It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake Reentry Stickers Nabbed at Florida Keys Checkpoints

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Monroe County/ the Florida Keys put up road blocks on the two roads into Key Largo to restrict access to residents, commercial goods, and essential workers. The road block turned around thousands within the first couple of hours and countless more in the past 10 days or so.

Because of the hurricane threat and evacuations, residents get re-entry stickers for their vehicles. Initially those with re-entry were being waived through the checkpoints. However this is changed and now everyone must show ID or some form of proof of residency to get through as a result of hundreds of counterfeit re-entry stickers being discovered. The stickers are apparently being made and sold in the Miami area.

As a Key West resident this is upsetting. The Miami area has the highest infection numbers in the state and many residents are not taking the social distancing requirements seriously which in my opinion will lead to an explosion of cases in the near future for Southeast Florida. The lack of concern for social distancing is apparent, and the fact so.many would resort to using counterfeit stickers to gain entry into the Florida Keys highlights and the lack of concern many have in the spread of the virus. It has been an obvious problem that the Florida Keys was having many Miami residents 'party' here after Miami shut down their beaches and other places of gatherings.

The residents of the Florida Keys fully support the road block and applaud the Sheriff's Deputy vigilant eye spotting the initial counterfeit sticker that led to the confiscation and awareness of the counterfeit re-entry stickers.

Hundreds of fake reentry stickers nabbed at checkpoints

edit on 6-4-2020 by jrod because: Add pic

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   
2x
edit on 6-4-2020 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   
#occupythestreets

Its time to fill entire cities with our presence and show the powers that be we will not submit to their Covert Operation Viral Intelligent Deception

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

I think the guys who made stickers should run away from the cops.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
#occupythestreets

Its time to fill entire cities with our presence and show the powers that be we will not submit to their Covert Operation Viral Intelligent Deception

Great but what does that have to do with people trying to scam the system in that area?

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Graphic designer making extra money on the side while working from home. Or someone at the print shop that produces these for Monroe County does extra runs and sells them on the black market.
edit on 6-4-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

edit on 6-4-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

This can also be a concern after a hurricane when looting is a major problem, the re-entry stickers were meant to allow only residents in. Looks like after the next storm they might be forced to check everyone's ID which will make the line even longer for re-entry. Many of us do not evacuate because getting back home is such a burden.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 05:40 PM
link   
One thing that may be considered, is that there is a % of people that feel that they havent gotten a fair shake at life, and have been left out or locked out of the prosperity and abundance America claims to be for all. Those people may not care to preserve what was built and attempted to be protected now. I think some just flat out dont care what happens to them or anyone else, because no matter what happens their life will suck at least as bad as it always had or worse after all this. Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve
One thing that may be considered, is that there is a % of people that feel that they havent gotten a fair shake at life, and have been left out or locked out of the prosperity and abundance America claims to be for all. Those people may not care to preserve what was built and attempted to be protected now. I think some just flat out dont care what happens to them or anyone else, because no matter what happens their life will suck at least as bad as it always had or worse after all this. Just a thought.

In Europe we call these people ''refugees''.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Asgaard

Those people are going to go by many names and come in all colors and creed. Many people are in that group and didnt know it, but will soon realize it.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve

Have no doubt about this and it is likely a sentiment that is growing. Not to mention that shady characters got to eat too. The longer this goes on the more urgent people's situation will become. The black market got turned on its ear too, Of course guns and drugs are still huge but likely whole new subsets of items will becoming more valuable.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Those who want to go to the keys can still do so by boat without any restrictions.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I am also a Key West Resident and I support the road block. I thought people would stop coming here after they closed everything except essential businesses. I mean who wants to hangout at CVS or Publix? Everything tourism related is closed. No sunset cruises or charter fishing trips. The beaches are closed so is Southernmost Point. Mallory Square is closed no sunset celebration. Restaurants and bars closed on March 17th at 5pm except for take out and delivery. They closed hotels March 22nd 6pm. But people kept coming down here. In fact the City had to put a tarp on the Southernmost Point Bouy for a few days to discourage people from standing 30ppl deep in line to take a picture with it. According to an article in the Key West Citizen 60% of the homes in Key West are second homes owned by people from out of state. Many of them rent thier home out as a short term vacation rental. There is a ban on short term vacation rentals. Code enforcement is normally in charge of writing violations and fines for home owners that violate the short term rental rules. Usually the only way code enforcement finds out about an illegal rental is when a neighbor calls code enforcement to complain. I can't think of where else these people are staying. I went to the grocery store today. Saw more than a few out of state plates just walking through the parking lot to the store.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I live on Cudjoe Key and fully support the toad blocks ! .... On our chain of islands we do not have great health care or extensive health care . Any time anyone is seriously ill or injured , life flight helicopter has to fly them to the main land . At this time we can not afford to over flow our small hospitals . Key west Hopsital only has 4 ventilators..... that’s not enough for a pandemic issue ....And as for the illegal counterfeit re-entry ystickers , in my opinion anyone caught using them , or selling them , should be arrested and have to go to court . And possibly brought up on attempted manslaughtered charges ,if they pop positive for Coronavirus ....It’s no different then forging any government document or identification ....and/or purposely bringing an infectious disease past a government check point ....a lot of the local Air B and B owners and short term rentals are using the re-entry stickers to secretly ferry in renters . And Miami hoodlums are using them to clean out the grocery stores and party in the keys . .. not to mention crime is rising . .... but remember , not all out of state license plates means someone is invading the keys , , as we have a large military population stationed here and they are not required to have Florida license plates ....as well as long term renters ( snow birds ) who’s 6 month rental agreements are all ending soon .
edit on 7-4-2020 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Are the rich people still flying into KW in their private jets? That’s how most of those people with second homes in the keys get around the road block after hurricanes. Must be nice.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181
We have commercial flights daily. I read in the local newspaper that Code enforcement will be cracking down on illegal rentals.

top topics

join