It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: FBI Report: We Can't Find Al Qaeda Sleeper Cells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The FBI has issued a secret report in which in confirms that Al Qaeda is still interested in conducting attacks within the United States. However, its ability to do so is unknown at this time. It further stressed that thier ability to carry out such operations is dependent on thier ability to infiltrate operatives into the country. Its assessment of the situation indicated that it has not been able to identify any sleeper cells within the United States.

www.foxnews.com
WASHINGTON — The FBI has issued a new secret report that concludes while there is no doubt Al Qaeda wants to attack the United States, its ability to do so remains unknown, FOX News has confirmed.

"Al-Qa'ida leadership's intention to attack the United States is not in question," the report reads. "However, their capability to do so is unclear, particularly in regard to 'spectacular' operations. We believe al-Qa'ida's capability to launch attacks within the United States is dependent on its ability to infiltrate and maintain operatives in the United States."

The assessment also concludes that it knows of no sleeper cells or agents of Usama bin Laden in the United States.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Sleeper cells are called that for a reason and if operation security is preserved, they are by nature hard to identify. No doubt Al Qaeda want to hit the U.S. again and forgive my skepticism, given what I have seen for DHS's efforts at securing airports, I'm wondering what has stopped then. I can only conclude that the world wide effort targeting them plus the disruptions in Afghanistan and thier operations in Iraq have severely limited thier options at this time.

[edit on 3/10/05 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
hmmmm, so much for the secrecy...

And why would Foxnews help break government secrecy, they are not Indymedia, what are they getting at?

- Nominate the FBI for Good HouseCleaning Award?
- or Need more money and more patriot acts to be able to investigate more
thoroughly and get those sleepercells that currently be able to remain out of sight ?
- ???

Would be interesting to watch if there be some official responsive action because of this report.

[edit on 10-3-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
This news isn't a good sign. For the FBI to admit that they know there's a problem, and they know what the problem is, but dad-gummit, that can't do anything about it.... not good.

Part of me says the FBI is not nearly as effective as it needs to be, and part of me says their prepping us. They know something bad is likely to happen soon. They don't have the specifics, but the hand writting is on the wall, and they can't stop it.

These types of stories keep coming up, and I think it's a CYA manuver. Next time the congress investigates how the heck we got hit, the FBI can throw up their hands and say, "we told the people what we knew, we just didn't know enough".

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
These types of stories keep coming up, and I think it's a CYA manuver. Next time the congress investigates how the heck we got hit, the FBI can throw up their hands and say, "we told the people what we knew, we just didn't know enough".

I agree with you there phreak, but I have to wonder if you can't find any sleeper cells, isn't it possible that they don't really exist. From what I know of American Muslims, they are simply that American muslims and are not willing to sacrifice their comfortable American lifestyle for ideals they don't believe in or only believe in on paper. Granted we will have a few fundamentalists living here, but whether or not they are "sleeping" till the next big attack doesn't sit well me since it has been so long since an attack on American soil.

IMO if there were sleeper cells here, at least one of them would have acted by now.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I agree with you there phreak, but I have to wonder if you can't find any sleeper cells, isn't it possible that they don't really exist. From what I know of American Muslims, they are simply that American muslims and are not willing to sacrifice their comfortable American lifestyle for ideals they don't believe in or only believe in on paper. Granted we will have a few fundamentalists living here, but whether or not they are "sleeping" till the next big attack doesn't sit well me since it has been so long since an attack on American soil.

IMO if there were sleeper cells here, at least one of them would have acted by now.

Good and valid points ww. I have no familiarity with American muslims v. fundementalists, so I can not comment on that. My only point is the FBI is failing, they know their failing, and don't appear to be trying to correct the problem, simply cover their butts.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

Remember though they may not have as of yet. There was unprecidented security after 911 and maybe they got a lay low for a few years. They have to be patient and would not use them recklessly.

top topics

join