It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bogus Wedding Invite?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Yesterday I received a wedding invitation in the mail.
It looked legit...although it was for two people (and family names) I had no recognition of...in a state I have no family or friends.

My wife and I both have no clue who these two people getting married are.
They have a website about their wedding to go to...where you can see a registry, and bad photo of the happy couple (taken from a distance)...and, again, we don't recognize them or their last names.

Is this a scam to get people to send money?
Has anyone else ever received one of these?

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Sounds like...
When is the wedding scheduled?
what's that internet page?
Do you have a phone number?

Try and contact you might find some long lost relatives, if the first thing they want is money i say bogus...

Sincerely NC

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: NoConspiracy

Yeah. No phone number...Wedding is May 9th.
Don't want to post the website address...on the outside chance it's legit.

I'm ignoring it...but wondered how common this is as it could be a fairly clever scam.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Call the venue, if there's a wedding scheduled, probably is a legit wedding. Might be the kids of old friends, maybe cousins, who have different last names due to marriage. The parents of the couple probably got to pick some guests and think you and your wife would be fun to share the day with.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Ask your postal carrier how many they've seen...or just the 1

PS It's against the law to open another's mail!!!!

Stay well
edit on 22-3-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   
One clue that really makes me question this is that the invitation contains my full and MIDDLE name.
My middle name is largely unknown to everyone.
It's addressed to Mr. and Mrs. (My full name)...which leads me to believe it's bogus.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   

A trend with younger couples lately is to send wedding invitations to really rich people, CEO's, celebrities, etc. in the hopes that their assistants will just send a gift.

It started as kind of a joke, and now scammers have really turned on to it.
You were probably on a list of some sort the people got a hold of.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Sounds bogus to me ... a wedding in the middle of a quarantine , but if you can’t come ,send money ....but I do like mountain laurel idea of calling the venue . But google the venue don’t use any number on the invite as it could connect to some dude pretending . ... I would love to see the website they sent ! ( because I think it’s a scam ) But I understand the privacy In case it’s real . .. good luck , if all else fails and the wedding is close and won’t cost you anything , drive by and see if it’s happening , you could always crash it .

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Perhaps you are expected to go. Then someone empties your property of property.

Be careful.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

A wedding Invite in the middle of a National Quarantine makes sense if they expect people to just send money and gifts.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Try a duckduckgo search on wedding invitation scams. Quite interesting ...

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
It's addressed to Mr. and Mrs. (My full name)...which leads me to believe it's bogus.

That's just being old-fashioned. The convention used to be that the wife of Mr. John Smith was called Mrs John Smith, at least formally. Then of course they would be Mr. and Mrs. John Smith. The wife of Prince Michael of Kent is/was called (I haven't checked on her current status) Princess Michael. It was only through a kind of popular revolt that Princess Diana escaped being called Princess Charles.

edit on 22-3-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   
MYSTERY SOLVED!

Asked my son about it...and he said he's standing up in the wedding of his friend from school...so we also received an invite.
Also the wedding was just postponed from May to August.

Thanks for your responses.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
MYSTERY SOLVED!

Asked my son about it...and he said he's standing up in the wedding of his friend from school...so we also received an invite.
Also the wedding was just postponed from May to August.

Thanks for your responses.

Will he stand up when the priest gets to the bit "are there any here who object?"

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 03:42 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

join