It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My First Dutch Oven Experience

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Long time I wanted one, after watching so many videos I found this is probably the most multitalented and easy to use cooking device. This thing actually can cook everything from meats to bread.

Couple of days ago, I went to a store for something else and found this cheap Dutch oven for 30 bucks, it's about 12 inches diameter, it has legs and handle. I seasoned as soon I got home and this morning I gave it a shot.

I wanted to go outdoors and try it but snow is coming, so I kind of figured out something simple to cook at home but also exploring some of its features. I got some meat that doesn't look tender as a challenge. Kids doesn't like veggies too much neither.

I pre seasoned the meat with some spices and salt mix, not too much. Wrapped it and let it rest all night.

Sealed the meat and transfered it to the pot.

Added sautéed onions and mushrooms, some broth and red wine.

Put it in the oven with the lid at 350 degrees for about 2 1/2 hours.

Served with mashed potatoes. The meat was very tender, the flavor and aroma were heavenly. I collected all the juices and made a gravy which I put back into the pot. Delicious and simple.

Now I need to make room in my car next to my metal detecting gear, because I'll take this pot with me outdoors. No way I can carry it in the backpack but for camping with family and friends, this is just great.
edit on 18-1-2020 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Always wanted one, haven't gotten it yet....but you do make me yearn for one again.....

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I honestly didn't know what to expect when it said "Dutch Oven"

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   
For real...plus in the food section.
I was guessing it was "guess what i had for dinner" or something like that.

a reply to: Macenroe82

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy
Always wanted one, haven't gotten it yet....but you do make me yearn for one again.....

Buy it !, Buy it !

It's the ultimate survival pot.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
For real...plus in the food section.
I was guessing it was "guess what i had for dinner" or something like that.
a reply to: Macenroe82

For dinner???....hahaha....I was eating the plate in the photo around 5:30 am with few glasses of cabernet sauvignon. Tell me who's having a better breakfast than me today

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 07:48 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Try making this bread Trueman!! It's no lie that it's this easy and it rivals those expensive artisan loaves.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I have one that I absolutely love. They can be a bit hard to learn the heat ranges.

This will help.

Enjoy

Forgot to add: if you take it camping bring aluminum foil to make a wind break around it to prevent cinders blowing around the area.

Alternatively, you can use spring form mold for cakes. I bring two with, one for top and bottom, they perfectly protect from wind and pack easily in the oven.
edit on 18-1-2020 by Notoneofyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 09:21 AM
link   
A well seasoned, cared for set of cast iron cookware will last a lifetime. I've had all the non stick, copper coated new fangled stuff, but I've always went back to my cast iron.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Wow, some people on this site really have no Sense of humour at all. Just goes to show how much influence the Left have had on Society!

Anyways, the dish doesn't look too great from where I stand, too many mushrooms!

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Bread is the next in the list. I'm feeling like one Dutch oven is not enough.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Notoneofyou

Great chart, thanks !

Yes, I just saw a video where they talk about the charcoal. Definitely I got to use your chart.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CrazeeWorld777

Man, if you're an outdoor person, you must like mushrooms. Survival food for sure

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Yeah my first thought was "under the blanket"...then I looked to see if it was in the jokes forum.

Hey OP...pics of the Dutch Oven or it didnt happen.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   
We use dutch ovens quite a bit in the summer out on the fire pit. We have a big deep covered frying pan style that is great for chicken, a huge cast iron one with legs for when we have friends and families over, and an aluminum one without legs for making small meals for just two to five people. I used to hang the aluminum one over the fire, but we did away with the arm and put in an old stainless steel floor grate retired from the mine over half of the pit, so we just set the pot on top and cook up there. The ones with the legs work like that too, but we put coals on the top of the cast iron ones to cook from the top too. Makes really good crust with the coals on the top.

It is good that you learned how to cook in the dutch oven, I really like cobblers made in the ovens with the coal lip on the top.

We only did one cooking fire last summer, the wife was kind of bummed out about that. The kids and grandkids didn't come over much last summer so we did not grill out much or sit around the campfire. I have to quit bringing homemade soups and stews over to them, make it so they have to come here for free food.

edit on 18-1-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Yeah my first thought was "under the blanket"...then I looked to see if it was in the jokes forum.

Hey OP...pics of the Dutch Oven or it didnt happen.

Here my friend

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Love, love, LUV cast iron cookware! Everything tastes better in cast iron! I don't even know how many cast iron Dutch Ovens and skillets I have anymore, it's a lot.

Doesn't sound like you seasoned your DO first, did you?

If you didn't, you should. You've kind of already started the process, but you should give it a dedicated seasoning or two. This will establish the famous non-stick patina coating which is way better than any teflon type product!

If you're unsure how, it's easy. Just post back and I can give you some instructions.

And once you've got it seasoned remember...never, and I mean NEVER, use soap and water to clean it!! (cardinal rule of cast iron cooking).

A lot of times what I do with mine is to grind the inside of the DO/pan down with an angle grinder before I season it (i.e. when it's brand new). I grind the inside down to a mirror finish, and grind away all the rough pebble coating from the casting mold. Then I oil it up and season it. Fried eggs will slide right out of the pan with their own weight, like on the best non-stick coating you've ever seen!

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Then I oil it up and season it.

I use bacon fat for mine.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Awesome! I am having fun with my new cast iron cookware that Santa Claus got me for Christmas. No more anxiety on what's for dinner when the power goes out, that's for sure.

I have a big 14 inch pot too for going over the backyard fire pit this summer when family visits. My family are loving it and my grandsons call it our castle kitchen. Lol.

The first thing I made was cinnamon rolls and then pan pizzas from crescent roll dough that was not used at Christmas dinner. We have been experimenting like crazy too. I have been using coconut oil to season and maintain my cast ironware. It has been doing a good job and less expensive then olive oils.

If you don't clean it in a timely matter, I found those plastic scrungies clean it up quickly with hot water. Hard enough to break the debris loose without damaging the baked seasoning integrity.

Edit add: my Dutch ovens have a stand that can be used under neath or inside for when you want to bake cakes using your regular cake pans inside. It lifts them up so heat circulates like a oven. The pic of Dutch oven with just coals on top was simply keeping food warm, didn't want to over cook or burn the the bottom.
edit on 1 18 2020 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join