It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

fish eggs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Double edged sword really. A few are OK, but a seething mass of them are too many. But a few can eat dead plant matter and carry out food scavenging detail.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: CharlesT
No but You can catch what you want to keep and pour the rest out.

Quit being so practical.

How is that practical? Have you ever had an aquarium?
I grew up with an aquarium. I also have one right now in the dining room, although it only has one eight inch long goldfish and another five inch long black google eyed goldfish in it along with one of those crabby flat fish that chases the goldfish around if they come too close to it.

I think our fish are well fed, our granddaughter gave us the fish when she moved out, they were tiny three years ago. Had to actually go to the twenty gallon tank because they were too big for the ten gallon tank, but that just made them grow more.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Not a good idea honestly.

Depending on where the OP lives, they could survive and breed there. Many fishermen just dump their leftover bait out of the bait bucket, so you could end up introducing an invasive species.

Better to sell them as feeders or simply give them a friend who needs them as feeders for another aquarium fish.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358
Not a good idea to eat fish eggs without finding out if they are toxic to humans
A lot of people catch gar but their eggs are toxic

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Nyiah

NOOOOOO!!

If you want your fish to live, you won't do this. By bleaching the tank, you will be destroying the cycle. There are valuable and needed bacteria on every single surface of the tank. Bleaching will kill them and cause you go through new tank syndrome all over again.

Unless you have another tank all the fish can go into for at least a month or two while you recycle the tank you just nuked with bleach, don't go there and then immediately put the fish right back in. You will completely disrupt the cycle causing ammonia and then nitrite and nitrate spikes. All three of these poison and can and will kill fish and are the biggest reasons people get put off the aquarium hobby.

You definitely do not want to rely on it as a regular thing, but, and I stress the BUT here -- with colonized filter media set aside, bacteria tabs AND reserved water from the tank, you can reset the emergency nuked tank to relatively sufficient bacteria levels inside of a day. I HAD to do this, the Ramshorn egg boom was utterly out of control and we have no other tank for temporary housing during a nuking. It's called fish-in cycling. Nitrite and nitrate levels can be controlled easily enough with testing multiple times a day just like any other testing period, only more diligently for a while. The key to pulling off fish-in cycling is the bacteria -- never, ever rinse the media the bacteria live in, use whatever original water you can reserve, and use bacteria starters to CYA.

Plenty of articles & threads about how to do it right with fish-in, via many sites & aquarium forums. It's not the no-no it used to be thought of. Just requires doing the right steps the right way.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I missed the established media part, but even that can be risky with heavy load of fish from a previously established tank.

I'd try paring the population down by setting out food on plastic lids baited with food on the tank bottom and simply throwing out as many as you get on the lids and adding in a small posse of assassin snails to eat on the rest.

edit on 8-2-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Fools

You dip it down to the bottom, pour purex into it, wash it out, and refill it.

You do have a wet/ dry vacuum, don't you?
edit on 9-2-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   

The first question is what kind of fish do you have that is breeding? Most fish do lay eggs, but most common egg laying fish are egg scatterers and those eggs are very, very tiny, and every fish in the tank will regard them as a tasty, tasty snack. It's rare to actually get a surviving fry without loading the odds in favor of the fry.

There are another popular category called livebearers: mollies, platys, swordtails, and guppies. They don't ever lay eggs. All that is done internally, and then the mother spits out live young into the water column. If you tank has sufficient hiding spots, babies will survive and you very easily can get chaos like you describe. But no eggs. Your best bet to control the young is to either sacrifice them yourself, find a friend who has a fish that appreciates live food and would appreciate a ready source of healthy feeders or learn how to sex your adults and keep only males or only females.

The third category include fish that do practice some parental care, but again, you aren't going to see eggs all over the place. Those fish will lay contained clusters and one or both parents will take turns guarding the eggs and then the young. Mostly these will be cichlids, but you do also see parental care in plecostomus catfish although you aren't going to be accidentally breeding those unless maybe you have a pair of bristlenose plecos.

So I would suggest that perhaps the "eggs" aren't actually eggs. Maybe they are something else? If you have a gravel vac, do a good siphoning. You ought to be engaging in weekly 30 to 50% water changes anyhow. See if a gravel vacing doesn't get rid of your issues in a week or three with the eggs.

