It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Individual Wealth Cap

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The way I see it is this: Let's say a person has, for example, $5,250,000. That basically equals a NET salary of $75,000 per year for 70 years - so, basically, if a person has $5,250,000, they'll have the ability to live a very comfortable life.
You don't need more than $5 million dollars. Nobody does. So, if you have everything you need in life and more, what more is there? Beyond that you're simply being greedy and materialistic.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: idiotseverywhere

In what decade, or more to the point, in what reality has the global economy ever failed or became broken based on how much an individual or family has amassed in their fortune ? I’ll wait for you to scurry up an example.

People have become so materialistic in the last 20 years, it’s sad. People line up in advance of a new IPhone release, phones which are a luxury at a luxury price, fight over tennis shoes, have 4 cars parked in front of the 8500 square foot suburban home with a pool in back. Google glasses...remember...yesterday’s must have item...currently residing in the where are they now drawer.

I feel blessed, and have been, but have never drawn a yearly salary in excess of 80 grand, which in my neck of the woods one could live very large and have a large nest egg. I have everything I need, a majority of what I want, and a few items I shouldn’t have. I could care less what someone else has, responsibilities for me are enough, no need to concern myself with what the neighbors are parking in their driveway, my 10 year old buggy still cruises point a to b.

The global economic picture is more complex than today’s “universal income” and living wage primal screams. What some cannot comprehend is that it’s never enough. Take a billion from a billionaire and you simply made another future billionaire.

And, is everyone going to play the game ? Is Putin going to throw his into the piggy bank, or countries like China or North Korea going to build sandcastles too ? I doubt it, thus you have created a new economy, one that you can no longer compete in because their is a new “family” dynasty and they don’t follow the same rules and you now work for them.

If you set limits on something you have set limits on everything anew. The day is coming when there will be a real need for Universal income as automation sets in, BK and Mac D’s can afford to pay 15 an hour because we pay 12 for a burger and 18 for a drink and fries. Cost including taxes are passed along to customers who search in vain for someone to pass it onto.

Buyer Beware and be careful what you ask for as it may be served up soon, only to find you can’t afford it.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Hi Seagull.
Not really 'money'. It's not about 'money'. Never mentioned 'money'.
Let them keep their damned 'money', if that is what they love and crave.
Am not talking about individuals, but more about our societies, and humanity in general.

Can we not aim to walk a path, beyond the underlying drivers of what some perceive as 'greed', and some level of equality for all ?

Are we all so cold, as to not be bothered by our fellow human's sufferings ?
Tent cities of woman and children refugees ?
Thousands of young couples, being shattered over arguments, because they can't pay the rent ?
Folks begging for food, while dictators hoard supplies for their own interests ?

Let us rise-above our petty squabbles, of 'mine-mine-mine' !
Are we no wiser than penguins stealing pebbles from each other's nests ?

Who decides ?
Why can't we get to the point, where we all decide ?
And no: that doesn't mean government.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: idiotseverywhere
a reply to: schuyler

well, you were talking about what would be realistic per person per year, and I commented I cannot come close to 8 million, but our system currently has things like this happening to insane amounts of people, many even just born into these high wealth stages ruining their own chance at accommodating reasonable amounts of wealth instead of insane amounts. if the cap is a billion, there is sort of a mutual goal among people.

The reality is it doesn't matter if they can live off the interest and still have a ton of money.

Someone making $50k/yr thinks the guy making $250k/yr shouldn't need anymore money.

All of it is irrelevant. The bottom line is it isn't your money.

You seem to be concerned with people being rich, but at the same time you also have to give credit that they also created many times their wealth in jobs / benefits to society.

How many people has Bill Gates employed over the years at Microsoft? Probably millions. He has made tens of thousands of millionaires if not more. Think of all the jobs both directly and indirectly. The fact you are even able to communicate online is in large part made possible by him.

