It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Big Brother Own You via Your Car or Truck Part II? / OnStar shut down the vehicle!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   
December 4, 2019 :

Authorities worked with OnStar who was able to shut down the vehicle

In the early part of 2009, GM introduced what it calls Stolen Vehicle Slowdown. This feature uses the GPS locator embedded in every OnStar-equipped car or truck sold by the company to coordinate its position with police officers in pursuit and then, at their command, gradually shut down the vehicle's ignition system.

Back on [911] as on September 11, 2019 I wrote another thread on my experience with a GM software update which basically took over the compete use and control of my truck which is a 2019 Colorado. As is so typical, I was mocked, scorned and several members said that it was all my fault. Sure. I didn't attach the previous thread as you can search for it as I simply don't want to have this thread impeached for violating some rule.

So now we fast forward to this obscure incident that I found that happened yesterday. Don't ask me how I found it as I seem to have a gift in that if its out there I will find it. Its been that way my entire life.

So lets get to the subject and matter at hand:

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Ill. (KFVS) - The company OnStar helps authorities in Jefferson County Illinois a supposed suspect driving a stolen vehicle. On Dec. 3, Deputies from the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office along with officers from the Mt. Vernon Police Department where able to stop a suspect who was driving a stolen vehicle. Authorities worked with OnStar who was able to shut down the vehicle, while investigators where chasing the vehicle. Bobby Smith 42, of Granite City was arrested without injury.

OnStar helps authorities in vehicle chase

First of all I don't support criminals nor am I one. However lets expand our thought process as to whoever is in charge, will run whatever show is out there in the future. That includes corrupt politician's and public sector employees at the local, state and federal level. So think about it. So one day your on a trip using that FREE Goggle GPS maps device while in your car and it takes you somewhere. Then the car just shuts off. Then you disappear and are never to be seen from again.

Conspiracy? Aliens from space gotcha? Nah. Its just some deplorable public servant or global organization. You do remember that Putin ordered the KGB to return to and use typewriters several years ago right? Just look at the impeachment process and if they want you they will come and get you as you are probably like me. An individual with no power and ongoing compromised rights.

So what say you?

edit on 5-12-2019 by Waterglass because: added

edit on 5-12-2019 by Waterglass because: typo

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
My 98 s10 will never have that issue, and the manual transmission and lack of demand for parts should discourage any thieves. Well anyways, enjoy your new truck.

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

In regards to the ability for them to this itself? I see the potential for a ton of abuse.

in regards to the incident in question? I see no issue at all.

As soon as the proverbial line is crossed that separates *police working with the vehicle owner to get their reportedly stolen property* and *police doing it on the own volition either without oversight or with a questionable warrant*, we have big problems.

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

Sooner or later power always corrupts along with money. As we advance technology, individual rights disappear.

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Yes, OnStar can locate and shut down my vehicle in the event it is stolen. You have to pay for this service, and you must go through a law enforcement agency. I see that as a good thing.

Could this be abused? Of course, just like firearms can be abused or computers can be used to commit crimes and steal money from the unwitting. But just because something CAN be abused does not mean we stop using them. To condemn OnStar in advance sounds a lot like "pre-crime."

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I say...this was always the underpinning objective of these kinds of systems, even though manufacturers masqueraded them around as "value added services".

ETA - I said this way back when LOJAC came out. Why would anyone ever want to find their stolen car? If someone ever steals one of my vehicles, I never want to see that thing again...EVER! Heck, I'd probably even wait a couple days before reporting it, just to make sure it was trashed beyond hope or already turned into a taxi cab in the Philippines!
edit on 12/5/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I remember Wikileaks warning us.... but we already knew, it would happen.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Anyone who is under the illusion of privacy and that big brother isn't watching your every move isn't that bright.

There is damn near an electronic record of everything you do nowadays. Even stuff you probably don't even think about.

Cellphone is tracking you. Heck, the first move for detectives nowadays is to pull up cell phone records of suspects to figure out their location.

