It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your first, and instinctive always, response to a Person who doesn't agree with you must always be c

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 03:54 AM
link   
You must always respond to people in a courteous fashion. I can prove it in three points:

One: The things you know are practically nothing.

Two: There is a distinct possibly others know more that you.

Three: You must synthesize the things you know with the things you don't know.

FACT!
edit on 8-11-2019 by Zelun because: FACT!

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Zelun

edited for " reasons "

edit on 8-11-2019 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I did. Admittedly. I'm trying to figure out how to delete this thread. I guess a mod has to do it. @

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Let's try threats!

Hey Zaphod. I think your knowledge of aircraft is subpar. And you, the Redneck, your thinking about physics in a backwards fashion. And you, Ahabstar, your avatar is far too robotic to be comprehensive of anything. Then we've got Gothmog, who I respect. Back me up, man.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 04:18 AM
link   

can you not just edit your OP to say what you intended this thread to address and parse the thread title down -= i shall delete my response if you do

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 04:22 AM
link   

okay I will try

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 05:00 AM
link   

I love how "reasons" were in quotes but not the actual reasons. Come out with it. I know you have feelings about this, and we're all listening. Let it out. You might find your frustrations aren't so remote.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

can you not just edit your OP to say what you intended this thread to address and parse the thread title down -= i shall delete my response if you do

I like her just for thinking, were all caught in the matrix.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 06:00 AM
link   
When I disagree with someone, I stalk them from the shadows. I hide between forums and seek out their real ID. I then find pictures of their dog, the names of their family, sisters, brothers, mothers, fathers, uncles, aunts.. I peruse their posting history on archives, and see them as the innocent person they once were, willingly giving out so many details.

Then I create a website devoted to them, with every aspect of their life in chronological detail, displayed for the world to see replete with images, photographs, birth certificates, voting records and so on.

It is only then, when they are begging for mercy.. do I relinquish my power and say "Well don't disagree next time."

True story.. did that to a guy on usenet once..

*runs away*

edit on 8-11-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   
If we're being honest.

I usually give my monitor the middle finger, and move on to something more worthwhile.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   
There’s a big difference in how I used to handle disagreements and what I try to do now.

I try to leave obvious opinions alone.

I try to leave obvious trolls alone.

I stop my input into the discussion when the other poster is dishonest or simply fallacious.

I try to deal and comment only on the facts unless I’m interested enough to express my opinion.

I try to keep it in perspective when I fail miserably at any of the above.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop
When I disagree with someone, I stalk them from the shadows. I hide between forums and seek out their real ID. I then find pictures of their dog, the names of their family, sisters, brothers, mothers, fathers, uncles, aunts.. I peruse their posting history on archives, and see them as the innocent person they once were, willingly giving out so many details.

Then I create a website devoted to them, with every aspect of their life in chronological detail, displayed for the world to see replete with images, photographs, birth certificates, voting records and so on.

It is only then, when they are begging for mercy.. do I relinquish my power and say "Well don't disagree next time."

True story.. did that to a guy on usenet once..

*runs away*

Note to self: do not disagree with gallop

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
There’s a big difference in how I used to handle disagreements and what I try to do now.

I try to leave obvious opinions alone.

I try to leave obvious trolls alone.

I stop my input into the discussion when the other poster is dishonest or simply fallacious.

I try to deal and comment only on the facts unless I’m interested enough to express my opinion.

I try to keep it in perspective when I fail miserably at any of the above.

edit on 8-11-2019 by YouSir because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Yes?

Can I help?

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   
How would you courteously reply to "Hey A hole, give me your money."?

I'd like to know 'cause I couldn't.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Attitude and tone determines if I participate further or bid them good day

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: YouSir

Yes?

Can I help?

Ummm...no sir...I've been admonished by the powers that be...that reply's to posts can only be posted in a dry...robotic...monotone...

So...in order to be in keeping with the dry...robotic...monotone...TOS...I decided to self delete my post that contained a touch of harmless humor...

Thank you...

YouSir

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I'd add another: Because that's just how civil people act.

I have a friend, son of old friends of mine. We see the world through very different lenses. He recently sent me an essay he'd read that reflects some of his views with which he knows I disagree. He asked my commentary on it because he wants to hear the other side from someone whom he considers to be thoughtful and intelligent. (Yes, he called me that.)

We are in dialog about it. We're not looking to convince each other, just understand each other better. Maybe each of our positions will shift a bit as we understand the other's perspective.

But, yes, courteous is not only good; it's right. And seems to be a lost art these days.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I agree with courteous and respectful unless you know they’re trying to pick a fight .

There’s also a fourth point one should also take to heart .

“ The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes “

Winston Churchill

edit on 8-11-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

You're good Justin.. I've stopped that now. Though there are a few people on here who would tell you terrible things about me...

terrible things

edit on 8-11-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join