Amazon is building their largest distribution facility not far from me. Thousands of workers are employed as a result not counting the thousands that will have a job at the facility and delivering goods.

Jeff Bezos just pledged $10 billion to help climate change. I guarantee that $10 billion he puts up will be far more useful than anything the government does without the waste and inefficiency.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

a healthy dose of logic and reason, but sometimes the world is just unpredictable.

the corona virus could become a super flu, and some dude could end up selling 8 billion cures for 600 trillion dollars.
the world could have a water shortage, and some single company could end up controlling all the drinkable water
there could be a power crisis, like Enron, etc etc etc.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: DBCowboy

All too much of this "redistribution" nonsense is sheer unadulterated jealousy. They don't have it, therefore, no one should.

It's their money, no one should have any say in how they spend it, or don't.

It's a class envy, a class warfare that we're seeing much more of.

That it happens to coincide with Bernie running isn't much of a coincidence.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   

a healthy dose of logic and reason, but sometimes the world is just unpredictable.

the corona virus could become a super flu, and some dude could end up selling 8 billion cures for 600 trillion dollars.
the world could have a water shortage, and some single company could end up controlling all the drinkable water

You do understand that there are laws against monopolies on these things, right?

Although I'm not entirely sure that the laws are enforced equally.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   
lol
unfair
mkay

all those participation trophies ruined you

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: toolgal462

our insanely complicated laws aren't complicated enough, the economics sector completely clears all these laws and even drafts them, it's not writing on the wall. (the bankers and the rich know they can break the rules, because they wrote the rules, thus they are more like guidelines to the rich)
edit on 19-2-2020 by idiotseverywhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   

There are already laws and regulations aimed at preventing just the scenarios you are describing.

Why do you feel the need to curb someone else's rights on a hypothetical situation that we have already put steps in place to prevent?

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   

our insanely complicated laws aren't complicated enough, the economics sector completely clears all these laws and even drafts them, it's not writing on the wall. (the bankers and the rich know they can break the rules, because they wrote the rules, thus they are more like guidelines to the rich)

This doesn't make any sense

link   
a reply to: trollz

According to you, anyway.

Many do not agree, and it is their money.

You choose to limit yourself to 75,000 dollars a year? That's fine. That's a comfortable life. Maybe someone else needs a bit more out of life? That'll take a bit more, perhaps.

It really is none of our business.

link   
a reply to: BomSquad

because the laws enforcers become limp dicks when put to the test according to history

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: idiotseverywhere

So how do you think you are going to enforce a wealth cap? Or whatever it is that you want to do to limit someone elses earnings....

More insanely complicated laws that will have loopholes the wealthy will utilize?

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   
wow
push bernies talking points much?
www.commondreams.org...

"I don't think that billionaires should exist," Sanders, a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate, told the New York Times in an interview. "This proposal does not eliminate billionaires, but it eliminates a lot of the wealth that billionaires have, and I think that's exactly what we should be doing."

he sold out last time and got a lakehouse
he will sell out this time too, as if mighty mite mike hasnt already paid him off....

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I don't know, but it doesn't change the fact anyone that starts a successful monopoly is insanely rich before it's over even when it's inevitable it will be absorbed.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

If I had to be a conspiracy theorist, the OP is a Bernie Bro pushing the message on CT sites, social media, what-have-you to generate talk and more acceptance of Bernies authoritarian plans.

But that's only if I was a Conspiracy Theorist.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   
op sure has that new car smell......
you got a spare tin foil hat?

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   

haha

whats a ct site?

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I don't know, but it doesn't change the fact anyone that starts a successful monopoly is insanely rich before it's over even when it's inevitable it will be absorbed.

We would all be far better served by worrying about earning our own wealth and less about envying other people's wealth.

As you should be able to see, there is no viable way that limiting another persons wealth can help you or anyone else.

Envy is a big time waster. Go out an make your own billion.

If you aren't interested in making a billion then STFU.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join