As for the babies, without more information on where they are really coming from, it's hard to say. Depending on what they are though, sometimes, you can work a trade with your LFS for a bit of credit. The babies will have to have some size on them, but most fish stores like locally grown healthy cichlid or pleco fry, for example. Live bearers are not quite as easy to offload.

They are mollies - so you are saying that just getting rid of them will do the trick?

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Id rent my axolotls.. theyll eat the eggs.. and the fish.. and the rocks...

I thought Mollies were live bearers.

Anyway, Zebra Dannos and long finned black skirt tetras will feast on eggs and probably wont eat your mollies at the same time. I was trying to think of others, but all that came to mind were larger predatory fish that would eat the Mollies.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 05:55 AM
link   

The first question is what kind of fish do you have that is breeding? Most fish do lay eggs, but most common egg laying fish are egg scatterers and those eggs are very, very tiny, and every fish in the tank will regard them as a tasty, tasty snack. It's rare to actually get a surviving fry without loading the odds in favor of the fry.

There are another popular category called livebearers: mollies, platys, swordtails, and guppies. They don't ever lay eggs. All that is done internally, and then the mother spits out live young into the water column. If you tank has sufficient hiding spots, babies will survive and you very easily can get chaos like you describe. But no eggs. Your best bet to control the young is to either sacrifice them yourself, find a friend who has a fish that appreciates live food and would appreciate a ready source of healthy feeders or learn how to sex your adults and keep only males or only females.

The third category include fish that do practice some parental care, but again, you aren't going to see eggs all over the place. Those fish will lay contained clusters and one or both parents will take turns guarding the eggs and then the young. Mostly these will be cichlids, but you do also see parental care in plecostomus catfish although you aren't going to be accidentally breeding those unless maybe you have a pair of bristlenose plecos.

So I would suggest that perhaps the "eggs" aren't actually eggs. Maybe they are something else? If you have a gravel vac, do a good siphoning. You ought to be engaging in weekly 30 to 50% water changes anyhow. See if a gravel vacing doesn't get rid of your issues in a week or three with the eggs.

As for the babies, without more information on where they are really coming from, it's hard to say. Depending on what they are though, sometimes, you can work a trade with your LFS for a bit of credit. The babies will have to have some size on them, but most fish stores like locally grown healthy cichlid or pleco fry, for example. Live bearers are not quite as easy to offload.

They are mollies - so you are saying that just getting rid of them will do the trick?

If you have Mollies only, you don’t have eggs, they’re live bearers. What is your PH, Nitate, Nitrite and Ammonia levels? It could be mold from over feeding, snails, eggs from other fish or.........

We need more info and a pic would be nice before you go randomly diving into a fix. You have ph with camera yes?

A vacuum clean and a 40%-50% water change would be a safe place to start. What are the eggs or spots attached to?

edit on 10-2-2020 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder

If you have Mollies only, you don’t have eggs, they’re live bearers. What is your PH, Nitate, Nitrite and Ammonia levels? It could be mold from over feeding, snails, eggs from other fish or.........

We need more info and a pic would be nice before you go randomly diving into a fix. You have ph with camera yes?

A vacuum clean and a 40%-50% water change would be a safe place to start. What are the eggs or spots attached to?

I may be just assuming they are eggs, or possibly eggs for the couple of other types of fish I have in the aquarium. They are tiny little yellow specks I can see on the drift wood at the bottom of the tank. I do clean it regularly and all is to spec (it's a two year old tank now). I am getting rid of the mollies at a local pet store and will see what happens.

Thnks!

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder

I may be just assuming they are eggs, or possibly eggs for the couple of other types of fish I have in the aquarium. They are tiny little yellow specks I can see on the drift wood at the bottom of the tank. I do clean it regularly and all is to spec (it's a two year old tank now). I am getting rid of the mollies at a local pet store and will see what happens.

Thnks!

You can keep the Mollies, getting rid of them will change nothing because they don’t lay eggs.

What other fish do you have? Are the spots or eggs perfectly round?

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Ok, so it's on the driftwood? That context really helps, because it can narrow it down to two things related to driftwood that I know of -- tannin leeching spots (is your tank water yellowing or browning kinda quickly between water changes?) or driftwood mold. I don't have driftwood in my tank, so I'm more than a little unfamiliar with how to remedy driftwood issues, but I do know that yellow spots on them can be giveaways for either of the issues I mentioned.
edit on 2/15/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join