It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shutins guide to the virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I've seen a lot of people discussing the changes they've made due to this outbreak, but I have to wonder how it is affecting those lost voices like myself......the shut-ins. Or is it an impact at all.

I'd find it hard to believe on such a forum that there isn't a large population of people that already were living like there was always a global pandemic sweeping the globe.

Then again, maybe it's just another example of how much effect this thing actually has when people regularly confined for 4 to 6 days at a time are altering their routine.

As for the effect to me(i'm fairly rural and anti social). I've tried to space out my grocery trips from 1 week to 2 weeks(about 2 months ago I overbought and stocked up, so now I'm doing 2 weeks for "standard" stuff).

I've gone from buying a bottle or two of whisky to buying a few bottles of scotch and a few 1.75's of usual stock of kentucky brown water(for reserves).

Thankfully I've always bought my cigars in bulk and they are delivered through the mail(though maybe now I should start wiping the box down with alcohol when I get it).

I guess after typing it out, it's surprising how it's even effecting someone like me that has zero exposure to begin with.

But I'm doing these things not out of fear of the actual virus, but of peoples reactions. I'm firmly in that boat. I get out every 3 or 4 days, but i'm well stocked if I have to sit by for 3 or 4 weeks. The worst part is there isn't crap worth watching these days on all the streaming platforms.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I was fondly reminiscing earlier about a time before children where these current world events wouldn’t have phased me at all. I spent most of my time alone, worked from home and didn’t require much to get by. I rarely went anywhere or shopped, just naturally a home body. Lucky you!

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I am usually out in the summer more, but I have turned into a partial hermit about ten years ago. I was working with the public before and was very social, it is nice to be a little hermit like now, but I get days I like to go out and BS with people yet. I retired from being an extrovert. I like being outside doing stuff, but there are still seven foot banks by the road, and five foot snowbanks around the driveway yet, and thirty inches of snow all over. It will be six weeks before I can start doing things at the house.

I do like going out grocery shopping at least once a week with the wife and go visit the daughter a couple of times a week too. Quit drinking many years ago, I do have a beer or mixed drink once in a blue moon, but no more than six drinks a year at most....the majority of which are hot totties.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I live in a small town of 300, and only go to the 'big city' once a month for shopping- unless there's some nasty bug going around. Then I'll stay home for another month or two.
We do have a post office that's open for half a day, so I get out of the house five days a week.
My favorite hobby has become an obsession, so I'd rather stay home than go anywhere.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ValentineWiggin
I was fondly reminiscing earlier about a time before children where these current world events wouldn’t have phased me at all. I spent most of my time alone, worked from home and didn’t require much to get by. I rarely went anywhere or shopped, just naturally a home body. Lucky you!

I do worry about my immediate family, brother and his newborn and his wife and my older parents.

I'm oddly a bit contrived in that I'm fun...love hanging out with people in social settings and everyone seems to enjoy my company. Though there always seems to be cards at play that none of us can control.

I just always end up isolated, it doesn't bother me too much. So this whole scenario isn't anything out of the usual for me.

Lucky me though......

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   
As an ambiverted nobody who can live happily as a shut-in or a non-shut-in at any given time, adapting to the idea of house quarantine, lockdown, etc hasn't bothered me at all. I've always been highly adaptable and self sufficient and I always said if something like this happens, I wouldn't be too affected.
Ironically, this is the one year where I actually had plans to shake things up, and of course this happened. Guess it's time for plan B--stay in and relax. No complaints from me.

I have no kids, work is a relatively non-social environment and I make supplemental income from home. I'm also fairly rural.

I'm stocking up on freezer food, peanut butter, canned food, etc. I'm not a big eater so having to ration my food doesn't bother me.

Also getting a few bottles of wine, some beer, and plenty of pet food/litter/misc supplies. I'm also only doing this out of fear of the reactions more than the virus (closed stores, out of stock, etc).

Life isn't about survival of the fittest, it's about survival of the most fitting. Meaning those who can adapt survive best.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I am usually out in the summer more, but I have turned into a partial hermit about ten years ago. I was working with the public before and was very social, it is nice to be a little hermit like now, but I get days I like to go out and BS with people yet. I retired from being an extrovert. I like being outside doing stuff, but there are still seven foot banks by the road, and five foot snowbanks around the driveway yet, and thirty inches of snow all over. It will be six weeks before I can start doing things at the house.

I do like going out grocery shopping at least once a week with the wife and go visit the daughter a couple of times a week too. Quit drinking many years ago, I do have a beer or mixed drink once in a blue moon, but no more than six drinks a year at most....the majority of which are hot totties.

That's a good point I failed to mention.

My problem or perspective has ALOT to do with winter. I'm in one of the worst states when it comes to seasonal isolation(might surprise most which state it is).

