because of corporations/employers being shuttered. These are dire straits, to be sure.

Sucks when it's time for "52 pickup" after the house of cards collapses. It sucks every time.

ETA: Oh, also; "Wall Street." Living off of a numerical sequence of digits on a screen. That's lots of lost "revenue." People working in groceries and big box and even small hardware stores have very very very little of that. It's fitting that they are getting bonuses, recognition, and appreciation.

edit on 16-4-2020 by VeeTNA because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   

LOL.

We've now sunk to making deadbeat parents victims in order to demonize Trump and people he appoints. Typical garbage reporting for the low information masses to wet themselves over.

I bet Trump was against releasing all those poor rapists and child molesting pedophiles from incarceration too. Somebody should write some more articles about how bad Trump is.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I read somewhere it was only past-due child support that would be garnished.

??

I heard that one too.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

We've now sunk to making deadbeat parents victims in order to demonize Trump and people he appoints.

We? Kimosabe?

Deadbeat parents are deadbeat parents. Their kids are the victims.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Not to spin it, but we're looking at default levels similar, if not potentially worse than those in 08'.

Now, the government isn't helping by incentivising loans with low interest rates... Which I've personally seen an uptick in unsolicited offers myself for new lines of credit...

We're in a really bad situation right now, one that I'd put blame on the government in a lot of ways. But I think the biggest problem in society is the perceived bigotry behind the notion of personal responsibility.

Yup, if you are in debt to the bank, they will do what they can to get back what you owe them. No one put a gun to your head and forced you to get a loan. I understand life sucks sometimes, but the only way we grow as a nation is if we go back to seeing personal responsibility as a civic duty. Maybe when we do that everything else will fall into place.

I understand that - and it is do to, shall we say, circumstances beyond 'personal responsibility, you might call it an act of God if you believe in such things also.

The biggest part of the DISGUSTING is that the titans of - well whatever they think they are titans of - are trying to fix the systemic problem in the same manner as they didn't fix it in the recession of 2008-2011 or whatever.

All that got 'fixed' was the number's - the metrics - that the 'titan's have been trained to follow. Nothing substantial about the underlying system that 'feed's those metrics' was adjusted, improved or corrected in reality.

So how is this same sort of 'gaming' going to fix anything this time around?

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

well.. outstanding debts is outstanding debts...

That's pretty cold hearted. No doubt - but the timing will only cause more debt and suffering. For what? Pay tell. The enrichment of Private Equity?

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: CriticalStinker

No argument but there is just no foreseeable way to get back to what it used to be.

On topic: this has the same avenues as an income tax refund. If you are in default, the debt collector that has been authorized can seize the funds. It sucks but is not uncommon.

Ask anyone who has had to go through friend of the court.

You are correct. It's business as usual. And we are seeing just what business as usual really is.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I figured this already, by reading what couldn't be an issue, you can determine what can be an issue. If someone has a judgement against a person and that judgement was linked so they could take money from that person from their bank account, it is only protected up until the point it enters their bank account. Then it can be removed at that point using the settlement by the court to justify it. It can be seized for child support before the fact though.

Hospitals and collection agencies will get a high percentage of the stimulus money from people.

Again correct. But is it moral, ethical. This is the challenge of this crisis - do we want to live in a society that puts profits (just for a very few) before the wellbeing of people?

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   

a reply to: Ksihkehe

We've now sunk to making deadbeat parents victims in order to demonize Trump and people he appoints.

We? Kimosabe?

Deadbeat parents are deadbeat parents. Their kids are the victims.

If the stimuls payment for the parent is garnished to pay back child support, then it goes to those kids... just sayin'.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Yeah it's disgusting...and oh look, it brought out the disgusting know it alls to the chat. Hey, there's a big surprise.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

If the stimuls payment for the parent is garnished to pay back child support, then it goes to those kids... just sayin'.

Yes!!!

That.!....Just sayin' that too.

Exactly. *elbow bump* *salute*

I don't see how that's "victimizing deadbeat parents" as was suggested above.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BoscoMoney

Yeah it's disgusting...and oh look, it brought out the disgusting know it alls to the chat.

Who are "the disgusting know it alls"?

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   

a reply to: VeeTNA

Treasury Offset Program (from .gov)

Economic Impact Payments:

On March 27, 2020, Congress passed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (“CARES”) Act, which, among other things, authorizes economic impact payments (also referred to as “stimulus payments” or “recovery rebate payments”) to eligible individuals. For details on these economic impact payments, please visit www.irs.gov/coronavirus.

I owe delinquent debt. Will my economic impact payment be offset?
The economic impact payments can be offset through the Treasury Offset Program (TOP) only to collect delinquent child support obligations that have been referred by the state to TOP.

How much of my economic impact payment can be offset to satisfy my delinquent child support debt?
Your entire economic impact payment can be offset, up to the amount of your child support debt.

Ruh roh

Nice work.

Again I ask, at this time, is this appropriate? When millions are losing their jobs, and eventually homes and cars and lives?

I'm all for governmental collection of child support payments, but in this situation, I think any 'offsets' are inappropriate.

Personally, this 'payoff' from the government doesn't affect me. I won't receive it nor do I want it. I'm not wealthy by any means - just don't want to take the 30 pieces of silver - so that the .5% can receive another massive handout.

I welcome any help the government can provide working people to keep their jobs, homes and lives intact. But I'm tired of the immoral system that keeps the rich and powerful living off the backs of working people.

This is the proper job of government and of our taxes, securing the wellbeing of all our citizens and residents.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: missed_gear

originally posted by: DoctorBluechip

Sounds a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul , ouch

Ignoring child support not the same? Or just negligence on the person? Despite the fact, most states pay and bill the financially outstanding parent....

Collect the court ordered arrears...good. They knew they we owed.

Mg

And just how will 'court ordered arrears' be paid in the future - when the 'deadbeat', as you call whomever, is out of a job and a home and ....

Just how will that help any children get their support for future months and years?

Think people - think long term.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I could not agree more.
Thanks for the thread. This tar pit is a sticky sorta quick-sandy like thing....

sigh

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY
a reply to: Spacespider

No! In this case the people are not paying back their debt. You and I are paying back their debt! We are ensuring the lending entity is covered. Perhaps they lent to those who should not have been lent to. So now you and I are making good on risky lending practices and those who have no plans to repay their debt.

This is not a sound idea no matter how anyone cares to spin it.

By supporting people in order that they can repay their debt is in the long term benefit of the holders of said debt.

If you take this 'pittance' away from people already struggling with losing jobs, etc. The debts not being paid in the future.

Granted their are deadbeats out there (I can think of several in positions of power) but most people want to repay their debts and will work to do so. Without work (and remember millions are now out of work and millions more will be), without the ability to pay their day to day needs for shelter and food, how will they ever pay back their longer term debts.

Think of it as return on investment.

Investing $1,200 now allowing them to keep up or at least not go deeper into debt (and I don't think it's enough for most honestly) allows them to regain employment or find new, feed their families. Do you want hordes of starving families without shelter, desperate homeless roaming the streets of your home town? What do you think will happen?

We invest plenty (as a people through our government) in all manner of technology but where everything comes from is from people, the everyday working joe. We need to invest in the working joe and josephine. If not now? When?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join