It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid 19 Percentages Of Patients With Smoking History Are Very Low

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Now this is interesting and possibly counter-intuitive. It appears active smokers are far less likely to acquire the coronavirus. I was going to quit again, maybe I shall wait a few weeks.

Anyone else see anything about this?

onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

Clinical characteristics of 140 patients:

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD, 1.4%) patients and current smokers (1.4%) were rare.

The relationship between smoking and coronavirus infection is not clear, and the exact underlying causes of the lower incidence of COVID-19 in current smokers are still unknown. Previous study demonstrated that CoV was not frequently detected by RT-PCR in the exacerbation of COPD, as compared to other respiratory viruses such as RV, EnV, RSV, and IfV, indicating that coronavirus plays a minor role in the acute exacerbation of COPD.23 Although our study found that COPD and smoking populations were less likely to be infected with SARS-CoV-2, but the outcome of SARS-CoV-2 infection in smokers may be more severe.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I found a second study with 1,099 patients.

www.medrxiv.org...

In this one, appears only 12.6 % of patients were current smokers and 1.9% were ex-smokers. Considering over 50% of the male population in China smokes, that is still lower than average.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Remember when Nixon wanted to prove that smoking caused lung cancer? and the tests came back that it in fact reduced it. Because it caused sputum to coat the lungs which was then coughed up. Those were in the days of atmospheric testing of Nukes and they knew lung cancer rates had to go up. So they had to have a scapegoat ready. I mean how would a virus fair coated in Nicotine , it might stuff up its little binding mechanisms faster than a rat up a drainpipe.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Wish we had some vaping studies.... I wonder if nicotine has an impact on the virus.

Targeting the “Cytokine Storm” for Therapeutic Benefit
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Nicotine is a nonselective agonist of the α7Ach receptor and is able to suppress the production of proinflammatory cytokines by mimicking the binding of acetylcholine. It has been demonstrated that nicotine can selectively reduce the inflammatory response in a number of infection scenarios, including Legionella pneumophila (54) and Chlamydia pneumoniae (55) infection; however, it is highly unlikely that nicotine will ever be used clinically due to its toxicity, addictive nature, and lack of specificity.

edit on 1-3-2020 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:18 AM
link   

You bet another conspiracy is that only the rich can afford to smoke now. The poor now lack its appetite suppressing qualities and are now doomed to waddle to Burgerland for another fix of fries.
You can see that if the political will of the time clashes with tested reality, the power brokers will win out because they have the power and the money. The war against nicotine was exactly the same as the war against THC it was known it shrunk cancer tumors back in 1975, but the DEA moved in fast to halt the test results getting out its been the same ever since.www.tokeofthetown.com...

edit on 1-3-2020 by anonentity because: adding

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:42 AM
link   
The pollution itself in China is like smoking cigarettes, so it`s like everyone smokes even if dont smoke

Air Pollution and Cigarette Equivalence

Wuhan look`s like 5 cigatettes/day area by that map ...

A day of Beijing air can be deadlier than 40 cigarettes

berkeleyearth.org air quality real time map

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I'm preventing the CoronaVirusFlu, in favor of Lung Cancer. Cool!

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 01:03 AM
link   

I've had dentists tell me smokers have less bacterial decay on their teeth, because the tobacco smoke hinders bacterial life in the mouth.

I do not want to say there are benefits to smoking or drinking, or any bad habit. But there are countless articles and personal anecdotes I have come across that do not support the official narrative.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

I've had dentists tell me smokers have less bacterial decay on their teeth, because the tobacco smoke hinders bacterial life in the mouth.

I do not want to say there are benefits to smoking or drinking, or any bad habit. But there are countless articles and personal anecdotes I have come across that do not support the official narrative.

What crap, you have tooth pulled, keep smoking and develop a dry socket then get back to me on your experience....

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Scubagravy already mentioned this on the mega thread, and he was laughed and scoffed at all the way to the door. It makes total sense.
Akin to when a robber breaks into your house, and if you live in a pig sty, the robber will probably leave thinking someone’s already robbed the joint 😉

All the smokers I know rarely get respitory issues From the flu until the big C

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

So what are you saying exactly, it sounds like you're arguing smoking is good for you...

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Hope not Fear is what I’m suggesting!

Of course smoking is not good for you, but the irony, you don’t see it?

Anyways, back to my Sharks vs Manly trial game.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Never had a tooth pulled.
Sounds like you had some bad luck.
Had wisdom teeth out. No issue with dry socket.
Got back to you with my experience.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Medical science let's just ignore that in favour of youtube videos, okeydokey.

Manly sucks...

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

Never had a tooth pulled.
Sounds like you had some bad luck.
Had wisdom teeth out. No issue with dry socket.
Got back to you with my experience.

Well when you get a little older and you experience it for yourself smoke more, in fact the more you smoke the less it hurts...

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Smoking has a slow and accumulative effect on the body over years. One reason why smokers have a low incidence of respiratory issues is because of the lower level of oxygen in the blood stream. Viruses need a good healthy supply of oxygen to replicate, as do all the cells in the body. The lungs of a long-term smoker are the not the healthiest of environments for a virus to take hold, because of all the crap built up in the lungs over the years.

Smokers, as well as ex-smokers do still get the odd and occasional cold, but getting the flu is a rare occurrence. I smoke hand-rolling tobacco, and it's been years since I have had a cold, and even longer since being laid low with the flu. If it is not the lower level of oxygen in the blood stream, then perhaps it may be due to the other chemicals taken in and being present in the lungs that hold the virus off?

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Medical science let's just ignore that in favour of youtube videos, okeydokey.

Manly sucks...

I was just stating my observations with people around me, I never mention YouTube. I do believe in medical science, and I believe medical science to still be in its infancy.

Smoking is bad kids. Don’t start!

Manly sure do suck, Sharks all the way 👍

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Cool, because I am a literal chimney
And coronovirus has infected someone 10 miles away from here, now. QUICK - ROLL A CIGGY!!11

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 02:28 AM
link   

I was sure you were a manly supporter..

In have all sorts of smoking related illnesses, kinda makes it personal.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 02:32 AM
link   
First I thought this was an old thread,
then I realized I read it before back in 2003 with Sars.... should be on ATS somewhere. Think it had something to do with the cytokine storm that didn't occur, or couldn't occur in smoker lungs

As a long time smoker I can only confirm that I didn't have a flu in 15 years. Or maybe I had the flu virus, but it never makes me sick.
edit on 1-3-2020 by KindraLaBelle because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join