It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Gas Prices in the U.S. Could Reach $2.15 Per Gallon This Spring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The Energy Information Administration (EIA) predicts that gasoline prices throughout the United States could soar above the record $2.06 price per gallon set last May and up to $2.15 this spring of 2005. Critics of the Bush administration assert that this is Bush's time to challenge OPEC and end their tyranny over the oil industry.

money.cnn.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - During the busy 2005 driving season, which runs from April through September, gasoline will average $2.10 a gallon, up 20 cents from the same period last year, the Energy Information Administration said in its monthly energy forecast.

The record high U.S. gasoline price was $2.06 a gallon set last May. However, when adjusted for inflation in today's dollars, the highest price for gasoline was $3.08 a gallon in March 1981, according to the Energy Department's analytical arm.

Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon on Monday urged the Bush administration to lobby OPEC harder to lower oil and gasoline prices, which he said have "clobbered" consumers.

"OPEC is going to look out for OPEC. The question is whether this administration is going to stand up for the American consumer," Wyden said in a Senate floor speech. "I don't think it's right to let OPEC run roughshod over the American consumer."

The oil cartel meets on March 16 to discuss oil production policy.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I agree with the closing statement of this article. That being the United States Government and the Bush Administration must take action against the oil cartel of OPEC. OPEC is the bully of the oil industry, pushing gas prices to record levels because of their industry demands.

However, I also hope that maybe this huge spike in gasoline prices will cause people to begin to realize the need for alternative sources for both gasoline and energy. It is likely that along with this jump in gasoline prices, there will be a jump in sales of Hybrid Vehicles.

Related News Links:
www.post-gazette.com
www.usatoday.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Oil prices now change daily in one hour 5%,more than half of stocks changes since $20 (why)
The OPEC Cartell Conspiracy!

[edit on 3/8/2005 by UnMature]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Meanwhile Iraqis pay 15 cents a gallon for fuel. They protested the price hike..it used to be 7 cents a gallon under Hussein.

Why do we have to pay more than 2 bucks a gallon? Because our corporations aren't operating profitably. They pay their executive level employees an ungodly sum of money just to squeeze into a two-piece and show up for the catered meetings.

The system is ridiculously top-heavy, and given enough time and perhaps a little push, WILL come toppling over.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Perhaps now is as good a time as any to add a dollar or so tax to every gallon of gas sold, in order to make alternative and less 'geopolitically' resources more profitable?

Or even to set it up so that when gas prices start dropping again, that they are artificially frozen and not allowed to drop down below say 2 bucks or something.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

OPEC is the bully of the oil industry, pushing gas prices to record levels because of their industry demands

Thats the market. Its not a conspiracy, they control oil, and they work together to control the market so that they can make profit. Heck, they aren't even gouging their customers very much

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I doubt many Europeans will be sympathetic to our plight of $2.15 a gallon of gas, they pay many times that due to high taxes.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Oil had another good day with cold northeastern U.S. temperatures giving fundamental support. OPEC has announced that they will not step up production. Looks as if that gas could get up to 2.15. I am paying 1.99 now so I am not at all surprised. The weak U.S. Dollar is also helping oil to go up.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
So stop buying it!

If Americans stopped using such tremendous quantities of gasoline, prices would become unsustainable, the market would crash. I sold all my cars and walked to work (until I lost my job). If more people got rid of their SUVs and used mechanical lawn mowers instead of gasoline or electric, we would not be in such dire need.

Diminishing gasoline use would force a resurgence in local business, because people couldn't drive to the next town over to shop at the big box stores. I don't think we should legislate against cars, people just need to take some responsibility for the current situation.

Lowered demand for gasoline would be reflected in skyrocketing prices, which would increase the incentive for more people to do without. The whole thing is a house of cards.

Electricity isn't the answer either..most of it is still generated using coal, coal mined using diesel equipment.
It's a vicious cycle, but it's one we can put a stop to.

I'd bet my life that if we didn't need energy so bad we wouldn't have invaded Iraq. All that suffering..just so we can drive around in style and thumb our noses at the world...

Just a little childish don't you think?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The days of cheap gas are over. I think people need to wake up and start making plans, the end of the long commute is on the horizon. 50 years of madness are about to end quite abruptly. Think of the black outs in the United States and ensuing chaos.

It's funny really, I can see people riding around on horse carts talking on their cell phone.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
In Canada, the average price for gas is 80 cents/litre.

That's 3.10/US Gallon. [CAD].

That's $2.55/US Gallon [USD].

That's an average price. It gets into the low 70's, and up into the high 80's, and it has been above 90. That means up to 2.89 US/Gallon.

Unless I'm sorely mistaken, maybe you guys should suck it up and take the bill, or do something about it.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by Viendin]

new topics

top topics

join