Car is tracking you. GPS. Not only that cars all have black boxes. Insurance companies know if you were speeding, etc.

Credit cards. Ever single item you purchased is in a data base. At some point, companies will mine that data. Imagine your health insurance going up because you bought a bag of Doritos. I saw an article where one company could predict divorce based on purchases...

Banking records.

While some of this stuff can be convenient, the problem is that they can also be used for corruption.

Remember, the plot in Minority Report was that Tom Cruise was framed....

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

My old car doesn't have On Star or do software updates so I'm good. Just another reason to keep My Lil Pony on the road for as long as possible because I'm afraid that once she bites the dust for good it might be difficult to find a new vehicle without all of those unwanted bells and whistles.

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This is a theme in a lot of post apocalyptic stories where an EMP cripples all the modern cars. A more nefarious scenario is fi there is a master kill switch. Imagine a corrupt government just shutting down 90% of the cars to prevent movement...

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
the ci-a has been known to take control of cars, speed them up out of control, to crash said car and assassinate people they 'deem' worthy of death.
that is how they supposedly whacked michael hastinngs

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Ahhh,a very good thought and something to make one think
of the possibilities.

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftyArrow

Taken from one of the YouTube clips you posted:

Documents released by WikiLeaks appear to show that the CIA was looking into technology to remotely take over the control systems of cars and trucks.

Whenever the CIA is involved in anything related to PRIVATE goods, that IS NOT a good thing.

The public are being targeted everyday.

We're being subliminally manipulated on social media every day to vote a certain way, or buy a certain product. Heck, before social media, we were targeted by subliminal advertising used in TV commercials, or ads in magazines.

Now, the government, including hackers and spies, can infiltrate your privacy inside your residence, by hacking into security products installed in your home, including web cams and mobile devices.

Improving technology has the capacity to monitor everyone's daily life, including our messages and activities.

So, is it much of a surprise that government agencies, including hackers, can now control our vehicles?

Yet most people could care less and it's just going to get worse. Most of the new cars coming out these days are able to connect to the internet.

According to the Santa Monica-based nonprofit group Consumer Watchdog, an estimated 17 million new cars will hit U.S. roads in 2020, most of which will contain software for accelerating, steering and braking that contain security flaws that are susceptible to being hacked.

A hacker could feasibly gain control of multiple vehicles on the road at the same time, the report alleges, leading to major gridlock or thousands of fatal wrecks.

“A hacker with only modest resources could launch a massive attack against our automotive infrastructure, potentially causing thousands of fatalities and disrupting our most critical form of transportation.”

The report alleges that two-thirds of cars on American roads by 2022 will have internet connectivity to components such as the engine and brakes.

“A plausible scenario involving a fleet-wide hack during rush hour in major U.S. metropolitan areas could result in approximately 3,000 fatalities, the same death toll as the 9/11- attack,” the report states.

Although carmakers have acknowledged to investors that their cars are vulnerable to hackers, they have tried to downplay the issue to the public, Consumer Watchdog claims.

losangeles.cbslocal.com...

edit on 12/5/2019 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   
What do you guys wanna bet all this bs was paid for directly using the (faked)auto bailouts?

The onstar box is behind the stero in most cars, unplug the antenna wire to disable it.
Onstar admitted it's services track you even without a subscription.
You have to call the company directly to disable it they claim.
I'd go ahead and unplug the police state garbage.

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Wonder why this is such a surprise for many. Stop the payments on your smartphone and check out what happens.
If you buy these technologies at will and on credit, you need to pay for them, or the use of the device is bricked.

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna
the ci-a has been known to take control of cars, speed them up out of control, to crash said car and assassinate people they 'deem' worthy of death.
that is how they supposedly whacked michael hastinngs

Not from a stock car computer. Someone would have had to switch in/out a hacked computer module, plus some other mods.

new topics

top topics

join