It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSINESS: Black Newspapers push Kohl's boycott over lack of Advertising

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
African-American-owned newspapers nationwide will try to get Kohl's Department Stores to include minority media in their advertising budgets. According to Kimber-Kimber & Associates, a Fresno, Calif., based Black Ad Agency that solicits national advertisers for many in the black press, the company spends over a half million dollars with majority-owned newspapers and next to nothing with the black papers. Late Last year,, several black-owned weekly newspapers, ran full-page ads urging black consumers to boycott; Kohl's as part of a nationwide effort organized by Kimber. At that time, Kimber claimed the campaign was successful when Kohl's reported lower profits; however, that no longer appears to be the case.

www.jsonline.com
After getting Home Depot to advertise in African-American newspapers, and pressuring Office Depot and T-Mobile Wireless to do likewise, black newspapers have a new target: Kohl's Department Stores.

Kohl's is the target of a boycott orchestrated by Kimber, Kimber & Associates, a Fresno, Calif., advocacy-advertising agency that represents 250 black-owned newspapers across the country.

The purported offense: Kohl's practice of excluding black newspapers from its print media buys. The Menomonee Falls-based retail chain channels its print advertising buys mostly to mainstream media that enable it to reach the largest audiences.

A group of black publishers now calls this practice discriminatory and demands that Kohl's do like other companies that have been targeted and cough up millions of dollars in print ad buys.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When I first read this story yesterday I thought that Kohl’s was based only in Wisconsin, however, a search of Kohl’s website shows they are all over the US, so I figured it might be an interesting read for others. I am always interested in seeing what others have to say on issues like this. The only reason they are doing this is to extort advertising dollars by playing the race card and that I feel is wrong.

Business have a limited amount of advertising dollars, they have to decide where they will get the best impact for their money. They decide to advertise in the large market papers where they have the greatest reach. This is the choice they have made for their company, I am sure there are many advertisers in the black owned papers that do not advertise in the “white” mainstream press outlets.

I hope Kohl’s does not knuckle under to these people, if they cannot compete honestly, they should not get away with the thug tactics used by the likes of Jessie Jackson. Jackson has spent the last 20 years doing this same sort of thing.

Go read the full article, it’s really good.

[edit on 3/10/2005 by shots]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
While I agree that orginizations and companies should not discriminate against a person or body of persons due to anything related to color, religion, etc.. But also I don't believe that these orginizations should have to spend the same money in places where they will see no benefit to their bottom line.

If I own a company and I advertise in the local paper, should I be required by law to also take out an add in the local minority political paper, how about a paper that is only produced in Spanish/Korean/etc. How many places should I be forced to advertise in?

No. Just because a person is black or white doesn't mean they are discriminated against getting the local paper. That should be suffician enough.

Phae

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phaethor

If I own a company and I advertise in the local paper, should I be required by law to also take out an add in the local minority political paper, how about a paper that is only produced in Spanish/Korean/etc. How many places should I be forced to advertise in?

Phae

I would say none. No one and I do mean no one has a right to tell you when, where or how you should advertise.

I agree, why should one be forced to advertise in some small local Weekly newspaer that only reaches perhaps 10,000 when you can buy another add for the same price that reaches 700,000 or even a million for that matter? This type of tactic makes no sense to me at all.

join