It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of the old gang (15 plus years ago) are still here?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Hello everyone! I have missed you guys!! I took a sabbatical for years, maybe a decade. But I am back. Just wondering how many of our original old school members are still here? I know SO has to still be here. Who else?

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Not many of them, and there are doubts by some that some of the names you may be familiar with aren't actually the original users.

Going through posting history it's hard to find anyone with a posting history older than 2012ish.

I think a lot of them have gone back to the shadows to lurk due to the current political atmosphere. Most, if not all of the anarchists got chased off. A lot of the left leaning members quit posting.

You'll see that there aren't that many people posting far out conspiracies anymore, because people are a lot more critical of the evidence, or lack thereof. Same reason for the lack of paranormal and cryptozoological stuff.

There's a heavy emphasis on talk of the day matters. Whatever you hear in the media will be what's being talked about on ATS, until the next talking point is brought up.

A lot of people's patience or tempers are short now, so a lot of times you'll see ad hominem attacks and trollish behavior.

But yeah, let's see if any of the OG posters are still around.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I'm here. I signed up in 2011 but have been reading the boards since the early 2000's. I don't tend to post much. This place frustrates me now due to the politics but some of the information that is hidden in the depths of these boards is priceless. There is still interesting stuff being posted, it just gets drowned out by partisan bs. I'm waiting things out and hoping that the site can return to its roots once the current US political climate shifts.
edit on 6-3-2020 by harold223 because: typos

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 01:13 AM
link   
My first appearance was about 13 years ago. No idea what my name was then. But my avatar is kinda the same.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 01:22 AM
link   
using the members list :

list

using " join date "

reveals how few " old members " have logged on in 2020

but to state the blisteringly obvious - it is 18 years later - people and thier lives develope

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
Not many of them, and there are doubts by some that some of the names you may be familiar with aren't actually the original users.

Going through posting history it's hard to find anyone with a posting history older than 2012ish.

I think a lot of them have gone back to the shadows to lurk due to the current political atmosphere. Most, if not all of the anarchists got chased off. A lot of the left leaning members quit posting.

You'll see that there aren't that many people posting far out conspiracies anymore, because people are a lot more critical of the evidence, or lack thereof. Same reason for the lack of paranormal and cryptozoological stuff.

There's a heavy emphasis on talk of the day matters. Whatever you hear in the media will be what's being talked about on ATS, until the next talking point is brought up.

A lot of people's patience or tempers are short now, so a lot of times you'll see ad hominem attacks and trollish behavior.

But yeah, let's see if any of the OG posters are still around.

There are some. I'm not sure if being an old timer is a badge of honor. Few seem to have any persistence these days.

Once, things were far more high brow and considered. These days, if you say something that someone can't handle, they immediately call you a liar and a fool.

Usually it is because they can't debate.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

This is a good analysis.

I'm still here, drinking beers.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1 Dude how can you put that down and make any kind of statement if you just joined a few minutes ago,this is why it has gone down the crapper,opinions other then facts,and it's become a mirror of Facebook

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

Dude, maybe since I've been lurking on this site since practically the beginning.

I stated my observation, and yet despite me having no ill will towards you your enmity towards me supports my statement.

It's almost as if you were anticipating an argument and found it in my opinion.

Yes, my statement is an opinion. You took it upon yourself to frame it in a way to give you something to lash out about.

How about we don't derail the OP's thread into an argument? I'm sure they wouldn't like that, and I don't find it worthwhile to indulge you in a petty argument.

I'd suggest you find some peace in your world, because getting angry over what I said is asinine.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Been here a long time LOL and lurked a long time before I joined, while I post frequently in current events and political stuff, I read and follow a variety of topics ATS still has a nice content if ya search for it.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: K_OS

Hey! I remember you!!! At least, I remember your moniker... It always made me think of "KAOS" from Get Smart.

I signed up in '08, but used to post anonymously before that, but not too much. I felt pretty stupid compared to others back then so I didn't post much. I devoured more than I contributed. Real life got in the way for a while at some point and I didn't post at all. But I eventually got back to ATS.

It ain't what it used to be. But it is what we make of it, eh?

Good to see you back!

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 05:08 AM
link   

I joined back in 07 but like many lurked for a while before that.

A lot of the old members aren't here any more, and they are a great loss.
Without dropping any names there were so many great members when I first came here and every day there were numerous interesting and challenging threads on all sorts of topics.

Politics and the American obsession with the left/right divide seems to have taken over the site but there are still some great threads and excellent members, both old and new.

Don't see much of the Three Amigos any more and that too is a great loss.

But I have to say I have encountered some wonderful people through ATS - sadly lost two people who I considered genuine friends - and there are still people around whose opinions I respect enormously and would love to meet up with in real life and share a few jars and have a bit of craic with.

ATS is still by far the best site of its type around and I for one can honestly say I'd miss it enormously if it was no longer here.

edit on 6/3/20 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 05:37 AM
link   

I never imagined I'd find such a reliable ANCHOR for these stormy seas.

Thanks peeps, luv ya even if ya hate.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I agree. It's like a giant dysfunctional family. So a lot like real life, but virtual.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: K_OS
Hello everyone! I have missed you guys!! I took a sabbatical for years, maybe a decade. But I am back. Just wondering how many of our original old school members are still here? I know SO has to still be here. Who else?

I lurked forever before I joined....got suspended quite a few times but I think I have been around for 12-14 years

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Lurked for a couple years,joined in '08 and I'm still around, just don't bother commenting much anymore. I mean, what's the point ? It's mostly politics around here now and one side is not going to listen to the other, everyone has made up their minds and besides....I've got better things to do than sit around trading jabs with people all day long.
ATS used to be a great source of information on UFOs, the supernatural, etc... Now it's just …..predictable.
Same sh** different day.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Lysergic is still here and he'd love for you to irritate him.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

My thoughts exactly

I stopped posting because real life took over and i am simply too busy to be on the forums. That, and a lack of interest from the science community here. I am not in the least interested in politics, so that precludes about 80% of the threads

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoolSample
My first appearance was about 13 years ago. No idea what my name was then. But my avatar is kinda the same.

I remember you.

Welcome back.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   
My original account was from 2007.
However, I had no idea what the password was so I had to make a new account in 2013.
I do recognize your name though.
Welcome back

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join