It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution in progress: World’s largest cave fish discovered in India

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   
World's Largest Cave Fish Discovered in India

The fish, described recently in the journal Cave and Karst Science, may still be in the process of evolving to be a separate new species, says Harries, a study co-author—and could present scientists with a unique opportunity to understand this evolutionary process.

The finding raises many questions, such as how the fish maintain their body size, what they feed on, and how they’ve adapted to live in these caves, which are extremely extensive and deep, many of which haven’t yet been explored. Like most other troglobites, the creature is basically blind and eyeless, though it apparently has some ability to sense light....more at source

One of the big creationist arguments is that we never find intermediary forms or organisms in the middle of evolving. Here's a nice example of an organism adapting to a cave environment and losing its eyesight over time.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

Snippet “may still be in the process of evolving to be a separate new species”

Bit early to confirm isn’t it?
Adaptation is evolution, no argument but

“Unique opportunity”
Another interesting statement, a precedence? How and why, thought evolution was proven, this article indicates evolution has a long journey ahead, nothing much more

Irrespective, evolution is not a game changer for christianity

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Hmmmm.....

That depends on the individual Christian you ask doesn't it?

Many are accepting of the idea of evolution, however many are not.

You have "young earth" proponents, "bible is the unerring direct word of god" proponents, etc.

Hell, I've even heard peaple seriously argue that god put dinosaur bones in the ground as a test of faith.

I think you are painting with very broad strokes.
edit on 2122020 by Mach2 because: Sp

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Only homosapiens jumped the gun on evolution in a fascinating, unbelievable way. All other species of animal, including the primates we came from, remain more or less stagnant.

It's because of a gene mutation or something like that. Environmental conditions. I don't remember the details, you'd have to read about it. We're a freak anomaly that has never happened before us in hundreds of millions of years and will never happen after us. It won't happen to us again either.
edit on 12-2-2020 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel
Only homosapiens jumped the gun on evolution in a fascinating, unbelievable way. All other species of animal, including the primates we came from, remain more or less stagnant.

It's because of a gene mutation or something like that. Environmental conditions. I don't remember the details, you'd have to read about it. We're a freak anomaly that has never happened before us in hundreds of millions of years and will never happen after us. It won't happen to us again either.

That isn't really accurate. You had Homo floresiensis, Homo heidelbergensis, Neanderthal, Homo Egaster, Homo Habilis, Homo naledi, to name a few.

We do not know 100% how "intelligent" these different lineages were, but Homo Sapiens Sapiens weren't the only species that evolved a concept of conscious being.

We just happen to be the only one still around.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

Hell, I've even heard peaple seriously argue that god put dinosaur bones in the ground as a test of faith.

That was Bill Hicks and it was a joke...

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: Mach2

That was Bill Hicks and it was a joke...

If by "joke" you mean ridiculous premise, no arguement here. Nevertheless, there are many Christians who totally reject evolution as a mechanism. That was really my point.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Very cool!

Looks like a catfish. Why am I not surprised?

S&F

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   

please read the primary souce - its free :

source

fit - the download PDF button to get the full article

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   

How do you suppose this is evolution? It's a cave fish, except bigger. This fish isn't even twice as big as the 2nd largest cave fish. That's essentially negligible considering that a Bull Mastiff can be over 100x bigger than a Chihuahua - both of which are dogs. Despite extensive selective breeding, they will never become anything besides a dog.

Nor will this cave fish ever become something besides a cave fish.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: cooperton

How do you suppose this is evolution? It's a cave fish, except bigger. This fish isn't even twice as big as the 2nd largest cave fish. That's essentially negligible considering that a Bull Mastiff can be over 100x bigger than a Chihuahua - both of which are dogs. Despite extensive selective breeding, they will never become anything besides a dog.

Exactly!

Very good points!

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

originally posted by: cooperton

Exactly!

Very good points!

LOL!

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

please read the primary souce - its free :

source

fit - the download PDF button to get the full article

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Snippet “may still be in the process of evolving to be a separate new species”

Bit early to confirm isn’t it?
Adaptation is evolution, no argument but

“Unique opportunity”
Another interesting statement, a precedence? How and why, thought evolution was proven, this article indicates evolution has a long journey ahead, nothing much more

This has nothing to do with Christianity or changing it. It's just about learning more about how creatures evolve to different environments over time. There is nothing to confirm. The fish was in the process of losing its eyesight.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Calm down Barcs, just calm down.
Your headline is a little hyperbolic

It is not really as big and as bad as you think for others

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Like most other troglobites it says.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Calm down Barcs, just calm down.
Your headline is a little hyperbolic

It is not really as big and as bad as you think for others

Evolution is documented fact which has never been refuted and has tons of supporting evidence. I don't need hyperbole LMFAO! I have research, you have nothing. That's where the discussion ends.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSkunk

Like most other troglobites it says.

And?

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Infinite Universe = Infinite possibility's .
No odds Of Life evolving can not be beat . Chances of life evolving may be 1 in 1 gillion thing is there are Hunders of thousands Of Gillions of stars .

So its really not a question of If a God craete life but of Do you need a God to create life .
Getting closer every day to finding life NOT from earth even a Bactria so what will your argument be once its confirmed earth is not so special after all and Life is any ware even remotely possible .
Another way Of stating it is a Infinite number of money at a Infinite number of word proposers wrote existence into being .

No chance is to small In this universe .
Does this meen there may not be a God no it just means you dont need a God . Funny thing is God him self gave us that choice .
Do it Your self then in a fit of rage Do you people evr read that book you love so much ?

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I know that simple knowledge is not "science". Likewise, therefore, "just" simple "English" is not "proof".
But using words like, "May" and "could"? Aren't really "words" of debunking an answer either.
"Evolution in progress"? Really?.. How so? It was "just discovered"!
I'm not trying to confuse you with logic.
I wouldn't want to confound your "religious" beliefs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join