We have # winters, I'm pretty much "dead" for 5 months of the year. In the past I'd sleep, work, drink away the bitter cold nonsense like a hermit. So this whole thing is just another "winter" to me, at most. Granted I've been out of work for the past 4 months(semi retired, at the ripe age of mid 30). So this whole thing hit at a time for me when the whole concept of locking yourself away for a month couldn't have been more ironic.

I love the summer though, love being outside, even if it's just wandering around the yard. Love getting out and riding bike, going to BBQ's, shooting with friends, going to breweries, fairs, etc. It's so bipolar. I need to move to texas or something so I can be "alive" year round.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZapBrannigan3030
I've seen a lot of people discussing the changes they've made due to this outbreak, but I have to wonder how it is affecting those lost voices like myself......the shut-ins. Or is it an impact at all.

I'd find it hard to believe on such a forum that there isn't a large population of people that already were living like there was always a global pandemic sweeping the globe.

Then again, maybe it's just another example of how much effect this thing actually has when people regularly confined for 4 to 6 days at a time are altering their routine.

As for the effect to me(i'm fairly rural and anti social). I've tried to space out my grocery trips from 1 week to 2 weeks(about 2 months ago I overbought and stocked up, so now I'm doing 2 weeks for "standard" stuff).

I've gone from buying a bottle or two of whisky to buying a few bottles of scotch and a few 1.75's of usual stock of kentucky brown water(for reserves).

Thankfully I've always bought my cigars in bulk and they are delivered through the mail(though maybe now I should start wiping the box down with alcohol when I get it).

I guess after typing it out, it's surprising how it's even effecting someone like me that has zero exposure to begin with.

But I'm doing these things not out of fear of the actual virus, but of peoples reactions. I'm firmly in that boat. I get out every 3 or 4 days, but i'm well stocked if I have to sit by for 3 or 4 weeks. The worst part is there isn't crap worth watching these days on all the streaming platforms.

You could binge watch the Andromeda Strain and alternate with Planet of the Apes and the Omega Man.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

You could binge watch the Andromeda Strain and alternate with Planet of the Apes and the Omega Man.

I'm not trying to be that on the nose with things.

I'm actually going through modern westerns the past few months. Longmire(great), Justified(love timothy) and I'm know mostly through season one of Hell on Wheels. I guess they are applicable, rural survival life...etc. Also just some good drama.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   
"And the shutins shall inherit the earth..."

But probably never know it because they don't go outside to see everyone else is gone.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   
What general area do you live in?
ATS is a surprisingly large community.

If you’re anywhere in my general area....
I’d be willing to do some shopping or whatever for you.

My guess is others would, too.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oaktree
What general area do you live in?
ATS is a surprisingly large community.

If you’re anywhere in my general area....
I’d be willing to do some shopping or whatever for you.

My guess is others would, too.

That's a nice offer, I'm sure you recognized my description of horrible winter conditions being a neighbor to the east. But I'll still wander out for a few supplies every now and then. I'm not that isolated. Unless your attempt was just a ploy to expose the possible location of my cache.....

In the end, I'd the type of person that will end up giving most everything I have away to neighboring families, because I'm kind of a idiot like that.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Unless your attempt was just a ploy to expose the possible location of my cache.....

Don’t worry, not interested in your cache

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oaktree

Unless your attempt was just a ploy to expose the possible location of my cache.....

Don’t worry, not interested in your cache

You could have atleast pretended for alittle bit.

Now I feel sad...

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Hi, ZapBrannigan3030,

I think I lean more towards a shut-in (some of which are for health reasons), but I do get out for shopping from time to time; internet shopping has helped me a lot. The current outbreak hasn't affected my lifestyle much. I like to go in the garden and soak up sun, take photos of animals, insects, flowers, etc.

As for streams (and videos) to watch, I've recently started watching Twitch Sings and I think it's neato.

In the end, I'd the type of person that will end up giving most everything I have away to neighboring families, because I'm kind of a idiot like that.

I think that's thoughtful that you'd help others
Sorry if I did that quote wrong, as I forget how to do that :/

Thank you for reading

edit on 2020 3 13 by oldme because: rewording

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I never thought of myself as a hermit but after reading about everyone else I guess I kinda qualify as well. I go grocery shopping about once a month, it just seems easier that way to get everything all at once. While Im in town I stop at the pharmacy and tobacco store for my dad. Honestly I dont miss the malls or the movies or even going out to dinner any more. I talk to enough people on face book daily that I dont crave interaction face to face interaction with people any more, at least not now since the invention of video calling. Shoot my dad lives 80 feet away from me and I video call him to ask him what he wants for lunch and again what he would like for supper. It sounds super lazy of me but after having so many surgeries every step is on the painful side now. Im also glad that he and I dont share a house so if i get become ill I wont be taking the virus to his house and i can isolate myself at home.

top topics

join