It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Denver - Happy 76th Birthday <3

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   
December 31, 1943 the world was blessed with the birth of a man, musician, philosopher, songwriter, actor, humanitarian and more.

For those of us who 'grew up' with John, his 300 songs of which 200 he composed? I believe those songs 'set us apart' forever as people who believed in 'more' because he told us we could 'be more'. That he was born in Roswell, New Mexico has perked more than a little interest as his songs were so, out of this world. (Ok, I made that whole last part up - but he many of his tunes were 'otherworldly').

An introvert, a man who always felt he 'belonged somewhere else', a self proclaimed 'misfit'? John brought those of us who 'listened' a treasure trove of acceptance and belonging. For a moment, with his music, we didn't feel so outcast, and alone.

I could post 200 of those songs I know, but most of the younger crowd would only recognize them from elevators music and doctors waiting rooms.

For me, and in a tribute to John, I'll post the tune I believe - he believed in - more than any other.

I'll post the 'tune' that 'raised me' from a young girl, into a woman who's never forgotten the 'Fire and the Wings' that will fly me home.
They say John was a drunk. That he shouldn't have been flying when he failed to switch fuel tanks during the flight he ultimately died in.

I'm not here to talk about his death, but to celebrate his life.

Happy Birthday John. You'd of been 76 today and I have no doubt you'd of been singing here on earth today, if you'd not have left us, just as you're singing now in heaven.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   

My biggest John Denver memory is actually more a memory of my elementary school music teacher Mrs. Willis. She used to pull out her guitar and we'd all sing along to this one.

She was a fantastic music teacher and she directed the select choir that was admission through audition only. I made it in, and that choir sang at Disney World while I was part of it. It sang at the New Orleans World's Fair just before my time when the older brother of my friend across the street was on it. It was a good choir. She also directed the choir at my church. I did triple duty -- every school musical program, select choir, and church choir -- for three years.

By the time I was done with all that, I was burned out of singing and never sang again.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Somebody’s going to play this so might as well be me .

A lot of people don’t realize this. But if you crank this song up it really jams .

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

They say John was a drunk. That he shouldn't have been flying when he failed to switch fuel tanks during the flight he ultimately died in.

Eff them, whoever ‘they’ may be.
He made a lot of people happy when they heard his music, and he still does.
My son is fourteen years old and has John Denver on his playlist.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

And here I thought you were going to post this one!

I like the 'hound dogs' part!
edit on 0322Tuesday202013 by silo13 because: vid fix

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Keep singing.

It's the only thing you can do with joy, no one else can, just like you can.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I had the privilege of seeing him in concert when I was a kid, best damn night of my life! His music was like no other, and can't be topped, IMO.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   
He is still loved and celebrated, in my home state of West Virginia...

"Country Roads" finalizes Mountaineer home victories, and will probably do so for a very long time...

edit on 31-12-2019 by madmac5150 because: West Virginia!!

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 09:50 AM
link   
John was a great folk singer-song writer and as popular as he was in the States, he was really big in Europe.

So sad his death and like so many musical artists that have passed away, I had intended on getting a copy of his music just before he died. So many times I have not made the purchase because I didn't want to jump on the dead artist band wagon when the great ones pass away.

I believe that the best music is behind us and with the passing of every great musician it gets further behind and eventually lost.

Thank you John, deepest respects for the music you gave me in my youth that lift me up to this day.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: silo13

He lost control of the plane he was flying when he switched fuel tanks. The lever was in an awkward spot.

edit on 1/1/2020 by Creep Thumper because: ADDED VIDEO.

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I got to see JD sing in the Spokane Opera House shortly before he died. What a show. He had such a voice.

posted on Jan, 2 2020 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Gandalf77

I saw him in concert several times!!!! great memories! at one he stunned himself when he hit a BAD note so BAD he literally stopped the song and apologized!!! he hosted the tonight show a few times and my friend and I snuck around on the big lot after the taping was done and ran into seals & croft (they were the musical guest that night) told them we were looking for john and they told us exactly where to find him! that was A LONG long time ago when you could do stuff like that!! his music made people happy!

saw him at the greek theatre it was an outdoor venue and he had a back drop of black sky with all these stars, it was so beautiful with his music......found out the greek theatre got torn down...such a shame

top topics

join