It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HAM Radio Operators Conacting Space Station

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I didn't know this was possible. They can't talk long, roughly 10 minutes due to speed but still neat. This would be a great thing for grade school and high high schools to start a Ham program. The beginning of the movie CONTACT she was messing around with Ham radio as a child. It would have been cool if she contacted astronauts to progress the story of her childhood. Enjoy:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

S&F

Learned something today.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Ham radio can operate around the world since they can contact satellites
They could even monitor military frequencies
Don't know why the wouldn't monitor NASA also

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 11:58 PM
link   
My fathers been a HAM my entire life and I got my license although I let it expire (really should retest) but I remember as a kid thanks to dad I was able to talk to the space shuttle. It was really cool.

As far as talking around the world. Which is cool, but first contest I operated was a world wide contest. I called out the station call sign and a few seconds later I heard myself. I radio signal traveled around the planet and was picked back up by the antenna. It was kinda weird the first time it happened.

edit on 5-2-2020 by Somethingsamiss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
I didn't know this was possible. They can't talk long, roughly 10 minutes due to speed but still neat. This would be a great thing for grade school and high high schools to start a Ham program. The beginning of the movie CONTACT she was messing around with Ham radio as a child. It would have been cool if she contacted astronauts to progress the story of her childhood. Enjoy:
youtube.com:

(Embedding video to watch later. Quote to see how it is done. It is pretty easy)

S+F
That is cool!

"Hey honey? What did you do in school today?"
"Talked with an astronaut on the space station..."

new topics

top topics

join